low ferritin/best iron supplement?

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

low ferritin/best iron supplement?

Postby cmoc » Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:09 pm

Has anyone upped their ferritin levels with an iron supplement? Can you tell me the best one to do this with the least side effects? My ferritin level was 12 (range 10 to 200) . I have just been taking one called easy iron but was getting low stomach ache and loose bowels, and have just realized it is in a yeast base, so want to change it.

Many thanks

Chris
cmoc
On Fire!

Postby oldbag » Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:59 pm

It's going to take at least 6 months, maybe more to see a big difference in your ferritin levels. As a women's health care provider I usually recommend a combo of foods, herbal teas and a commercial iron supplement. The food sources should be fairly easy for you to locate, for herbal teas I recommend a combo of red raspberry leaf with nettle( can add any other hebs for flavour) yellow dock tincture is good. Not sure if we are allowed to "name Names" re products on the forum, but I find the hemaplex-50 or hemaplex-75 to be well tolerated, also Trophic brand chelated iron supp. Remember to avoid black tea and/or milk with the supplement and that taking with vitamin C increases absorbtion. FYI, Research shows as much effect from taking the tablets 3 times a week to daily useage so you can prevent constipation and save money on the "less is more" approach. Good Luck!
oldbag

Postby cmoc » Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:27 am

Thanks for your reply, have written it all down. I have started on a liquid iron supplement, but will add in the red raspberry leaf and nettles and yellow dock.

Your advice was much appreciated.

Best Wishes

Chris
cmoc
On Fire!

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause