Report on Sleep and Menopause

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Re: Report on Sleep and Menopause

Postby minniepauz » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:45 pm

I just want everyone to know that I do not mind anyone recommending products on this forum as long as it's not just an ad for their own profit. And if you do have a company and want to promote it here, then please be upfront about it and say so. At the very least, you could offer a link to minniepauz.com on your site or blog.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby blueskies » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:20 pm

Hi all,

Interesting about the sleep and early stretching exercise. Like berrykute I also don't have a lot of trouble getting to sleep but I wake constantly during the night. It's driving me nuts. I do have sleep apnea which is treated with a cpap machine but that sort of awakening is different (you don't know you are doing it). The awakening I'm talking in relation to this topic is is regular and to full consciousness. I'm going to try moving my exercise to as early in my mornings as I feel up to. And try to exercise more, too, LOL. Actually if exercise in the morning helps me to sleep better at night it might encourage me to exercise more.

blue
blueskies

Postby minniepauz » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:53 am

we have more in common, blue ..... I have a bipap :) Never take naps in the afternoon now!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby blueskies » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:43 pm

minniepauz wrote:we have more in common, blue ..... I have a bipap :) Never take naps in the afternoon now!

Hi Dee,

I'm having trouble using my CPAP at the moment. I adjusted to it very quickly when I got it last December -- within a week I was using it competently (I was VERY determined). But last few months I've hardly been able to use it at all. Within about 2 minutes of putting the mask on I have a hot flush and the flushes with the mask on are the worst -- sort of 'neverending' until I give up and take the mask off.

Last night I was a bit more successful. I took off the humidifier chamber (which means I'm gonna have a dry mouth as I'm a mouth breather but I really need decent sleep). Managed to sleep with the cpap/mask on for about 2 hours but I had a migraine yesterday/last night that made head too sore to cope with it -- the mask just caused more pain in the head and I had to take it off. However, have found out now that using it without humidifier chamber is the way to go for now.

I've really missed using my cpap every night as it makes such a difference to how I feel daily. I think I had sleep apnea for years -- no joking. It was at my insistance that I had my gp refer me to the sleep disorders clinic ( I just knew I had it and hubby said I sounded like I had it when I slept) because in his opinion I didn't 'seem' to look like I had sleep apnea -- too bright and cheery????. I was completely exhausted all the time. Test showed I start off with mild sleep apnea levels in early sleep that worsens to moderate and severe in deep sleep. Sometimes we just 'know' our bodies.

Last night was the beginning of my new resolution to start off trying to use my cpap every night again. As I said I got about 2 hours 'good' sleep. And even that small amount makes a difference. After years of bad sleep and then months of proper sleep with the cpap I just have to get back to using it regularly. It makes such a difference to how I feel.

I have a question. Why a bpap? I know there is a difference but not sure what. Is it a bother to you to explain the difference? It's only curiosity that prompts my question. I"m like that. Eternally curious. LOL.

smiles to you,
blue
blueskies

Postby minniepauz » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:16 pm

On my sleep test report it says "failed cpap @ 14".....not sure what that meant but I know that the cpap has one constant stream of air but the bi-pap has two pressures, one when you inhale and one when you exhale.

I hope you can get back to using it every night so you'll feel better every day. :) Maybe it's the mask? If you can try one that covers your nose and mouth, that might work.

I'm fortunate that my machine has a heated humidifier, but I can leave the heat off so it's a cool water humidifier. I found out if it's really humid in the room and I have the heat on, I get condensation inside the mask and it wakes me up (cause I'm about to drown!). Not really but it's weird.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby blueskies » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:05 pm

minniepauz wrote:On my sleep test report it says "failed cpap @ 14".....not sure what that meant but I know that the cpap has one constant stream of air but the bi-pap has two pressures, one when you inhale and one when you exhale.

Thanks Dee,

for explaining. I only need air pressure at 6 on my cpap. Which is pretty low. Apparently.

I hope you can get back to using it every night so you'll feel better every day. :) Maybe it's the mask? If you can try one that covers your nose and mouth, that might work.

That's the sort of mask I use, Dee. Being a mouth breather if I didn't have a full mask I'd have needed a chin strap to keep my mouth closed and keep me from breathing through my mouth and gaining no benefits. A chin strap (they tried one the night of the second test that was to see what level of air pressure I needed etc) just caused my erythema (hot red skin) to flare.

I'm fortunate that my machine has a heated humidifier, but I can leave the heat off so it's a cool water humidifier. I found out if it's really humid in the room and I have the heat on, I get condensation inside the mask and it wakes me up (cause I'm about to drown!). Not really but it's weird.

It's not weird. Condensation is a given with a full mask for me. Even with my humidifier turned to cool my breath still seems to heat up the air coming through. Maybe that's something else to do with the design differences between a bpap and a cpap??? just guessing.

I'm going to take some time to read up on bpaps so I understand why you need pressure for breathing both ways. off the top of my head I'd guess I have trouble when breathing in, but no trouble getting breath out. Guessing you have trouble both ways. Just guessing. I will read about it though so I understand bpaps. Will make us even because I can see you understand cpaps.

Either way, when I'm able to use my cpap properly in my line of 'what I love' it comes right after kids, grandkids and hubby. Then cpap. Everything else has to line up after it. When I first got it and had settled to using it after the first week, I used to get in bed and put on the mask and just think 'oh, you beautiful thing, you.' LOL.

smiles to you,
blue
blueskies

Quick Reply

Previous

Return to Menopause