Depression

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Depression

Postby Megan » Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:17 am

Good Morning Girls,
I have been going through peri for about 18 months now, maybe a bit longer. This is the 1st time I have experienced depression, I think it's depression anyway. I'm not crying or anything but my temper is running really short, and I have no desire to get out of bed in the morning. I don't even want to get in the shower! (I do though, didn't mean to scare you) I'm a student and I 'm having the hardest time going to school and 2 months ago I loved school! Is this what you would call depression or am I just getting lazy? I'm not wanting to talk with my friends or even my fiance'. Is anyone experiencing the same thing and how are you coping with it? Thanks so much, Megan
Megan
On Fire!

Postby Zero » Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:38 am

Megan...it does sound like depression and personally, I think it's very helpful that you are recognizing the symptoms and asking questions. It could be caused by anything from your fluctuating hormones to the miserable, extended bad weather, but it's important to realize how long you've been feeling this way.

It might be a good idea to talk with your doctor about this and decide if anti-depressants might help. There are several that are very effective without the risk of getting hooked on them. Or you might want to try St. John's Wort, an herb that works well for some and doesn't do much for others. I have taken both paths at times (not at the same time!) because I've had to deal with clinical depression most of my life. There IS such a thing as a chemical imbalance and when you add hormone imbalance, it's no wonder that we get depressed.

I also use positive thinking techniques when I feel myself slipping into moodiness, low energy and no enthusiasm for anything. Once I realize it's been a week or longer like that, I start taking the SJW and reading positive affirmations every morning just to keep myself "up" enough to get through it again.

Since I've spoken to you on the phone, I know this is not your normal state of mind, so I definitely encourage you to speak with your physician and decide how you want to tackle the situation.
Zero

SJW

Postby Megan » Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:56 am

Hey Dee!
Thanks so much for recommending SJW. I had forgotten about it but I had taken SJW one other time before. I can remember it had done me some good then also. I think I'll try that again and see how things go.
Thanks again, Meg
Megan
On Fire!

Postby KittyKat » Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:58 pm

Hope you dont mind my two cents......just want to remind you and anyone else to check with your Dr. before using herbal remedies.

Espec. when taking medications. Some herbal things can interfere or even be dangerous when taking other meds.

KittyKat :oops:
KittyKat

Postby Zero » Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:45 pm

Very true, KittyKat..... that's why I mentioned several times that she should talk to her physician and that anti-depressants and SJW should not be taken together.

Everyone's two cents is welcome here! :) Thanks for posting!
Zero

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause