Smells?

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Smells?

Postby biocce » Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:28 pm

When I was younger, I used to be very sensitive to some smells. After puberty that seemed to even out. Now the smell of meat (i think it is really the blood) makes me nauseaus :mrgreen: . anybody else get this one?

someone posted on the aches in the joint. I found fish oil helped me a lot... as well as taking up swimming.
biocce
On Fire!

Postby Zero » Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:48 pm

Welcome to the board, biocce!! I've never had that sensitivity to smells....very unusual, huh? With me, it's sound!! Different noises irritate me to no end.....along with the ringing in my ears. :evil:

Thanks for the tip about the fish oil too!
Zero

Sensitive to music to loud and violence

Postby lili » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:00 pm

Yes, I find that I am sensitive to music being too loud and violence in the news or tv shows. I don't like to see. Normally it doesn't bother me. It's hard with the noise issue because if I get into a car with my niece (who's a teenager) she likes it loud. :shock:
LiLi
lili
Warm Pauzer

Postby DaMomma » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:15 pm

Sometimes it smells,...sometimes it noise in general, other times I cant have it loud enough! :shock: I had normally been able to listen to ALL* ('cept opera) :? types of music, lately oooooohhhhh about in the last 3 years, I have to be in just the right "mood" to be able to listen to some... :(
Are we there yet?!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
born '63/peri since 2000
DaMomma
One HOT Woman!

Postby colopam » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:14 am

I found that I 'm not comfortable around loud noises (crowds or music) every since my big car accident, I just get feeling anxious/jittery (that's not really it but the closest I can describe.

Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby lili » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:25 am

Yep me too!

I think any loud noise bothers me now. All day yesterday I had my portable phone next to me and everytime it rang I about jumped out of my seat. I felt like the cartoon where someone sneaks up to a cat and scares it and the cat jumps up to the ceiling and is hanging upside down shaking.
LiLi
lili
Warm Pauzer

Postby colopam » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:49 am

Esp. loud talkers, my DH's family are all loud talkers (BIG family need to talk loud to be heard... like the Big Fat Greek Wedding family) and DH works in a place where they have to talk loudly so sometimes I have to ask him to lower the volume... an aside.....to me it's sooo weird to have people talking on their handsfree cell phones in a store or on the street 10 they talk louder 2) It's rude esp. when someone is waiting on them ie cashier/waiter and 3) how do you separate the crazies now that everyone seems to be talking to themselves???

Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby lolly » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:05 am

LOL...Pam,

I know the feeling,I come from a large Italian family...Friends were always aunt or uncle..im still not sure who is related and who is not :D

I love it and I will always be thankful for the fullness its brought me.

Having said that I do have a hard time now with loud noises .Not all of the time but there are times when i cant stand the TV loud especially when those low budget commercials come on full blast!!!.

I defiantly have become more sensitive to sound while in Peri
May you dream in color.
lolly
On Fire!

Postby minniepauz » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:51 am

ME TOO!! but it doesn't have to be loud sounds.....even soft, quiet sounds can irritate me these days!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby niftyfifty1 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:06 pm

Add me too. :D Since meno. my sniffer sensitivy has changed as well as tolerance to noise and type of noise.
I remember when I was pregnant with my children, I could not handle to smell or look at a chicken. Just the word made me quesy. Pregnancy hormones.
I also found I had to go through many new deodorants when I started meno. Now after 5 years post meno. the one that I settled on quit working and smells different on me. Switch again!!
My girls at one time, and now my 12 yr. old son is trying out different deodorants. Puberty hormones.

Never a dull moment being female.

:o
niftyfifty1

Postby lolly » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:21 pm

Very Interesting niftyfifty,

Its so true how we as women seem to be so sensitized to the things around us....Sound smells...and feelings...intuition.

I guess this is why we have such a hard time with changing hormones...our sensitivities...what we count on, is all thrown off.

We are a complicated spices aren't we.

The poor men in our lives...HEE HEE.

Its so true what you have pointed out...hormones, at what ever stage of life rule!
May you dream in color.
lolly
On Fire!

Postby DaMomma » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:58 am

Well put!
Are we there yet?!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
born '63/peri since 2000
DaMomma
One HOT Woman!

Postby fiona » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:47 pm

Hi Girls~~For over a year now smells have been so intense..I know it's peri related. I can't stand any of those air fresheners, or candles and I've switched to free and clear laundry detergent. And loud sounds drive me crazy!! My husbands family are all very loud....and they can talk a mile a minute, sometimes I just want to say "quiet pleaseeee" :x

"Complicated Spices" Ohh...I love that lolly :)

Fiona
Being listened to is so close to being loved that most people cannot tell the difference
~David Oxberg~
fiona
Combustible

Smelly smells and more

Postby Gigi40 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:59 pm

Yes, the smells get to me, too. For instance, a friend was burning a maple scented candle the other day, and to me it smelled like burning rubber - sickly, icky sweet. On another day, the same candle smells warm and yummy to me. This kind of thing happens to me all the time at certain points in my ever-changing cycle. At first, it used to worry me (neurological problem?) but I've found it is a normal hormonal thing for me. Loud noises, bright lights, loud music also intolerable for me at times.

My mother also had a very sensitive nose and had the same type of smell distortions or whatever it is. Now I understand her experience a lot better - she didn't really connect it with hormonal change as much as "getting old," but I think it was really all part of The Change for her, too.

Hugs,

Gigi
Gigi40
On Fire!

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause