i ache!

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

i ache!

Postby texas » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:39 pm

i ache all over. especially in my shoulders. my muscles ache and my joints ache and im sick of this. ive been feeling like this for about 2 months now. im stiff as a board and boo hoo hoo hooo!!!
has anyone else out there done this? i feel like im 80! :(
texas

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:18 am

:roll: i'm just in peri, so maybe i shouldn't speak to this, but i do have my own kind of numerous body aches from years of physical labor jobs. i'm wondering if part of your thing in the shoulders is holding the body in tense ways. anyway, i use Now brand "Joint Support" cream w/ glucosamine in it. i take those packets with glucosamine in them- alot. msm i read works well esp. taken w/ glu.

i walk (everyday some!) and do yoga (stretching!) and swim (moves the body in ways not possible out of water!) in a HOT pool for people with disabilities. at home, i take epsom salt baths (with bubble bath so i don't feel like an old lady), as hot as i can stand. i find when i don't exercise i go STRAIGHT to hell in a handbasket, as my gramma used to say. breathing deep helps the muscles, too.

basically, as soon as i wake up, i start in on damage control. i apply heat or cold pretty much immediately, depending on the area. i sleep on the floor, too. very un-cushioned but my back likes it. sesame oil on the body overnight to lubricate joints. i eat flax meal and drink a boatload of water every day. i'm on the verge of buying a raised up toilet seat. *scary* but will help my knees & back.

it may sound like alot, but it's pretty seamless and no one would ever know any of this unless they like lived with me. i don't make a case of it; it's just part of my life like going to the bathroom or buying groceries- a maintenance thing.

if anyone knows of good herbs- i should investigate that. turmeric is good for anti-swelling, which has to do with pain. anyway, just do what feels right and know it will get better. & welcome, Texas! some nice heat out your way soon to help you, too! :P --sfogrrl

Postby Zetti » Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:50 am

Oh dear I totally relate.

For me, it's miserable low back pain, a *weak link* that peri has taken total advantage of. I practice yoga as well which helps a whole lot but the low back pain has become much more severe since I got into the fun peri stage.

Perhaps the doc can give you something to make it more tolerable?

Zetti
Zetti
Combustible

Re: i ache!

Postby Zero » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:53 am

texas wrote:i ache all over. especially in my shoulders. my muscles ache and my joints ache and im sick of this. ive been feeling like this for about 2 months now. im stiff as a board and boo hoo hoo hooo!!!

You're not alone, that's for sure! I think all of us (of a certain age) are getting up a little slower and feeling these aches and pains that "seem" to have come on overnight! I know I started doing a little flexing and stretching when I wake up, before I even put my feet on the floor, because I felt 80 too!

For those of you who have maintained a healthy lifestyle (eating right, exercising regularly), you probably don't feel as old as those of us who haven't been doing it, but the aging process goes on, doesn't it?
Zero

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:54 am

:D forgot to mention (i'm drinking some now!)- it's called "Joint Comfort" - a tea you can get at like a natural health food store. manufacturer is "Yogi Tea"- they have several other great teas, too. try taking 4 teabags at once- steep 5 or so minutes. it really works.

also; creatine. i love powdered creatine.

:P
sfogrrl

Postby Zetti » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:07 pm

My thing is yoga, started it a few yrs ago and it has been the one excersise program I seem to be able to stick with, does wonders for those aches and pains and I suspect will help stave off some osteo troubles later.

What I esp like about it is that it can be as challenging as you want it to be, or it can be very gentle. As long as you find a good instructor, it's all good.

I have a friend who is a chiro and she says that yoga is the 2d best thing to a chiro adjustment.

Zetti
Zetti
Combustible

i ache! UPDATE

Postby texas » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:07 pm

yall! i found out that i was retaining fluid due to perimenopause.
ive cut back on salt and take a diuretic when thats not enough. i feel much better! im also taking your suggestions especially the stretching. i dont feel 20 but i no longer feel 80. hey! ill take that! :D
texas

Postby Shan » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:44 pm

Zetti wrote:Oh dear I totally relate.

For me, it's miserable low back pain, a *weak link* that peri has taken total advantage of. I practice yoga as well which helps a whole lot but the low back pain has become much more severe since I got into the fun peri stage.

Perhaps the doc can give you something to make it more tolerable?

Zetti

I've been feeling incredible lower back pain as well for the last 3 months. I thought for awhile it was the mattress I slept on but that doesn't seem to be the issue. It's just there, constant and annoying. :(
I find doing stretching excersizes helps, as well as improving my posture, not just how I sit but also how I stand. Good shoes help as well. I stand on cement floors at work and investing in a decent pair of shoes has probably been the "best" thing I could have done for myself.
Shan

Muscle aches.

Postby DayDreamer » Fri May 27, 2005 5:37 am

I too can totally relate to this. I am 52 and have had what I call "deep bone aches" and sore muscles and lower back. I also observed that when they were at their worst I had so much static electricity in me I got shocks off everything including other people :shock: However, over time I've found 2 things which help. Firstly a good quality magnetic bracelet; and secondly a natural compound called MSM (Methyl Sulphonylmethane) from my local health store. It is commonly known as organic sulphur and I take a 1000mg tablet once a day and seems to soothe away my pain :D

I also support my joints with a 1000mg tablet a day of Glucosomine Sulphate which helps put back in the joints this substance which declines being made naturally as we age. It certainly works for me anyway :D
KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!!!!:)

Born 1953/fibroids/Post menopause since 2002
DayDreamer
One HOT Woman!

Can definitely relate!!!

Postby Linnie » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:16 pm

I too feel like 80 but am 52, due to joint pain and stiffness. I find that eating a chemical-free, non processed diet helps. When I cheat, the pains are worse. A more alkaline diet as opposed to a highly acidic diet seems to work best. (I was told that sugar and red meat convert to this high acid in the blood.) Also, now I started taking Tai Chi which is a slow movement exercise and it keeps one limber although the pains have not subsided for me thus far. My stiffness and pain are in my fingers and toes mostly. Being on the computer a lot is another irritant to the joints. I notice that when we are away from home for a while I do not have nearly as much pain and I realized it might be that I am not on the computer or doing heavy food shopping and cleaning. Sometimes it is good to make some changes. I might have my groceries delivered rather than carrying them into my car and then up a flight of stairs into my house. Will try to go on the computer for shorter periods of time or stretch in-between, and hopefully can come up with easier ways to clean house - lift differently, etc. Now to take my own advice!! :lol:
Linnie
Hot Pauzer

Re: i ache!

Postby Iradan » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:12 pm

texas wrote:i ache all over. especially in my shoulders. my muscles ache and my joints ache and im sick of this. ive been feeling like this for about 2 months now. im stiff as a board and boo hoo hoo hooo!!!

I have achy muscles and joints for a while, that come and go, worse when the weather is cold and dump. But for the past few days I have a majot neck/shoulders pain/stiffness. It feels like there is a knife stuck in my vertebrae and it hurts to move my neck in any direction. I feel like I am 100 some times, LOL. This neck pain is really bad but I've been lifting heavy for the past few weeks, so it can be the cause but I am more incline it's pre-menopause, I am 48. Consider my mother got her last period at 56, I still have few years of this torture. :(
Iradan

Postby txgirl98 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:58 am

I am in surgical menopause and don't take HRT and I've noticed I am achy also especially in the mornings. I try to do some mild stretching when I am in the shower and the moist heat seems to help. Most of mine is in my neck and shoulders also and I too think it is from setting hunched over this computer at work all day. I feel like a troll on some busy days by the time I go home!

Once this Texas heat abates I can get outside and start walking more and I hope that will help. I can deal with the aches in comparison to what other women are going through. I don't have any hot flashes, night sweats, etc. Am on an anti-depressant for mood swings and anxiety but otherwise I feel so much better. The hormones made me sick all the time.
I've heard Omega fish oil will help with the aches so I am going to try some. A friend told me to get some Nordic Naturals Fish Oil because it has a Lemony taste and doesn't keep coming back on you.
txgirl98
Warm Pauzer

Postby txgirl98 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:10 pm

PS, I went on line to check out the Nordic Naturals and they are getting rave reviews on all different Health websites. Here is their website:

http://www.nordicnaturals.com/index.asp

You can also get them at Vitamin Shoppe but I didn't see them listed as being at GNC or Walmart. Hope this will do the trick. If it does I will be feeling 100% great off of HRT!
txgirl98
Warm Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:07 pm

Thanks for the tips, txgirl!!! Let us know how it goes!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby txgirl98 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:09 am

Hi ladies, I did purchase some of the Nordic Naturals Omega 3 fish oil gelcabs last week and as advertised they don't "repeat" on me all day the way plain fish oil capsules do. I found them at the Vitamin Shoppe here in Dallas.

With my gallbladder out though I think two caps were too many for me. Seemed to have indigestion and some mild diarrhea so I am cutting back to one a day.

I do seem to be a little less achy after 5 days use but I spent a lot of time on the back massager this weekend also. :) Vickey
txgirl98
Warm Pauzer

Quick Reply

Next

Return to Menopause