Face and gum pain

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Face and gum pain

Postby Aussiemate » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:58 pm

I don't know why I even decided to look up menopause on the internet, but I am now wondering if some of my recent health issues are related to menopause. I lost a filling in a tooth some time ago and had no problems with it, but suddenly started getting aches on one side of my face. I decided that I had to get to a dentist, but first went to a doctor and got antibiotics to treat the infection that I assumed had to be there and then went to the dentist. The problem was that although I have terrible pains i my face and ear on the side that the tooth is, I cannot actually identify WHICH tooth is causing me problems. The dentist extracted one tooth that she said was loose, but the problems with my face pain are no better. Now I am thinking i need to check out menopause issues. I am 47 but had a hysterectomy about 5 years ago, so have no 'clues' with periods. I know my personal thermostat is haywire, so assume that I am perimenopausal. Can anyone help me with info about tooth/gum/face pain symptoms?

By the way, I forgot to mention that at the time of the hysterectomy I retained my ovaries but two years later developed ovarian cysts. I had one ovary removed, but still have one.
Aussiemate

Postby Zero » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:02 am

Hi Aussiemate...welcome to the Minnie Pauz board! You will probably get more of a response when I put this in a different section of the forum. :)

You are definitely within the age range for perimenopause, but with having a hysterectomy it's a bit different than those of us who haven't had one. We have several experts who can help you with that, as well as other women in the same situation, so hang in there with us.....

I relate to your problem with your teeth.....I've got the same problem, but with no insurance I can't afford to go to the dentist. I'm hoping that by taking more calcium it will help, but I don't know. I'm pretty sure I've got major bone loss at this point. :(

Here's a brief statement I found by doing a search for "dental problems with menopause":
Dental problems that can occur around midlife, such as receding gums or loose teeth, may be related to declining levels of estrogen and a loss of bone mass. Gingivectomy, a procedure to repair the gums after periodontal disease, is a common oral surgery procedure for women in midlife, especially for those prone to osteoporosis. Maintenance of your teeth and gums, including daily cleaning, and flossing, professional cleaning and regular checkups, will help reduce your risk of these dental problems.
Zero

Dental info

Postby Aussiemate » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:26 pm

thanks for the welcome! (Though I confess I thought I had been rejected in some way when you moved my post. WHO'S PARANOID??)

and thanks especially for validating my thoughts. Now when I see the dentist next week I will be mentioning my thoughts on my dental issues and menopause and see what reaction I get from the dentist. I will also be having an x-ray of my jaw so that will help set my mind at rest.

I will try googling on dental problems and menopause and see what I come up with.

Keep up the good work, team!
Aussiemate

dee.. dental care?

Postby biocce » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:23 pm

Hi Dee,

Have you tried drinking clove tea? IF you can stand the taste, that is. CLoves and black tea (you might have to crunch up the cloves to get them to infuse properly) but they are a great combination for your gums and teeth. Sometimes i throw some cardomom in there too. Some people suck on cloves or stick them near a toothache, or make a tincture that they rub on their gums if they have a toothache, but i found if i drink the tea it is prophylactic. Anyway, despite no dental insurance my mouth is still pretty well intact since i started watching what i put into it, and the tea has helped a lot.

biocce
biocce
On Fire!

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause