menopause and itchy skin??

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

menopause and itchy skin??

Postby ruth walker » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:08 am

:? Hello ladies!! Came upon this site in my ever increasing search for answers. I know I am peri-menopausal as told by doc AND by the fact that periods are few and far between and light as a feather. No real problems to speak of except in the last 2 years I have developed itchy skin/rashes when I scratch/psorasis? ALL OVER and THAT is what is driving me crazy. Anyone out there with a similar problem or suggestion?

Thanks, Ruth
ruth walker

Postby Hopefully » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:48 pm

Welcome Ruth. What a blessing not to have many perimenopausal symptoms! I'm envious :).

Yes, I've also been dealing with the itching also. My skin isn't dry, but I've been dealing with that irritating itching every now and then. What I've found to help is bathing with antibacterial soap. I've switched my shampoo to a brand specifically made for dry itchy scalp, which has helped tremendously.
Hopefully
Combustible

Postby ruth walker » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:07 pm

Thanks Hopefully. My skin is somewhat dry but I think it is a result of all the scratching. It has become for sometime now quite a nightmare of its own.

I have tried LOTS of different lotions, dandruff shampoos, etc. and have learned a little how to keep it from driving me totally insane. Aveeno baths when I can for a moment of quiet, ice packs, clothes that don't bind in the body creases, gloves (soometimes mitts) to keep me from scratching my hands and/or other places, and on and on. I changed my diet for a while, did allergy testing, and I am still itching and scratching.

I have not had a doctor to prescribe estrogen because neither one I went to that might did not equate it to hormones. I personally beg to differ as I have a few days of time RELIEF and coincidentally they would be the days right before starting what I would call a regular menstral cycle (which I have not had sine early OCT) Cortisone in strong doses help for a short while and then it all cranks up again. Taking strong antihitamines helps for a while too and then it dries my head up and also the effectiveness wanes.

Just wondering what anyone with a similar problem has done and if it eventually stops at some point IF it is hormone related. I do also take thyroid med and have for about 10 years now. I have just started taking Armor Thyroid for 8 months now and it helped my energy level but not skin problems.

Still searching...Ruth
ruth walker

crawlin skins.....

Postby lynie pause » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:52 pm

Hey Ruth,

Welcome. I too have that itchy skin. I seem to use tons of lotion it seems after a bath or shower seems my skin is just like a sponge and cannot get enough lotion. I usually put on two coats, before it it only took one. I think I may go out and go back to the lotion I used back when I was pregnant I used one with coconut butter in it and seemed to help the skin then maybe it will help me now. Everything itches...feels sometimes like my skin is crawling...itchy hands, back, everywhere :cry: You take care now.

Lynie
lynie pause
Combustible

Postby Zero » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:38 am

Lynie, do you exfoliate when you bathe? I've had the WORST dry skin problem in the last few years and all the lotion in the world didn't help. It was embarrassing! Dry skin on my black couch....."dandruff" even with a clean head of hair (this is still a problem...I use Head & Shoulders too), just flakey skin everywhere! Then I got a pair of bath gloves and what a difference!! It even helps the lotion to soak into my skin easier.

Another solution (that I have trouble following) is to drink lots and lots of water. Forget about hydrating the skin from the outside with all those expensive products...... it's been proven that the only way to do that is from the inside out.....so lots of water, vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants!! :wink:
Zero

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:00 pm

Hmm, I don't have itching that bad but sometimes my stomach just itches. It's the weirdest thing, just my stomach. Then it goes away after a few days.
Barb

Great Advice

Postby lynie pause » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:34 pm

Dee,
Thanks for that advice I will give it a try using a sponge mitt getting all that old skin off sounds like it would let the lotion to obsorb more why didn't I think of that :oops: sounds good to me. I have noticed too not to use those cheaper brands then the expensive ones I like Lubiderm I was on that for yrs. and recently thought I would give my budget a break by getting the cheaper one and it didn't help so I will go back to my lotion I prefered. :D I also have thought of using the lotion soap Oil Of Olay they have had chamercials on, have you heard anything good about that one? I too hate to drink water I know I need to because my body is storing the liquids thinking I'm starving it to death with liquids not drinking enough water I need to get off caffiene too. I also need to get on a regamin of vitamins and stick with them. I use the regular multi vitamin when I think of it but really should stay on them. Thanks again for the advice will give it a whirl... :wink:

