bouts of quick depression and sleepin at 6pm!!

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

bouts of quick depression and sleepin at 6pm!!

Postby parts2you » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:11 am

ok, so i went through the cant fall asleep, cant stay asleep....over that. now, every now and then -usually every couple weeks...like last night---all of a sudden out of nowhere i get terribly depressed. and tired. come home, go straight to the sofa..fall asleep and dont move till i get up at like 3am to go in the bed! then proceed to sleep more, till at least 8, 9 am. wth????? all that sleep makes for me feeling really groggy,and body stiffness that takes so long to go away to start a productive day, after ive had such a waste of a night!! i know depression makes you tired, but im not depressed day in and day out. and sometimes, the sleeping all night like that, comes without the depression. is this just part of menopause and getting older? i had always been a late nighter and sleep in kind of person. actually sleepin way in !lol.....but i dont do that part as bad as when i was younger, and had been actually hoping for the not bein able to sleep in part.
i cant handle bein so tired at 6pm....my work isnt THAT tiring. anybody else?
parts2you
One HOT Woman!

Re: bouts of quick depression and sleepin at 6pm!!

Postby gorgeousfluffpot » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:32 am

do you think it might be a seasonal change? The clocks have gone back here so it is darker earlier, and the days seem shorter. Like you, I'm finding myself nodding off in the late afternoon and often am prodded in my armchair by Mr. Gorgeous who tells me that I have been snoring ... and it's only 5pm. I think that menopause brings about a sea change in all of your bodily routines - I find myself piddling more often and getting up in the night to do so. Depression is something that doesn't come often but when it does, it hits with all the subtlety of a piano being thrown across the room. The (infrequent) bouts of depression I've had are definitely chemical fluctuations in my body and have left me feeling listless, lacking energy and definitely sleepier.
I'd cancel out all the obvious causes - is there something that is stopping you getting full, proper sleep at night? A noise, perhaps? Computers and televisions in a bedroom definitely don't aid sleep, even if they're off. I'm convinced they emit something that interferes with your brain (in a 100 years' time I'll be proved right and someone will remark "GorgeousFluffpot said it first". But of course I'll be long gone and not able to reap the glory!). Anyway, check out the obvious, change your pillow and duvet, eat lighter at supper, eat lettuce in the evening (definitely aids good sleep).
Do you get enough natural daylight during the day? Do you work in the middle of an office, away from the windows? Try to get some daylight on your face ... there's something called Seasonal Affected Disorder which is a winter depression, caused by lower amounts of someting-or-other that you can only get form sun and light. It's a real condition, and people buy light-boxes to duplicate the sunshine that they cannot get over winter, and it balances out the lack of the whatever-it-is that you're missing.
Well that's me exhausted from ideas. So exhausted in fact that I may have a snooze to recover and it is only 4.30pm.
As long as this isn't a chronic condition, that is seriously taking over your life, then I wouldn't worry. Maybe a course of Vitamin B might help, but if it's occasional and temporary then blame the menopause (I blame everything else on it, including the teetering pile or ironing waiting to be done because my menopause means I'm too tired to confront it!!).
Anyway, keep well. . Keep strong. Don't worry ..
Take cover! Hormones on the rampage again ...
gorgeousfluffpot
One HOT Woman!

Re: bouts of quick depression n sleepin at 6pm!--add hot flash

Postby parts2you » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:53 pm

ok, so during and then after, after i was finally up and around...i got the worse hot flashes!!!!! so im thinkin its definitely hormonal. yes, i dont do well generally with the time change this time of year, or the winter in general...but seeing how this has been happening the last few months off and on,gotta be the hormones.damnit. its just frustrating to lose most of your weekend of feeling well when you work. i will say,though, its an improvement from what i was feeling seven,eight months ago and previous to that. God, i hope i dont go back to those days.
parts2you
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause