new to this

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

new to this

Postby Boudicca123 » Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:36 pm

Hi all,

I am what most would consider young, I will be 35 in Jan. But think I may be having some signs of early menopause, for a while i was having trouble sleeping and night sweats, and now My hair! OH BOY my hair in falling out like crazy. My mother went through meopause when she was 42, she was completely done, I have heard you can compare yourself, to your Mom. She is gone now, So I don't have her to ask. But I remember her standing in the snow drifts to cool off at 42. So am I just being paranoid? :roll:

Thanks for your help!
Boudicca123
Warm Pauzer

There's obviously something going on, but....

Postby Zero » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:24 pm

you're too young for it to be natural menopause, so now you have to start the process of figuring out what is out of balance. You're certainly not paranoid! We have to trust our instincts about our bodies. You didn't mention if anything is going on with your periods or if you see a doctor? Have you talked with any medical people about the symptoms you're having? Many of the menopause symptoms are the same as signs of thyroid problems. Have you had any tests for thyroid? Here's a message I have on my symptoms page:

Changing hormone levels can cause a variety of symptoms associated with the stages of menopause.

If you have two or more of the following symptoms, it COULD be the onset of peri-menopause. Many of the symptoms could indicate other problems too (such as thyroid), so it would be a good idea to make note of what you are experiencing and see your healthcare professional, who can then help you determine the best course of action for you personally.

You might want to check out http://www.earlymenopause.com too. There's a lot of good information about hormones and other causes for the problems you're experiencing. You might get more answers there.

Please let us know how you're doing because there are many others who are helped by reading posts like yours, ok?
Zero

My changes in my cycle

Postby Boudicca123 » Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:29 pm

Hi again,

Thanks for replying! You asked about the changes in my cycle, Actually it has gotten lighter in the last 6 months, before that I would flow every heavy, So heavy I couldn't leave the house for 2 days. I have also gone from a 28 day cycle to more of a 21 day cycle. I have never been tested for thyroid problems, I do see a doctor reguarly, BUT for seizures. I have epilepsy... Which happen Mainly around my period. The seizures cannot be controlled with meds, I am not a brain surgery canidate, I tried! But would have to learn to talk again, and would lose more of my memory, the seizures interfere with my memory. So I have a new device called a Vagus nerve stimulator, Its like a pacemaker. Which has helped alot. More than any meds ever did! So i wonder if menopause will help with the seizures too. Since I have most of my seizures with my period, WHY NOT?

Thanks again Ladies!
Brenda
Boudicca123
Warm Pauzer

Postby Zero » Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:17 am

Well, Brenda.....you certainly have a few extra issues to deal with and I suggest that you keep your doctor informed about everything that changes with your body and ask all kinds of questions because many times they don't make any connection with everything. We have to be our own detectives these days.

I haven't read much about how seizures could be affected by hormones, but you might want to do some research on it and bring it up to your doc. Thank goodness for the internet!

We're not doctors here, you know that. :) In fact, I have to remind people that I'm a cartoonist, not a doctor....don't even play one on tv! But we are here to listen and try to help women find support and information that will give them strength and courage and knowledge. You're already on the right track with wondering if menopause will affect the seizures!! I had a similar question when my former daughter-in-law, who has MS, went into remission when she was pregnant...... I said "why can't they find something that mimics pregnancy?" Well.....guess what? they ARE studying it finally. So that's what I mean about you asking questions about your own health.

I'm so happy that device is helping you!! Keep us informed on what's going on with you, ok? :lol:
Zero

seizures and menopause

Postby Boudicca123 » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:40 am

Hi,

Thank goodness for cartoonist!

Well this is what I found, On several sites it said that women with Epilepsy on average DO go through menopause about 10 years early.(wonder why that is) As far as the seizures are concerned, Estrogen excites the brain, so lowering it, great! But progesterone, prevents seizures, So not good! and another site said it can reduce seizure activity, or make seizures worse. I don't want to scare any one but they were also talking about women having their first seizures with menopause.

Thanks agian
Brenda
Boudicca123
Warm Pauzer

Re: seizures and menopause

Postby Zero » Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:24 pm

Boudicca123 wrote:Hi,

Thank goodness for cartoonist!

Well this is what I found, On several sites it said that women with Epilepsy on average DO go through menopause about 10 years early.(wonder why that is) As far as the seizures are concerned, Estrogen excites the brain, so lowering it, great! But progesterone, prevents seizures, So not good! and another site said it can reduce seizure activity, or make seizures worse. I don't want to scare any one but they were also talking about women having their first seizures with menopause.

Thanks agian
Brenda

Wow, Brenda!! You did GREAT!! I'm going to have to make you the official "Minnie Pauz" Researcher!! That is VERY interesting information you discovered, certainly for YOUR benefit, but also to the rest of us. The only thing you could do (as far as posting here on the board) is to give the sources of where you found the info. It just helps if anyone wants to read more. :)

So, are you loaded for bear for your next doctor appt? :wink: Do you feel more in control than you did in your first post? I'm guessing you do and that is our mission--to help women know their power and take control of their health. Oh yeah, and to make women laugh! :)
Zero

I'm so sorry

Postby Boudicca123 » Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:09 pm

Hello,

Oops, :shock: I'm sorry, I just visited so many places, Just to make sure I was getting the same info from every place. Spank me. :wink: I will know better next time.

Thanks Brenda
Boudicca123
Warm Pauzer

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause