Weird symptoms?

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Weird symptoms?

Postby DeAnander » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:04 am

I've been suspecting I must be perimenopausal for a couple of years now, though I am "only" 45 (going on 46). Nullipara, nulligravida, celibate (if any of that is relevant).

First my period, which was regular as clockwork for over 20 years, suddenly started to change -- for about a year it became annoyingly frequent, every 3 weeks instead of every 4. What a nuisance. Then I had 3 months with no period, and thought Hooray, maybe it's over! But no, after that I had a period that lasted almost a month. It was as if the old 3:1 ratio was still in effect, but stretched out over a much longer time span.

Then I started noticing my bleeding had changed a lot, too -- instead of the "usual" menstrual mess, I seemed to be getting a lot more blood and less mucus or other tissue -- serious, bright red, kind of scary blood. And then, lately, I've been getting blood *clots* -- sometimes large ones, sometimes accompanied by nasty cramps as if the clots were, ummm "sticking" in the cervix and causing cramping. I've been getting weird ultra-light 'neverending' menstrual spotting that goes on for weeks, and then occasional unusually heavy bleeding episodes. Given that I used to bleed every 28 days almost to the hour, all this chaotic menstrual behaviour is rather upsetting -- and damned inconvenient as I can never predict what will be going on.

And twice in the last year I have had completely unexpected, unprecedented dizzy spells. I had no idea until I dropped by this site that dizziness could be menopause-related. I have never had any balance problems in my life -- I'm a cyclist and a sailor, two things that require pretty good balance. But just this evening I had a really disorienting dizziness attack in the kitchen, followed by a sudden intense whole-body sweating and a nearly nauseous feeling. It was rather alarming and I wondered if I was coming down with some brutal new kind of flu, but after lying down for a few minutes I felt almost normal again (though rather anxious about the weird symptoms). Oh, and (this is weird) my teeth felt very strange right after this episode, kind of throbbing or aching. I almost wondered if I had eaten something mildly toxic, but everything I've eaten today was home-cooked and pretty tame.

I've also felt fatigued a lot lately, and though I've always been a light sleeper it seems that I've had a harder time sleeping lately. Hard to say whether this is my neighbourhood getting noisier or my sleep habits getting more irregular. And I've put on quite a bit of weight in the last 5 years despite eating pretty much what I've always eaten and getting about as much exercise as I've always got. As a semi-vegetarian I do eat a lot of soy and drink soy milk, which I guess is supposed to help soften menopausal symptoms. Lately however I've been eating a bit more meat than I used to, in a kind of superstitious attempt to compensate for losing more blood than usual. Maybe this is not such a good idea?

Anyway, I thought I'd research menopausal symptoms to see whether all this is normal or whether I should be rushing off to see a doctor (always a last resort imho!)... and while googling I found this site. I was really surprised, and relieved too, to see that fatigue and dizzy spells actually are on your list of menopausal symptoms. How long can I expect all this to last? It can't be over too soon imho -- this old heifer is more than ready to dry up.
DeAnander

Postby Zero » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:23 am

Welcome to the club, Kiddo! You've just given a classic description of peri-menopause and even though it's not normal to YOU, it's a very normal pattern for your age. "They" SAY that symptoms leading up to menopause can last between 10-15 years and the average age is around 51 for actual menopause... BUT, as many of us can attest, any of this can be different for us individually. My periods just stopped when I was 41 or 42 and I've never had one since. I don't remember (duh!) what kind of symptoms I was having before then because there wasn't as much talk about it all as there is now.

I had about 5 years of severe hot flashes, continuing problems with depression and almost a disorientation that made me feel like I was losing my mind (the brain fog, confusion, etc). I'm 56 now and still deal with many of the symptoms, but fortunately, not usually all at once.

What you should do is see your doctor for a checkup, discuss what has been going on, find out if they will test your hormone levels (I feel it's good to get some kind of baseline so you will know when things have really changed), and then decide what your best method will be to get through the transition.

We're always here to support you and we have doctors "on board" to help you with medical questions, so you're definitely not alone!
Zero

Postby pamibe » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:13 am

Welcome to the forum, DeAnander! [waves hello]

I had one of those dizzy spells again the other night... I didn't know if it was menopause, allergy drainage blocking my inner ear or I was just dying.
Just when you think you're out, it pulls you back in! :oops:

pam
pamibe

Postby hotpatootie » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:58 am

"Just when you think you're out, it pulls you back in! " :oops:

Yes, us and Al Pacino. :roll:

Debbie
hotpatootie
One HOT Woman!

YES IT DOES

Postby Hotgirl » Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:10 am

lol YOU SAID IT. JUST WHEN YOU THINK YOUR HOME FREE IT COMES BACK :lol: my hot flashes are back
Jeannie
HAVE A GREAT DAY...
Hotgirl
On Fire!

Postby Zero » Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:36 am

Sorry to hear that, Hotgirl....are you sure it's not just Halloween? :)

What were you using that helped them before? It would be interesting to everyone to see what might work for awhile but for most of us, will not continue to help. This is because our hormones and symptoms are still constantly changing which is going to require changing our remedies.
Zero

Postby parts2you » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:57 pm

im telling you, if not for me checking in with this site every few months, i would definately think i was insane!!!! these posts are SOOOOOO me.
i didnt get a real period for four months over the summer. i felt great. then it came back and i am now battling the same crap again. the dizziness, the burning/soreness on parts of my skin right before,during my period, the fatigue, my face breaking out (at 50 yrs old!!)bloating, constipation, and whatever else decides to mess with me at any given time. im going to be 51 in april, WHEN WILL THE PERIODS FINALLY STOP FOR GOOD???? then i think, be careful what you wish for, you might get it and then have OTHER issues, or keep the same ones.
its just all so up and down right now, physicallly emotionally------why do women have to deal with so much?? i need to exercise, but cant find the energy. ok, im rambling here...............just thanks for all the posts so we all know we are not crazy!
parts2you
One HOT Woman!

Postby purple haze » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:06 am

I hope its over soon. Yuck, I remember feeling like that. Just isn't fair to women. Is there someplace near you thats good for walks. I find they are the most relaxing for me.
purple is my color,
a hippie mama to a hippie mama
granny nanny to 4
purple haze
One HOT Woman!

Postby reneeci » Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:44 pm

I am new here and Google my way here. As I'm reading these threads I realize it's not just ME. THANK GOD. I'm 51 and sometimes I feel like I'm nuts! My poor husband got yelled at for buying the wrong yogurt! Geesh.

OK, so now that I haven't had a period in 4 months, I am grouchy, bored, achy, dizzy, sleepless, constipated, dried up everywhere, please tell me there is an end to this madness! Or is this how I'll be until the end of my days?

Thanks for being here. :D
reneeci

Postby Zero » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:34 pm

Welcome reneeci!! Don't worry, it won't last forever! Isn't it great not to have periods though? :) Send your hubby to this page (so HE won't feel alone either) http://www.minniepauz.com/male-menopause.html

I'll be in and out of here this week, but the Ladies will take care of you!! It's a great bunch that hangs around here! :)
Zero

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause