Hot Flashes - lots

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Hot Flashes - lots

Postby luvkitties » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:52 pm

Well, I tried taking Soy Isoflavones Tablets (50 mg), that I purchased at Costco, for my hot flashes. It's been a few months and theyyyyyre baaaack! I'm not sure I want to try Black Cohosh. There are so many conflicting thoughts on that. There's cancer in my family so - no hrt for me. Anyone find anything else that has helped? I just have the hot flashes for now - BAD and often. They make my hair flop and my make up almost run off my face. It's hard to feel good about yourself when you look like a wet rag but I'm trying to stay above it all. ....Calgon take me away.....
luvkitties

Postby Zero » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:31 pm

luvkitties (you need to talk with crittermom :)), it's possible that the 50mg of soy isoflavones isn't enough to help your hot flashes. The other possibility is that your body doesn't respond that well to it. This all gets very frustrating, but all we can do is to keep experimenting with dosage, time of day and lifestyle changes.

Could you tell me how much you paid for the bottle at Costco? I'm wondering because I just started taking Effisoy (http://www.minniepauz.com/effisoy.html) and although it's going to run about $30 a month, I've done some research and found out that this product is one of the best out there for the price (because of the type of processing they do and they use fermented soy). I just started it, so I'm not sure how it's going to affect my hotflashes and insomnia, but there's lots of evidence that putting soy into your diet will benefit your overall health.

I really like Revival Soy also, but it's way too expensive for me to take consistently at around $60 mo., plus I'm really bad at having to mix a shake each day....I'd rather go for the convenience of the tiny little Effisoy pill.
Zero

Postby luvkitties » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:36 am

Minniepz, thanks for your input. I can't remember how much I paid, and threw out my Costco receipt, so I went to their site. The TruNatureSoy Isoflaven softgels are $12.49 for 200. Here's the link for them : http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.a ... 9*&Browse= so you can read up on them. Actually, I just reread my bottle and the suggested use is to take 2 softgels daily. I'm hesitant because I read somewhere that it's possible that soy may prevent my calcium from being absorbed. Also, I just read on the label "Warning: If you are pregnant or nursing, consult your physician before taking this product. Women who have been advised against hormone replacement theraphy should consult with their physician before using this product." ...... It seems like for every good thing I read about something, I can find a bad thing written about it. The more I read, the more I am confused. I believe ' Knowledge is Power', but this all is driving me crazy.
luvkitties

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause