Feeling weepy (and tooty)

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Feeling weepy (and tooty)

Postby Pixna » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:22 pm

Hello everyone! I am new here and am delighted to have found this forum. While I don't have a lot of time to post on a regular basis, I am very grateful you are here. I just looked over the list of 35 symptoms, and apparently I'm knee-deep in about 18 of them.

I am 51 and have been experiencing perimenopause for a few years. Lately my symptoms have been getting much worse -- this past week the nausea, gas, and bloating have been particularly bad. Previously, headaches, weight gain, muscle aches (and restless leg syndrome), dry eyes and eye pain, insomnia, and fatigue had kicked in. My periods are incredibly frequent (every two to three weeks), but my doc said that while that's not common, it's not abnormal, and as long as I'm okay with it, it's not a problem. I AM okay with it, but it is exhausting me.

Today, though, for the first time I am feeling nonstop weepy. I could cry at the drop of a pin (heck, I'm crying as I write this). I guess I just need to know I'm not alone. Since I haven't been overly afflicted with hot flashes, I thought I was doing okay. But the sadness today is a bit overwhelming.

I don't have many friends my age or family to lean on, so my poor husband has borne the brunt of menopause. Any words of comfort, consolation, or understanding would be welcome.

Waving to everyone,
Pixna
Pixna

Postby pinetop » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:45 pm

You are not alone! I'm 53 & am having a nasty time with menopause also, only mine is mainly hot flashes (which are NOT flashes). They wake me up at least 10 times a night. I guess I don't cry too much because I'm too tired to cry!
pinetop

Postby Pixna » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:43 am

Thanks for the reply, Pinetop! I had no idea menopause would be such a rollercoaster. Luckily, my hot flashes have been minimal -- a few here and there (and I agree that they are more than "flashes"!), but they definitely are the most tolerable part for me right now. Insomnia and gastrointestinal distress along with restless leg syndrome, muscle aches, migraines, nausea, on-and-off appetite, weight gain, irritability, anxiety, fatigue, bloating, depression, crying jags, and worsening allergies have been the bulk of my problems (not to mention the bi-weekly periods). Gosh, when I read this it sounds like I'm certifiably nutty or at death's door! :shock:

My husband, poor thing, is having difficulty dealing with all this. It's hard for him to understand that this is "normal" (well, it's hard for me to understand sometimes, too).

I had uterine polyp surgery a little over a year ago and my doc thought I would go right into menopause afterward because my uterine lining is so thin. I was excited about the possiblity to have it done and over with, but there's been no such luck. Darn! :lol:

Thanks again for your reply, Pinetop!
Pixna

Postby scottie » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:13 am

Pixna, you are definitely not alone! I'm sure you'll find much encouragement and support here. Believe me, I know what those "weepy" days are like. Since I started HRT (and if I stay on it) I don't look at every situation like the end of the world, but I still have my days. I hope today is better for you.

scottie
scottie

Postby Pixna » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:21 am

Thanks, Scottie!! Today actually IS better. What's strange is that every day seems to bring something new -- the previous day's ailments may be lessened or gone, but new ones crop up. On and off I've had incredible eye pain and pressure and dryness (I don't see that one in menopause lists too often, but it seems to go along with menopause muscle pain and dryness in general), but then it disappears only to have something else take its place.

My husband used to joke that between ovulation and PMS, I had about one good day a month. Now, with menopause, he kids that it's down to about 5 good minutes a day. So I tell him he's right, and that not all those minutes are consecutive, so he better catch a few while he can! :lol:
Pixna

Postby scottie » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:00 am

I have dry eyes, too. That is when they aren't weepy. :wink: Maybe this DOES come with the territory.
scottie

Postby Pixna » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:11 am

LOL! I'm relieved to know I'm not alone in the eye department. There have been days I thought my eyes would just pop out of my head or that I had glaucoma or was going blind -- isn't it horrible how we dream up the worst possibilities? Then, a few days later, the problem would go away. Then it would come back a few weeks later, stay for a few days, and be gone again. So weird!

I wish I could pass a box of tissues to you through your computer screen! Perhaps we should take out some stock in the Kleenex company! :wink:
Pixna

Postby Zero » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:49 am

Here's some info about dry eyes:

Causes

Tear production normally decreases as we age. Although dry eye can occur in men and women, it is more common in women, particularly after menopause. Dry eye can also be associated with arthritis as well as a variety of over-the-counter and prescription medications. Because of this-and the fact that people with dry eye are more prone to the toxic side effects of eye medications- it is important that you tell your doctor the names of all the medications you are taking. This is especially true if you are taking diuretics, betablockers, antihistamines, sleeping pills, pain relievers, medication for "nerves" or even alcohol.

http://www.eyesite.ca/english/public-in ... ry-eye.htm
Zero

Postby Pixna » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:16 am

Thank you, Dee! I think another contributing factor for me is that I work on the computer eight hours a day. (That'll do it even to adolescents! :lol: ) But it's even more than dry eyes, it's tightness and tension -- like a muscle ache. I was taking antihistamines regularly for my allergies, which I'm sure is another contributing factor. Dry, pressured eyes and perpetual weepiness is a very odd combination! :shock: ---> That's how I think I look when my eyes get this way! :lol:
Pixna

Postby scottie » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:41 am

Did you say you have adolescents? Me, too. That's enough to keep things hopping, isn't it?
scottie

Postby Pixna » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:45 am

No, I don't, Scottie (thank heavens) -- but I feel for you! Going through menopause is bad enough, but with teenagers?!! YIKES!! You must have nerves of steel and a heart of gold!!
Pixna

Postby scottie » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:24 pm

Thanks for the compliment, Pixna. Really, they are dears, but there are alot of old and young hormones flying around right now. God gives a lot of grace!

scottie
scottie

Postby mfrompa » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:49 pm

He sure does Scotty!!,

Also, if God in His Wisdom has given us a companion, who will try to understand and be there for us, that is a true blessing as well.

In another post in Menopause Discussions, Dee has posted a site for the men in our lives. God Bless them.

And God Bless you all in this thread. I am surgical menopause for 25 years, age 56 will be 57 in March.
I still suffer hot flashes and dry eyes, and well, all 35 of those symptoms Dee has posted. They all cyle but that isn't surprising. In our femaleness, we were made to cyle, and so that is what the symptoms do.

I am going to make a separate post on surgical menopause in 3 generations. My mother-in law was kind enough to tell me about her and her mother and grandmother. And then I will tell about me my mother, grandmother.
love to all,
marcia
My goal is to accept the things I cannot change, with serenity, and the wisdom to know the difference.
mfrompa
Combustible

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause