Stopped smoking!

Are you a smoker? Do you want to quit, but need support and encouragement from others who have quit or are trying to?

Moderators: psexypsychic, colopam

Postby Zero » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:23 pm

Hey, do I get a kiss too? hahahaah.....so glad your hubby quit! And now I can quit looking for a guy who smokes!!!!
Zero

Congratulations Dee

Postby lirving3379 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:38 pm

:D :D :D :D I am very happy for you and proud of you too. I smoked for over 35 years and have been smoke free for a little over 5 years now. Everything tastes and smells so much better. Keep up the good work.

Linda in Wisconsin
lirving3379

Re: Quit Smoking

Postby Zero » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:36 am

caroll@wgcnet.com wrote:Congratulations, I stopped smoking January 1, 1998. I had smoked for over 40 years, it is a wonderful life after quitting and it only gets better year after year. God bless and continued health for many many years. Carol Long

Thank you so much, Carol......that is so encouraging!
Zero

Postby Zero » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:39 am

Anonymous wrote::lol: Am so proud of you. What a :o that you are on your way. But be ware the people who have quite smoking are the most pushie people around other smokers about stopping. Am really happy for you and keep up the hard work. :!:
Peigie

Thank you my Friend! It's about time you posted here! :) Yes, I've already gotten on my soapbox to get the entire world to stop (well, really just my sister). The stories of "quitters" are incredible!!
Zero

Postby Zero » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:59 am

Drea wrote:Oh My Gosh!

What a great way to start my day reading all your posts about quitting smoking!! I have been smoking waaaaay too long and know that I need to stop. I did quit once for a year and then BAM right back into it when I went to a bar! :shock: Thanks everyone for the motivation! I have one pack left and then I am going to stop! My 9 year old is very dissapointed when I light up and you'd think I would learn my lesson when my 19 year old started this habit!

I have been on the patch, the gum, accupuncture, zyban and HYPNOSIS!!
Sheesh, I guess cold turkey is the answer and just taking it one step at a time.
Thanks everyone!
I'll be back!
Andrea

Andrea, you can do it, Girlfriend!! I really think the Commit Lozenges helped more than the patches, so try buying those instead of new cigarettes this time. But the main thing that made me quit when I did (still with a cartoon of cigarettes right here!) was the reality of IF I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH A SEVERE CONDITION TODAY! I could visualize the situation of my kids having to take care of me, of not being able to take a full breath and the pain of an illness like cancer or emphysema! Like Dr. Phil says, "Get real with yourself!" Stop telling yourself things like "I enjoy smoking" or "it calms me down" ....hell, carbon monoxide calms everybody down!! :twisted:

Find every realistic picture you can find (like the ones I gave links to) that show you what your lungs look like or show a 50 something woman on life support or losing her hair from cancer. And finally....realize that withdrawals from smoking is not that painful, not as painful as actually smoking! It's just kind of hard, not impossible and not painful! And quitting is not hurtful to others like smoking is, so you can help your kids feel better and make them proud of you at the same time! :)

The rewards are great, Andrea!! As you can see there are so many women out here to help us. I hope you will take advantage of the moment! I quit when I had an opened pack right in front of me....for two days I would pick one up and just hold it in my mouth (with the lozenge in my cheek) and a few times I lit it, but didn't inhale......each time I put it out immediately and realized I'm stronger than the stupid cigarette! :)

Let us know how you're doing, ok?
Zero

Postby CathyW » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:10 am

Why can't I do this? I sitting here reading your posts smoking a cigarette. How bad is that? I hate it. My kids hate it. I can't afford it. But I keep doing it. I quit for three years once and then got divorced. The day my ex-husband walked out I picked up a cigarette and have been smoking ever since. That was over ten years ago!!! I have tried and tried. Cant't go more than 3 hours. How pathetic is that. I am so proud of all of you that have did this but I will die a smoker I'm sure. :(
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Postby colopam » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:37 am

CathyW

Don't beat up on yourself!!! Try taking it one day at a time and don't let that ex have that much control of your health and your life!!! You've got some great support here!

Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

stopped smoking

Postby FRANCINE927 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:44 pm

That is great! I'm glad I never started as I don't think I would have the willpower to quit. I can't even diet to lose extra weight.

Good luck and keep it up :D
FRANCINE927

Postby Zero » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:32 pm

CathyW wrote:Why can't I do this? I sitting here reading your posts smoking a cigarette. How bad is that? I hate it. My kids hate it. I can't afford it. But I keep doing it. I quit for three years once and then got divorced. The day my ex-husband walked out I picked up a cigarette and have been smoking ever since. That was over ten years ago!!! I have tried and tried. Cant't go more than 3 hours. How pathetic is that. I am so proud of all of you that have did this but I will die a smoker I'm sure. :(

Cathy, it took me 43 years to be able to quit, so you're not the only one who can't find that "something" that makes a person just quit. Ok, I'll try this on you...you mentioned that your divorce is what caused you to start smoking again, right? Now, what is the worst thing that could happen to make you never pick up a cigarette again? Truly, what do you think it would take? Would you be like that woman who had her voice box cut out from cancer and she was still smoking through the hole in her throat? Or would it be just a diagnosis of a major illness that would make you quit? With me it ended up to be the fear of GETTING that diagnosis and I couldn't rationalize my smoking any more. There was nothing logical about what I was doing and I was at the point where I didn't want to smoke any more. All I'm saying is that it takes something different for all of us and as long as you keep talking to yourself about wanting to quit, you will get to that point and you'll do it. :) Just keep telling yourself "I can do it, the time is almost here, one of these days I'll be a non-smoker", and it will come sooner than you know it. Just keep being honest with yourself......
Zero

great great!!!

Postby joysarah » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:57 pm

I am so happy for you Dee that you quit. I am an ex-smoker, I smoked for 32 yrs and I quit 41/2 yrs ago. I will tell you i don't miss it one bit. I lost my Mom to COPD and my husband has been diganosed with it too. It is a horrible disease to go thru. I read you post when you quit on how bad of a time you were having. You did yourself a BIG FAVOR when you quit. My prayers are with you and you will make it. About what you said about the smell of smoke being so bad is true and the smell of it will get worse.
I wanted to say that I enjoy your site very much. I enjoy shopping at the store as well.
Good luck Joy
joysarah

Postby Zero » Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:44 am

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement, Joy. I'm sorry to hear about your Mom and I hope your Husband is doing better.

For those who don't know what it is:

What is Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)?

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a lung disease in which the lung is damaged, making it hard to breathe. In COPD, the airways-the tubes that carry air in and out of your lungs-are partly obstructed, making it difficult to get air in and out.

Cigarette smoking is the most common cause of COPD. Most people with COPD are smokers or former smokers. Breathing in other kinds of lung irritants, like pollution, dust, or chemicals over a long period of time may also cause or contribute to COPD.

The airways branch out like an upside-down tree, and at the end of each branch are many small, balloon-like air sacs. In healthy people, each airway is clear and open, the air sacs are small and dainty, and both are elastic and springy. When you breathe in, each air sac fills up with air, like a small balloon, and when you breathe out, the balloon deflates and the air goes out. (See the section, "How Do the Lungs Work," for details.) In COPD, the airways and air sacs lose their shape and become floppy. Less air gets in and less air goes out because:
The airways and air sacs lose their elasticity (like an old rubber band)
The walls between many of the air sacs are destroyed
The walls of the airways become thick and inflamed (swollen)
Cells in the airways make more mucus (sputum) than usual, which tends to clog the airways.
COPD develops slowly, and it may be many years before you notice symptoms like feeling short of breath. Most of the time, COPD is diagnosed in middle-aged or older people.

COPD is a major cause of death and illness throughout the world. It is the 4th leading cause of death in the U.S. and the world.

There is no cure for COPD. The damage to your airways and lungs cannot be reversed, but there are things you can do to feel better and slow the damage to your lungs.

COPD is not contagious-you cannot catch it from someone else.

I don't know if I have it or not since I have not seen a doctor in over 6 years. :(
Zero

you can do it

Postby npjoann » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:49 pm

I quit after 27 years. I love your column. I am a nurse practitioner who always recommends you to my patients. In California we have 1 800 no butts , a toll fee number to help people quit.You can have a cigarette- You just won't want too .Take care I love your stuff. JoAnn Woodward (no Paul's wife)
npjoann

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:46 pm

Hi Dee,

Thanks for all the good advice. I joined quitnet.com and picked a quit date. May 6th...my youngest sons 10th birthday. Will also try the lozenges, I think that is the ONLY thing I haven't tried yet.

In addition to smoking since I was 12 years old, I also had parents that smoked so I was always exposed to second hand smoke. Then I worked as a bartender for years, very smoky in there. I get scared when I think about it but basically I have been smoking since the day I was born!

I'll keep checking in with you...hope you are well and that you are staying strong against the enemy!

Drea

Congrats-going on 2 years myself!

Postby Marcia » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:53 pm

Way to go Minnie! Congratulations on quiting. I know how hard it is. I quit on 4/24/03 - 3 days before my birthday! I am going on 2 years this month. Oh I will say that every once in awhile I think "Hmmmm a cigarette sure would be good right now". I do not cheat though. I prayed alot to help with my cravings.

Good luck and congrats - you won't be sorry. Now you can take that extra money and put gas in the car...like I do. :D
Marcia

I'm a Quitter too!!!

Postby SUZYQ » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:40 pm

Minnie:

That is soooo wonderful you have Quit!!! :D The only thing I can say is I wish I had known it was this wonderful and had quit alot sooner. I am 44 and stopped Last July 2004. It has been hard the first 2 months, but after that, It just vanishes away like I never did it. Congratulations, and hang in there, DON"T give in no matter what!! It took me getting sick and then I got scared to stop. I started when I was 17 but quit for 4 years while I was pregnant, then started back up in 1985. After about 30 times trying in the past 5 years, THANK GOD with alot of prayer and friends, I did it!!!!

Like others have said, If I can do it anyone can.... I have noWILL Power at all!!!!

Susan :D
SUZYQ
Hot Pauzer

Quick Reply

PreviousNext

Return to Can you quit?