something else to chew over

There are many health concerns at this time in life and one of them involves our dental health, so I wanted to make a section just for these discussions.

Postby berykute » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:38 pm

Dee, dentures are uncomfortable. Losing your teeth is like losing any other body part and can be very traumatic.
A good set of prosthesis (dentures) can be undetectable and even look better than what was there before.
Eat small bites and chew well, don't let sore spots go, get periodic relines and everything will fall into place. Eventually you will get used to them and even forget that they are there sometimes.
No more toothaches,no root canals for you!!!
What the heck now?
berykute
One HOT Woman!

Postby colopam » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:59 pm

My mom loved hers, she finally had the white smile and no chips from where she'd been hit (she got him back tho, took his new hunting rifle and bashed it!!Only time something like that happened!!).

Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:54 am

Wow, I was reading back on this post and saw that it was Mar 25 that I had all my teeth pulled! 5 more days and it will be 10 months so I guess I'd better catch you all up on my dental work! :lol: As you can see in the smilies, I do have teeth now, they're just PORTABLE! I just finished a cartoon for my two dentists with that caption.

I ended up getting 4 implants in the bottom because the surgeon agreed to do them for half price because I had no insurance and he could do it as part of his training program....he did it and the student observed (in his fancy office too, not at the dental college!) My cost: $2600

Anyway, after the surgery, I had to wait 5 1/2 mo. until he ok'd me to get my permanent dentures and I'm in the countdown for that now. It takes 5 visits to get them completed and I have 4 more. Unfortunately, I got no discount on the dentures...except $500 for paying it upfront (with my dental credit card), my cost $4365.

I'm going to have great dentures, but won't be able to afford FOOD to eat with them!!! I've been wearing these slightly bulky temporaries since March so I'm very ready to get these "cadillac" versions. Here's a picture of me with my temps. Yes, it's be great to be able to smile again. :) All my pictures for the previous 3 years were with a closed mouth.

Here's the cartoon I did for my dentists:
"Thanks to Dr. Vega-Christ, I still have my own teeth...they're just PORTABLE now!" (that's for the dentist who pulled my teeth and is making the dentures)

"Thanks to Dr. John, I still have my own teeth. Only now they SNAP ON!" (that's for the surgeon who did the 4 implants for half price)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby colopam » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:05 pm

Great smile Dee!!! Looking forward to be seeing more of it!!! (and the new deluxe super improved version too!)

Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby niftyfifty1 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:33 pm

Thanks for the update on your dentures Dee. It is wonderful how you keep a sense of humor in all things. "Portable" :lol: Looks great!
niftyfifty1

Postby minniepauz » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:35 pm

Thanks nifty and pam....I'm just glad I have an "audience" for my humor! :) Today I spent 2 1/2 hrs in the dentist chair....they had to fit the abutments that go into the implants and that's what the dentures will "snap" on to. I won't have the actual dentures for 3 more weeks so guess who's going to lose some weight? (wishing we had a toothless smilie...oh, maybe it's this one :? )

I still feel like my last relationship (over 10 years ago) was probably my last one unless I can find some old fart who's had his dentures longer than I have! :) But you know, staying single just doesn't sound that bad at this stage.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby minniepauz » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:13 am

Hey Girlfriends!! Where's everyone now regarding the dental situation? I'm actually in a battle with my dentist at this point. My $2000 "cadillac" dentures broke after 4 months (the bottom one that's attached to the implants) and she's been giving me a hard time about replacing them (there's a warranty) and now the new ones she finally had made after 2 months don't fit right. Plus she's charging me MORE $$$$! I've filed a complaint with the Attorney General (MI) and with the MI Dental Assoc., plus I've called a local tv reporter about doing an investigative report on the dental/denture industry.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby niftyfifty3 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:49 pm

Sounds like your 'Cadillac dentures' are falling into the 'lemon law' category. And the dentist isn't holding up their end of keeping up with any problems especially this early in the game.

Keep us updated Dee.
niftyfifty3
On Fire!

Postby niftyfifty3 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:53 pm

Hey there Dee.

Did you get a proper resolve for your dentures?
niftyfifty3
On Fire!

Postby minniepauz » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:34 am

Not yet....it's still a nightmare. I can't wear the new pair OR the old pair now so I'm going without bottom teeth for now. :(
minniepauz
Site Admin

Re: something else to chew over

Postby sssallylane » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:13 pm

Thanks for all the tips! Teeth troubles are a real pain (literally and figuratively), so I'm making sure that I religiously practice oral care and go to the dentist twice a year.
sssallylane

Re: something else to chew over

Postby berykute » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:25 pm

The average fee for dentures in my area is 5,000-7,000$ so you really did not pay a lot! You may need a bite recalculation. Either way, they need to make you comfortable! Some times the implants themselves are not placed correctly, the would cause uneven stresses.
What the heck now?
berykute
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Previous

Return to MidLife Dental