Stopped smoking!

Are you a smoker? Do you want to quit, but need support and encouragement from others who have quit or are trying to?

Moderators: psexypsychic, colopam

Postby hjhope » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:36 am

CONGRATULATIONS! MY dad quit after 30 yrs and would not be alive today if he hadn't
hjhope

Re: CONGRATS!

Postby Zero » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:45 am

PATRICIA wrote:Its a tough row to hoe but I know you can do it! I quit cold turkey three years ago and found a bottle of water was my best friend. Just wait until your nasal passages start to clear up and you start to smell the smoke on other people. You will start to think, "omigod! did I stink like that"! That alone (and the growing price)was enough incentive for me to stay off them.

I'm cheering for you!

Thanks Patricia (and everyone else too!)....you're right about smelling the smoke on other people! Oh my god....it's awful and I'm apologizing left and right to all the people who had to put up with how I smelled for all those years! :oops:
Zero

Being nicotine free

Postby moonkwean » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:57 am

I Have been a Happy non-smoker since October 2004, I do not remember what smoking was like, as a new non-smoker I have taken up reading again. The book that got me to be a happy non-smoker is Allen Carr's "Easyway to Stop Smoking" He is amazing. The book may not be easy to get in the US. I got mine at the library and have since bought one for $10.00 (canadian) to lend to my smoking friends. Allen Carr is the first non-professional to be recognized by the WHO ( World Health Organization) for his method with an 80% success rate. Give it a read you only have your cigarettes to lose!!! Cheers
moonkwean

Quit smoking

Postby #1grammy » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:10 am

Congratulations! I am going to be using some of your tips I need to quit SOOOO bad. Thanks for the encouragement. :D

Oh, I do hope I can really be a part of your success in quitting! Just let me know if you need more info, ok? Find a method that works for you and then be at the point where you really, truly WANT to quit. Let me know if I can help!! REALLY!!!
#1grammy

Congratulations on quitting

Postby Macaroni » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:33 am

I want to congratulate you on your achievement. Think of all the money you'll save and how easier it will be to breath (plus you won't smell like smoke). It's a very hard thing to do. I know, because it's been about 29 years since I stopped smoking. One thing I want to warn you about though. The craving stays with you for a long time but just take it one day at a time and you'll get through it.
Macaroni

Postby Zero » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:20 pm

I'm so happy that many of you are coming to the message board from the newsletter! It really helps reinforce my determination to stay a non-smoker when I hear your stories and encouragement!

Macaroni, 29 years and you still have the urge? Holy crap....now THAT'S an addiction!! I do see what you mean though....and I've heard lots of quitters say that. I will just keep telling myself that I'm doing just fine WITHOUT lighting a cigarette AND I smell wonderful!!! :lol:
Last edited by Zero on Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zero

Re: Being nicotine free

Postby Zero » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:22 pm

moonkwean wrote:I Have been a Happy non-smoker since October 2004, I do not remember what smoking was like, as a new non-smoker I have taken up reading again. The book that got me to be a happy non-smoker is Allen Carr's "Easyway to Stop Smoking" He is amazing. The book may not be easy to get in the US. I got mine at the library and have since bought one for $10.00 (canadian) to lend to my smoking friends. Allen Carr is the first non-professional to be recognized by the WHO ( World Health Organization) for his method with an 80% success rate. Give it a read you only have your cigarettes to lose!!! Cheers

You know what's really cool about this? My maiden name is CARR! :) Maybe he's a relative. Thanks for the recommendation!
Zero

Stopped smoking

Postby sfariss » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:10 pm

Dee,

It's been a long time since I have visited this page.

Anyway, Congratulations!! Keep up the good work.

Sandy In Sunny (again) CA
sfariss

Quit Smoking

Postby caroll@wgcnet.com » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:44 pm

Congratulations, I stopped smoking January 1, 1998. I had smoked for over 40 years, it is a wonderful life after quitting and it only gets better year after year. God bless and continued health for many many years. Carol Long
caroll@wgcnet.com

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:42 pm

Oh My Gosh!

What a great way to start my day reading all your posts about quitting smoking!! I have been smoking waaaaay too long and know that I need to stop. I did quit once for a year and then BAM right back into it when I went to a bar! :shock: Thanks everyone for the motivation! I have one pack left and then I am going to stop! My 9 year old is very dissapointed when I light up and you'd think I would learn my lesson when my 19 year old started this habit!

I have been on the patch, the gum, accupuncture, zyban and HYPNOSIS!!
Sheesh, I guess cold turkey is the answer and just taking it one step at a time.

Thanks everyone!

I'll be back!

Andrea

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:35 pm

:lol: Am so proud of you. What a :o that you are on your way. But be ware the people who have quite smoking are the most pushie people around other smokers about stopping. Am really happy for you and keep up the hard work. :!:
Peigie

Re: Stopped smoking

Postby Zero » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:20 pm

sfariss wrote:Dee,

It's been a long time since I have visited this page.

Anyway, Congratulations!! Keep up the good work.

Sandy In Sunny (again) CA

Thanks, Sandy!! So good to hear from you again!! Hope you're doing well and happy in Sunny CA!!!!
Zero

Postby KarenD » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:41 pm

Congratulations!! I quit 13 years ago, and my husband quit about 7 years ago, and we've never regretted it. Missed it, occasionally, but not enough to ever want to start up again.

I went to a psychologist who used hypnotism, but my husband quit cold turkey. Of course, he's always had LOTS more will-power than I will ever have, :lol:

I have been reading and enjoying your newsletters for quite awhile now, but never got around to posting anything. But I couldn't let this go by without congratulating you.

Karen
KarenD

Postby Zero » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:55 pm

Thanks a bunch, Karen! I'm glad you decided to post. :)

I was going to try hypnotism next, but as I wrote before, I got scared and just quit. The reason the guys can quit so much easier is because women's bodies get more addicted to the nicotine.....as usual, we have a bigger fight. So it's not that they have more willpower, ok? :)

Hope you hang around and post once in awhile!! :D
Zero

Smoking

Postby Gailjoan » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:10 pm

Congratulations! Keep up the good work! I lived with a smoker for over 30 years. He quit 17 months ago. He found out he had high blood pressure and realized the health problems were just beginning. He did go to a hypnotist but the desire to quit was there. It's much nicer to kiss someone who doesn't taste like a dirty ash tray! :wink: I'll be thinking about you!
Gailjoan

Quick Reply

PreviousNext

Return to Can you quit?