For those of you who want all natural...

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

For those of you who want all natural...

Postby Zero » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:23 pm

Susun Weed is the expert on natural herbs for menopause:
http://www.menopause-metamorphosis.com/
Zero

Do you agree??

Postby pamibe » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:07 pm

I like most of what she has to say, but am wondering if you agree with this:
Eat vegetables, fruits, and grains instead of meat. Eating meat and meat fat weakens your bones as well as your heart, promotes cancer, and may contribute to post-menopausal hot flashes.

I thought meat was a good thing? Provides protein that helps build muscle...
I guess my real deal is: I love meat! :wink:
pamibe

Postby Zero » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:30 pm

I'm with you Pamibe! I love my meat too! That's why I did so well on the Atkins diet! :)

As with most things today, you have to take what makes sense to you, what works for you, from all the various opinions and experts out there today. I never have believed in their being ONLY one way for anything!
Zero

Cool

Postby pamibe » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:14 am

Good... I wanted to know what you thought, and I'm totally there. Some things can trigger hot flashes, but meat has never been one for me, so I wondered...

I actually did the Atkins plan for a year and became 'stick girl' but then went off it when I sold the house and was able to move where my husband was working... Who can stay on a diet of any kind when cooking for other people? ack!

Now I just eat a lot of everything. :D
pamibe

Postby oldbag » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:53 pm

I've never heard of anyone having menopausal symptome related to meats and I do know a lot of long term vegetarians who have started eating meat again in their middle years. I think what she is talking about is excess intake of meat especially those with more fat or excess artifcial hormones, antibiotics etc that one finds in commercially available or processed meats. The fat is the main culprit in terms of being a repository for these substances not to mention calories etc. Small portions of lean meats are great. (2-4 ounce servings compared to the usual 8+ ounces served in the average restaurant) If you can go for home grown local and /or organic so much the better.. there's no question that most of us Americans overdo it in the meat and fat consumption department... As with most issues, nothing is that simple. The atkins diet works great in the short term for weight loss, but a balanced diet in the long run will serve to promote your overall health.(ie "eat your veggies" is still recommended for prevention of colon, bowel, breast and other cancers ) Don't you hate it that mom was right all along?? :D :roll: :D
oldbag

Postby berykute » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:08 pm

I have not had red meat in 15 years,or milk or egg yolk. I rarely eat refined carbs such as pasta (unless it is low carb) or bread.
I have only put on 3 lbs. since peri. I eat fish,white chicken, turkey and soy. Lots of vegis,salad and fruit.
My cholesterol is 170, my cardiac risk ratio is lower than normal. My blood pressure is 90/60.
I really don't miss meat at all. I do not feel deprived.
With all the chemicals in meat, hormones, antibiotics,I would rather not eat it anyway! I do try to buy organic whenever possible.
When I ate meat my cholesterol was high and I was constipated all the time. So I feel better without it and I am healther.
What the heck now?
berykute
One HOT Woman!

Postby colopam » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:12 pm

Berykute

I was vegetarian for quite awhile and went thru a bit of depression (according to Oriental medical theory, beef supports the liver wich directs and controls anger and depression so by eating, in moderation of course, beef you support the liver) when I went back to eating meat in moderation I felt better. I do get very concerned about all the hormones and antibiotics in our foods tho as I know that alot of the hormones have been linked to girls maturing at younger and younger ages and that the overuse of antibiotics and antibacterials has led to more resistant strains. Also being an estrogen dominant woman I worry about the extra estrogens leading to more fibroids etc. There's a book call the Body type diet, they type people based on the dominant endocrine gland for that person and develope a diet for that particular type. I've found it interesting tho no one is truly a pure type but more of a conglomeration of 2 or more. I guess we just have to go with what works for us, the WW points (online) worked very well for me but I fell off that wagon after my surgery and would like to get back on it.

HUgs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:36 pm

FYI... I just heard on a morning show today that "free range" doesn't mean "healthier"..... it only means the animals were let outside. Like me, you might have thought it meant that they were fed better feed, but not necessarily. I always lumped "free range" in with organic and it's not!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Re: Susun Weed website

Postby Joie » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:39 pm

Zero wrote:Susun Weed is the expert on natural herbs for menopause:
http://www.menopause-metamorphosis.com/

THANK YOU for the lead to her site. The little bit I scanned has told me (again) I'm not nuts - it's the "Pauz" - I've become nearly a recluse - taking flak from a few people who think I should get out more.

My thinking is, if they can't add peace or enlightenment to my life, I don't need the aggravation of acting like I care to hang on their every word.

Has anyone figured out a universal gesture for "Leave me alone?" (unless you're interesting) 8)
Everybody sez, "Wouldn't it be fun to have a baby?" Nobody ever sez, "Wouldn't it be fun to have a 13-year-old with PMS?"

< < <Buying stock in Kotex and Depends . . .
Joie

Postby colopam » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:34 pm

Joie

Welcome!!! Well I'm familiar with the niversal sign for leave me alone but it usually means leave me alone or I'll bite your head off!! Haven't figured out the "unless your interesting" part, Do love the idea of it tho!!

HUgs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby dotty » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:31 pm

joie i am exactly the same, i cannot understand why i would have anyone over for dinner when i cannot give a hoot of anything they have to say..... why would i do that ? LOL

my DP does not understand that part of me at the moment but i don't really care about that either "get over it"

Dotty x
dotty
On Fire!

Re: For those of you who want all natural...

Postby bobbi54 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:36 pm

I'm glad you mentioned Susan Weed. She is great and I also wanted to mention Dr. Christiane Northrup who wrote the book "The Wisdom of Menopause."

On the note of foods that can cause hot flashes - staying away from alcohol, caffeine and spicy foods definitely helps.

Bobbi
bobbi54
Warm Pauzer

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause