Weight Gain

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Weight Gain

Postby wavecrested » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:55 pm

I have recently started gaining ALOT of weight and I am shocked. I have been eating alot for a few years but suddenly I noticed a huge weight gain. I am mortified. I have been about 15 lbs. lighter last year. Could menopause be causing this??? Where can I find some web sites for help!!!! There's diabetes in my family, I must lose this weight! :shock: :x :o
wavecrested

Postby Zero » Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:43 pm

It's something that so many of us have to deal with and there's no simple answer. The main thing is that when what you've been doing for so many years stops working (because of the hormonal changes that are irreversable), you have to do something different because our metabolism slows down.

Dr.Jane Johnston MBChB, MRCGP says:

Every year over the age of 40 years - our Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) slows down. Sadly this means that if we continue to follow our current eating and exercise pattern we will gain a pound a year! How depressing! We need to reduce our intake or increase our exercise to stay the same.

Why do women gain weight at the menopause?

This process, during the menopause, becomes even harder because our bodies want to store the fat for later - a bit like "puppy fat" stored at puberty. We develop "insulin resistance" making our bodies store, rather than burn, calories. What changes is how you handle food due to the increased "insulin resistance". For example , if you eat 1000 calories before the Menopause you will burn 700 of them and maybe store 300. After the Menopause you will store 700 and burn only 300! HRT can only partly help reverse this process."

There's a lot of information on this page: http://www.minniepauz.com/lowcarbeating.html , but one of the best books I've found to explain menopausal weight gain is The Menopause Diet by Larrian Gillespie. You can find more by doing a search for that exact phrase.

Try not to make it a crisis, that won't help. 15 lbs is not out of the ordinary during a year (at this time of life), but it will take more work than it used to to get it off.
Zero

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause