DO YOU HAVE THESE SYMPTOMS?

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Postby Audrey Nair » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:33 am

Hi there, Rebel with the Pause! Can't tell you how relieved I am to have stumbled on this site. Thought I was going crazy, although my gynaecologist confirmed last year that I was peri-menopausal. But it didn't occur to me that I should dig deeper - I was too busy with my life and family. Recently, my head's been buzzing like as if I'm on some high! My focus zooms down to zero and concentration levels even lower, if that were possible. I can ditto a lot of the listed symptoms. Tears come real easy and I miss the old me. Any tips on how to help my memory get better? Tell me, once us privileged PAUZ-ers reach post menopause, does memory, concentration, etc. get better? Was down for a year with stomach ulcers and then malabsorption (of food). Have just finished with the treatment about a month ago and am limited with food variety and have to be cautious with medicines I take. But I've lightened up after getting onto this site. Audrey
Audrey Nair

Postby minniepauz » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:52 am

It does sound like you're having a rough time of it, Audrey, but hopefully, with awareness of your options and what works for you, you will be able to get through it without being totally miserable.

Knowing what to expect (or the possibilities) usually makes things easier..just like the tears....if you know it's because of hormones and you know millions of women are going through the same thing, it's easier to accept it when it happens to you. This is why I chose humor to deal with it .... there's no way to stop it so why not make a little fun of it?

As for keeping your memory from totally lapsing....just like for your muscles, your brain needs exercise too. Do crossword puzzles or any kind of thinking puzzles that keep you sharp and on your toes. Staying up with current events, challenge yourself to study all the candidates and remember their names and what their platform is. :) Oh THAT sounds exciting, doesn't it? LOL What I'm saying is, there's no simple answer or magic pill that is going to make this all go away. It takes longer and more work for some of us and it's not easy, but we're not going to die from menopause, so I try to encourage women to look on the lighter side and you WILL get through it. :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Re: Symptoms

Postby Anxietyannie » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:14 pm

stbuch wrote:I'm 48 yo, haven't had a period in a year (only had about 3 a year for two years before that). I have all kinds of wierd symptoms-palpitations, extreme hot flashes, wieght gain-but until I read this site I did not know that the "whooshing" sound I was hearing could be related to this. I thought I was having an aneurism!
I can't believe it took me this long to realize that menopause is my problem! I'm a busy teacher and I guess I just haven't been paying attention!

Ain't it fun, though? I get the palpitations too, many times a day, hot flashes @ night and cold flashes mostly during the day. I did have a whooshing sound in my left ear, and it WAS related to an aneurysm! The aneurysm was very small and was found by CT scan angiography - tho an MRI can probably detect them the CT is the gold standard. My doctor never mentioned that menopause could be causing a whooshing sound so I'm glad I had the CT scan!

I've been through hell and am still walking on that road. Don't know if I"m anxious from post-surgery or menopause or both. But I'm doing very well according to my doc who only sees the physical aspect.

The palpitations bother me more than anything and keep me awake more than hot flashes. I wonder if I'm having a heart attack, it beats so fast sometimes, or does the stop & go thing!

I wish someone would tell me something that would help with that so I could maybe get some sleep. :P I don't want to take HRT so I'm going through this cold turkey :shock: What did women do before HRT was on the market? Our grandmothers survived, somehow.
Anxietyannie

Postby minniepauz » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:37 pm

Anyone who is dead set against taking hormones should look into chinese herbs and other holistic type treatments. Go to http://www.drweil.com and type in menopause in his search engine. He gives very good suggestions.

I'm trying to do the same thing (go without drugs) for the psoriasis that is plaguing me and it's not easy. Things that work for other people are not working for me and the treatment that works for most people costs about $1600 mo and has severe possible side affects....so even though it's very tempting I am not willing to risk getting lymphoma or TB!

Hang in there and you will eventually find the right combination!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Palpatin' and flashin'

Postby Anxietyannie » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:20 am

Thanks, minniepauz! I'll check out that website. I do think the Chinese know more than our western medicine in many areas. Well, the Chinese have been at it for what - 5000 years?

They've got a bit of an edge :lol:

Anxietyannie
Dianne
Anxietyannie

website

Postby Anxietyannie » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:47 am

Hi Minniepauz,

I checked the site for Dr. Weil. Looks like an interesting site and I can get free health emails. But they don't deliver their products outside of the U.S. Bummer!

A. Annie
Anxietyannie

Postby minniepauz » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:42 am

Dr. Weil usually recommends stuff that you can find in any health store, Annie.... I know he sells his own brand, but if you do a search on his site for specific problems, you will get specific suggestions. Just keep looking kiddo and hopefully you'll find your answers. Most of these solutions (the natural herbs, etc.) started in Europe anyway so you just have to find someone who knows what works for what. Some of our other members from the UK may be able to share what they've found over there as far as resources.

Just so you know....I never took hormones either and suffered through the major hot flashes and many of the other symptoms without even knowing what I was going through. At least now women know kind of what to expect and what some of the options are. But I made it through and I know you can too! :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Hello

Postby Carleta » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:51 pm

I must be lucky because I everyone I work with is around my age! I thought I was going to have a complete melt-down while sorting the mail yesterday and after I asked if anyone else was hot they got the big fan out and pointed it at me. Just having some moving air seems to help, more than anything sometimes.

One of the men I work with has never been married...I think he's getting a real education!

I don't like to go to the doctor at all, and won't go unless I am nearly expired (it seems). Is there a real need to go just because you are entering menopause? I have the same problem as many others here, my Doc looks like he's about 20. Does that mean all the Doctors retire by 50 :shock: ??? (I have to find a gyn, tired of my husband nagging me!)

I was happy to see that others had cases of dizziness. I have gone home from work because of that and went to the Doc who had no answers. Now I have some answers..Yeah!
Just call me Grumpy
Hot Flashes are my specialty
DOB: 1956
Period free since Fall 2006
Carleta

Postby colopam » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:09 am

Welcome Carleta

You'll find lots of answers here and in the rest of the site as well as some great company!!!
Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Re: Hello

Postby hotpatootie » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:59 am

Carleta wrote:I must be lucky because I everyone I work with is around my age! I thought I was going to have a complete melt-down while sorting the mail yesterday and after I asked if anyone else was hot they got the big fan out and pointed it at me. Just having some moving air seems to help, more than anything sometimes.

One of the men I work with has never been married...I think he's getting a real education!

I don't like to go to the doctor at all, and won't go unless I am nearly expired (it seems). Is there a real need to go just because you are entering menopause? I have the same problem as many others here, my Doc looks like he's about 20. Does that mean all the Doctors retire by 50 :shock: ??? (I have to find a gyn, tired of my husband nagging me!)

I was happy to see that others had cases of dizziness. I have gone home from work because of that and went to the Doc who had no answers. Now I have some answers..Yeah!
I have a great gyno who is a few years older than me, a man, but he understands women and he has been great fun to talk to and laugh with about all of this crap that happens to us. I have passed through to the other side now, but I went through the whole experience cold turkey, as it were. Well more like a hot chicken, I guess it is up to the individual woman, what you want to do. I kept saying and thinking our grandma's went through it with no pills, and of course as somebody pointed out to me, most of them died young. But ok our mothers then, and I look at my mom who is 78 and still on hormones and I thought, no way am I going to spend the rest of my life taking hormone supplements.

Just keep your sense of humor, it is your only salvation. :lol:
I used to sweat so much you would have thought I had a hose attached to the top of my head, the sweat would just roll off of me, and I would completely soak the sheets at night.

My gyno told me when I could endure no more to come see him and he'd put me on something, it became like a test of will for me to tough it out, and I am glad I did.
hotpatootie
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:08 am

aha...now you gave me another idea for a cartoon with the "hot chicken"! :) I remember using chickens in one I did a few years ago too:

minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby hotpatootie » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:30 pm

That's a good'un Dee.

Is it hot in here or is it just me. :roll:

Atleast when I go to hell the temperature change will be a welcome relief.
hotpatootie
One HOT Woman!

Can I recommend a book?

Postby Anxietyannie » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:27 am

I found a great book that some of you might want to read. It really explains the connection between eating, exercise, emotions, hormones, menopause - everything. There are worksheets too....

now, don't let the name of the book put you off, cause it isn't JUST about this.

The book is titled "The Complete Natural Medicine Guide to Breast Cancer - A Practical Manual for Understanding, Prevention and Care ~~ by Sat Dharam Kaur, naturopathic doctor. ISBN#69518008069

Her recommendations on diet & exercise are well worth reading and apply to peri-meno or postmeno women. I couldn't put the book down!

I learned a lot about hormones, esp. estrogen, progesterone, etc. Well worth a look.

Annie :wink:
Anxietyannie

Postby minniepauz » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:40 am

Thanks for that recommendation, Annie and I hope all of you will remember to check out the books I recommend on my book list at http://www.minniepauz.com/books.html

One that I used to always suggest was:
https://menopausediet.planetnet.com/cgi ... m&code=DEE
You're Not Crazy It's Your Hormones
The Hormone Diva's Workbook
by Larrian M. Gillespie, MD
This book will take you step by step through a complete hormonal workup. With a hefty dollop of knowledge, a pinch of guidance and a twist of determination, every woman can learn the secrets to balancing her hormones.

This woman REALLY understands women's hormones!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Book recommendation

Postby Anxietyannie » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:49 am

Thanks, minniepauz, for the Hormone Diva recommendation. I just ordered it. Should make interesting summer reading. 8)

Maybe it will explain why my heart beats in a flip flop way sometimes :shock: has anyone experienced this? I do have the rapid heart beat, too........feel like my body is in overdrive!

Still not taking anything except St. John's Wort and occ. Swiss Herb HRT. No magic pill found yet.........but I'm still looking.

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Anxietyannie

Quick Reply

PreviousNext

Return to Menopause