Day One

Are you a smoker? Do you want to quit, but need support and encouragement from others who have quit or are trying to?

Moderators: psexypsychic, colopam

Day One

Postby danmia » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:36 pm

Hello, today is day one of being a non smoker!!!!!!! I have tried before and failed but this time definitely going to do it. I know i have the beginnings of COPD coming to me, no longer gonna blame menopause for that. I can't even get up the stairs without huffing and puffing, so time to stop for good . Also my husband recently quit and he has lapsed a bit so he's doing it with me, and more importantly I have a lovely incentive. My husband says if by July 6th I havent had a cigarette I can have a puppy!!!!!!!! But if I go back after that the doggie goes too.......so anyway, so far feeling okay got plenty of Skittles, tic tacs, mentos we're all set. Bottle of water and away we go. I figure every time I want a cigarette i will get up and clean something!!!!!!!

wish me luck
danmia
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:03 pm

Oh wow!! I'm soooo excited for you! Please use all the tools I've posted on this page http://www.minniepauz.com/quit-smoking.html There's lots of encouraging info there.

Brilliant idea about the puppy...it would be so hard to give it up after having it for even a short while. Sounds like you've made up your mind to finally do it!

I want to say that even though each of us comes to this decision in a different way.....you really need to pat yourself on the back for seeing the reality of the situation. You could see what was coming and you decided you can beat it. I found that telling myself that the urge for each cigarette would pass in a few moments and that I could always find something else to fill the time.....something healthy or something fun (or something tasty :))

I'm wishing you all the luck.....email me if you need more encouragement. I'll even call you if you want! :)

I quit 2 years and 2 months ago! Not one cigarette and I'm so proud of myself and happy I quit!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby danmia » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:53 pm

Thank you so much, I know it's going to be rough but I must do it, my lungs are not a happy pair at all. So far so good, I am incredibly tired though, menopause tired and non smoking tired hehehe. I think the cleaning idea is pretty good, every craving, clean something, I could have a pretty pristine house by the end of this hahaha.
Again thanks for you encouragement and I will keep you up to date on my progress. I joined Quitnet and so far 13 hours 51 minutes 25 seconds without a cigarette and i have NOT smoked 14 cigarettes added 2 hours to my lifespan hahaha and saved 2 dollars.
Well back to work, that's a bit hard I've found but oh well it will get better..........i have a month to decide on what puppy I should get.......so excited
danmia
One HOT Woman!

Postby colopam » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:01 pm

Danmia!!!
Yeah for you!!!! You and your DH will be in my prayers!!! You can do it!!! and great incentive!!! Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby danmia » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:04 pm

Thank you thank you, I know i'm going to hit a wall somewhere but I can do it, just think of those little puppy eyes and my grandchildren who are comign to see me in September, and I've never met them, who needs a nanny who can't play!!!!!!!
danmia
One HOT Woman!

Postby colopam » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:11 pm

Your house will be sooo clean that when that puppy comes into your life you'll have to resort to taking walks or throwing a ball IF cravings are still an issue (probably will have quieted down by then...fingers crossed!)
Hugs Pam
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby danmia » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:14 pm

I'm hoping to have so much energy and such a clean house I would never ever want to go back. At least the new couch that comes next week I now dont have to worry about burning a hole in it !!!!!!!!!
danmia
One HOT Woman!

Postby colopam » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:22 pm

Danmia
I CRAVE a new couch!!! LOl! We got our puppies from the puppy prison in TN. Having a leather couch/loveseat probably wasn't a great idea at the time as one of the dogs (10 mo old) had never been in a house and the other 2 were barely weaned so they proceded to teeth on my furniture. One of my favorite pics is of the house on Christmas eve, we'd left the puppy pads and newspapers down. The tree was lit and we needed to go to my DMIL's house for a couple of hours...should be ok right??? We came into the house with EVERY inch of the livingroom floor covered with shredded paper!!! we literally laughed so hard our sides hurt. Couldn't blame them! They were just doing their "job" like any toddler. Then our BIL helped me put furniture in storage while DH was training down here in FL. He piled the leather loveseat ontop of the couch so it molded (leather needs to breathe!!!) well that was a challenge to clean up and we're still shopping for a set. BUT we still have the 3 puppies (they're always puppies) and wouldn't have them any other way including the furniture incident (I'll post the Christmas eve pic when I dig it back out) They're sooo funny!!
(I guess the moral of the story is that they didn't know that the chew toy was supposed to be chewed and the couch WASN'T tho they were both leather!!! LOL who'da thunk??)
Hugs Pam
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:26 pm

When I realized I was saving $150 mo. by not smoking I got a new (used) car with payments of $135. Couldn't have afforded it before. :) I also bought myself a gift each month :) First one was a toaster oven. Even to this day if I think I can't afford something I think about what I used to spend on cigarettes.

My grandkids told me (without anyone prompting them) that they're happy I quit smoking. There's no telling how uncomfortable (and stinky) it was to be around me. :oops:

Really, 13, 14, 15 hrs without one....that's fabulous!! It only takes 72 hours and the remains of the last one are out of your body. :welldone:

I found out that the physical cravings for nicotine come right after you've had one, so the longer you go without, the easier it becomes not to have one. Then it's just the mental part you have to deal with....your brain tells you you want one and you have to combat those thoughts with common sense. You're doing great!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby danmia » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:26 pm

I'm not worried too much about the two dogs we have, nor the puppy really, but we have a cat that weighs 25lbs and loves the couch right now, I dread him getting up onto the new one. So I'm going to cover it whenever I'm not in the room and hope he just gets put off by cushions and afghans everywhere. When he hoists himself up from anywhere it's a real effort and his claws are his means of getting a grip on anything including legs ow!!!!!!!!![/img]
danmia
One HOT Woman!

Postby danmia » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:34 pm

I know exactly what you mean with everything you say Dee, I think if I can get through the first two weeks then it should start easing off. Funny thing is i'm coughing more today than any other time, my lungs are confused hehehe Last time I quit for three months but I was using the patch and honestly they did not help one bit becuase the minute I was down to none I was suffering all the cravings as if I had just stopped. So this time it's cold turkey, get it all out of me right from the start.
Okay I joined Quitnet too, they have a great site and there are some good people on there, but there are some not so good, I was there before when I quit and I lapsed and they were really mean I know they meant well but they can be harsh to people so if you're sensitive which I'm sure menopausal quitters definitely are its not such a great idea to use the boards. I will be sticking to this one where my friends are!!!!!!!!!!!
danmia
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Can you quit?