Your Sister In MenoPause, Lynie
lynie pause
Combustible

itching all over

Postby Laffer3 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:37 pm

Hello Ladies; :D
This is my first time posting to this website. I just wanted to comment on the itching all over. Is there anyone that is experiencing the itching of the vaginal area as well as the itching all over? and what do you use for that. that might be a more natural remedy. I am 51 years old and have experienced peri-menopause now for several years. I still am having periods, but my symptoms have seemed to gradually slow down. but now I am dealing with the itching. If anyone has any ideas let me know.
Thanks[/list][/quote]
Laffer3

Postby Zero » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:57 pm

"I will give it a try using a sponge mitt getting all that old skin off"

Lynie....the secret is using those bath GLOVES, not the sponge mitt. They're easy to find and come in pairs. Much different than anything spongy :)
Zero

Postby Zero » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:00 pm

Laffer (and I hope you get notified about this response).....if you'll go to the top of this page where it says Search and type in "vaginal itching", you will get a whole list of posts about that subject which I think will be helpful. There is a lot of info from Dr. Judy on that subject too and from women who have suffered with it and also found some solutions.
Zero

Postby laffer3 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:51 pm

Thank you for directing me to the search box. I will give it a try. And I like the glove idea while putting on lotion. Sometimes when the itching gets real bad like on my legs and arms... I will use Aloe Vera gel. That seems to stop the itching and help with the irritation. But sometimes when I start itching.... I am not in a place where I can whip out my bottle of aloe vera.... and also if it gets really bad and I am at home I take a hot shower. Seems to calm it down.
Hugs and smiles
Laffer
laffer3

Help for itching

Postby rmnstardust » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:19 pm

Hi Ruth !! I just wanted to reply to your post because I consider myself the Itch Queen. The only thing that helped me was natural Progesterone cream from the health food store. I am post now, and don't have as much probem with this, however I itched for about 2 years and thought I would go crazy with it. I am convinced it is hormonal. Hope you feel better !! Rio
I so admire some of these older women I see, women in their 60's, 70's and 80's, who are through menopause and have so much vibrancy, wisdom and are participating fully in life. It's my goal to get there and be that way too!
rmnstardust

Itching

Postby Seamoon_lady » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:36 pm

Hi all, I am 47, had a hysterectomy 2 years ago, but still have my overies. I have experiences hot flashed/night sweats for about a year now; usually when I am ovulating (which I feel). About three weeks ago I got a bad sunburn on my arms, shoulder and legs, which has since gone away; however over the past week or so I have began itching, especially my upper arms and shoulders. This itch, which is worse at night :( and is one like I have never had before; It feels internal, like a crawling feeling and is itchy, yet painful, it feels like my nerve endings are involved. My ovulation came at the same time and this is why I am wondering if this is a symtom of menopause. I also have other symtoms; aches/pains, memory issues etc.

Would love feedback
Seamoon_lady

Postby minniepauz » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:43 pm

Hi Seamoon lady....there are so many things going on at the same time that it's really hard to determine exactly what is caused by fluctuating hormones or what might be a symptom of something else or a reaction from something we ate or ...... like I said, it's hard to say, but you sound like you're into the peri-menopause phase and will have to try and find the best combination of treatments to get your body into a comfortable balance.

If we face this by being educated and knowing somewhat what to expect in the different phases, it doesn't always have to disrupt our lives too much. I always felt so bad for the girls who had horrible cramps when their periods came. I never had it that bad. Same thing with menopause, some women have a really terrible time. I hope you're doing ok. Have you talked to your doctor?
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby rmnstardust » Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:28 pm

Dear Seamoon Lady,
I suffered with the itchy crawly thing for over a year and am convinced that it is hormonal. According to what I've read and researched, the lack of progesterone causes the myeline sheaths on the peripheral nerves to not be maintained for some of us. This causes the nerve impulses to skip along the nerve causing itching and sometimes pain.
I started out with itching and it progressed to nerve plinging and zinging. You can't believe how awful it was. I thought I would loose my mind.
I read about the myelin sheath/progesterone connection and promply started on natural progesterone cream. It worked ! Whenever I would stop taking it the itching would start again, so I started taking it like clockwork.
Well, that syndrom has eased off and I'm onward to different bizarre menopausal symptoms now, but I will never forget how awful this was.
I hope this information helps !!
Rio
rmnstardust

Quick Reply

Next

Return to Menopause