Paxil

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Paxil

Postby februarygirl » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:20 pm

Anyone on Paxil on the board? And how was your reaction? I had a bad reaction to Lexapro and am scared to try Paxil now.

Nancy
februarygirl
On Fire!

Postby Zero » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:50 pm

What kind of reaction did you have, Nancy? I've never taken Paxil, but I remember when I was given Elivil to take for depression, after a few days I quit taking it because I just didn't feel "all there". It was weird enough that I swore I'd never take it again. Several years later I was prescribed Prozac and at the time there was all kinds of stories about that....I didn't have any problem with it, but my doctor determined it wasn't working for me. She actually had me on Prozac and Ritalin, which I never understood. After trying about 3 different anti-depressants, I finally found that Zoloft was the most effective with the least side-effects..... I was on it for about 3 years (I think) and then I decided I wanted to stop. I did and even though I still struggle with regular bouts of depression, I don't think I need the drugs. I take St. John's wort once in awhile, but I think any benefit I see is just a placebo effect, which is fine with me. :) I guess I'm just saying don't be afraid to try something new.....if it can possibly help you find that balance we all need, and you're under the care of a doctor...then do what you think is right. If you don't want to take drugs or feel that your doctor is not taking the right treatment path, then find another doctor or educate yourself about alternatives for the problems you're dealing with. We just have to keep at it until we find what works!!
Zero

Postby februarygirl » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:34 am

Thanks Minnie for your advice. I took one 20mg pill of Lexapro and passed out 8 hours later. I was sick for two days. That is why I hesitate to take anything in that same family of drugs. However, the dr wants me to start very low with the Paxil - 5mg per day. I am still deciding what to do....I'll let you know.

Nancy
februarygirl
On Fire!

Postby Coping » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:47 pm

I have been on Paxil CR 12.5mg once a day for 13 months now. No problems. I had never been on any other similar medicine before so nothing to compare it to. My GP (yes, she is a woman) was adament I was way to young (40 at the time) for peri and I was desperate to feel normal again so I took it. I have never, ever battled with depression or panic but was having severe panic attacks with absolutely no changes in my life whatsoever to trigger them. She tried to up the dose to 25 mg a day but made me very sleepy. 12.5 mg is right for me.

6 months later I got over the embarrassment long enough to tell my mother and she diagnosed me a peri right away. Went to GYN and he confirmed I was textbook peri and put me on a birth control pill. Took me three tries to find the right prescription of those.

I am scheduled to go to by GP next month and hope to try getting off Paxil. Not sure I need it, not sure I ever did but am scared about having problems getting off it. However, I can tell you Paxil helped me over a rough patch and a scary adjustment period and I hope it helps you too.

I also encourage everyone to talk to their families about this. I have three older sisters and my mother is still living. Once I started asking specific questions, I learned alot about my family medical history that no one may have shared if I hadn't asked. My goal is to learn everything I can, take all the help I can get (medical, emotional, etc) and talk to my daughters openly. I don't want them to go through what I went through and not realize something real (albiet hard to diagnose) is going on!

Will keep you in my thoughts.
Coping
Hot Pauzer

Postby MariaEl » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:54 pm

I tried Lexapro also with severe results. ER by ambulence. Now I am trying Zoloft and Xanax until it kicks in and doing OK. Still have anxiety but it should subside and problems sleeping. Don't be afraid to try new ones - it took me a lot of tries to find the right blood pressure meds and I was ready to give up. M
MariaEl
Combustible

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause