So.... once you've got it...

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

So.... once you've got it...

Postby AlaskaGirl » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:37 am

I mean... once you're burning up on fire one minute, then freezing your butt off the next..

What is generally the first step as far as trying to curb down the hotflashes from hell?

Should I go to my doc and have some sort of test to see where I'm at in the big pauze? :?

Can they do a test like that?

I've had severe hotflashes for just about a month now and they aren't going anywhere... they are here for a while! :roll:

Aside from being irritable because of the hotflashes, I can't say my mood has changed drastically... but I'm definitely turning into a space-cadet when it comes to remembering anything.. :shock:

So anyhow.... I plan to go see the doc about the hotflashes either late this week, or next Monday....

Should I ask the doc about taking something to try and relieve them? And if so... does anyone think that taking the wrong thing (like maybe taking certain hormones or something) are one of the causes of rapid weight gain? :shock:

Are there non-hormonal Rx's available for hotflashes that work... but that don't have the same side-effects I've seen some on here write about taking hormones?

I'm just now trying to gather info.... Until then.. I am hot, cold, hot, cold, hot, cold.... SHEESH :roll:
AlaskaGirl

FSH test

Postby BrendainBC » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:59 pm

I had my hormones tested. After several months of feeling crappy, flushes, night sweats, irritability, no sleep, etc. I had a period that lasted four months !!! My GP kind of ignored me, but through perseverance and determination I demanded that he give me a referral to an OB/GYN.

I found out that I am indeed in peri-menopause; that I have a growth on my cervix (non cancerous). I am reviewing my options now ... the OB/GYN is recommending that I have an endometrial ablation <SP???> which will stop the bleeding; it won't stop the other stuff.

So go to your doc and ask for the FSH test ... at least you will know.

Brenda (45)
BrendainBC

Postby pamibe » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:11 pm

Welcome to the forum, Brenda and AlaskaGirl! :D

If you are indeed peri menopausal, there are options to keep the worst of your symptoms at bay... The Supplements forum might be a good place to start.

Pam
pamibe

Postby AlaskaGirl » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:08 pm

Thanks for the responses Brenda and Pam :D !!

I feel like I have so much to learn! To be honest... I'm not even sure what "peri menopausal" verses "menopause" really means :oops: ..

For example.. I'm assuming that "peri" refers to the beginning stages? But when do you go from peri to full blown menopause? :shock:

I'm sure as I read the forums and posts here, a lot of my questions will be answered.

In the meantime... THANKS again for the awesome responses!!! :D
AlaskaGirl

Postby pamibe » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:18 am

I'm assuming that "peri" refers to the beginning stages? But when do you go from peri to full blown menopause?

:lol: I wish I knew!!

Pam
pamibe

Postby Zero » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:36 am

Hi Ladies...... peri-menopause is basically what's between PMS and Menopause. :) Could be several years and at least they came up with a name for it. When you've gone 12 months without a period, you would be considered "through menopause" and also post-menopause. It gets really confusing but if you look at it kind of like another phase of our life that can't really be locked in a specific time period (hahahah...pardon the pun), it will be easier to conceptualize. If you look back at the time you were going through puberty, you probably don't know the exact date when your breasts started growing or the exact date that they stopped (hopefully it wasn't the same day! :) )

What I'm saying is that from this time on we need to be flexable, relaxed, confident and patient......how's that for menopause remedies? :)
Zero

Postby pamibe » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:17 am

Dee, that's the best example I've read to date!

I remember researching when I first started this journey... (ahem) and I was so, so angry. Why? Because I went to medical websites but found little more than: "Menopause: when a woman ceases menses".

Arrrgghhhh!!! :lol:

Pam
pamibe

Postby Zero » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:39 am

Thanks, Pam....I'm glad it makes sense :) I am working on writing more complete explanations for other parts of the whole process too. Hopefully, we can all continue to send the word out to more and more women so that when they DO start "changing" they'll know what to expect.

The cartoons have been a great way to give a quick glance at individual symptoms, like the one I did for irregular bleeding:
Zero

stuff for hot flashes

Postby trillium » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:51 am

Hey AlaskaGirl,

I've been taking flax seed oil for about a year now. When I started taking it, my hot flashes stopped! Not sure if it was a coincidence, because I didn't have any flashes for a few months, then I started having mild ones, even though I was still taking the oil. But they're pretty mild relative to what I've been reading. Heck it's good for you anyway! I'm also told that Black Cohosh is good for flashes, and my Dr. even recommended it saying that he didn't know of any side effects.

Good luck cooling down....

Trillium
trillium
Warm Pauzer

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause