My Quit Story...

Are you a smoker? Do you want to quit, but need support and encouragement from others who have quit or are trying to?

Moderators: psexypsychic, colopam

My Quit Story...

Postby Zero » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:20 pm

I have smoked for 43 years (up until March 1, 2005), so this was not an easy thing for me, but I'm 29 days smoke free and feeling so good about it and so strong about never smoking again. I thought I'd tell my story and then if anyone wants to tell theirs or ask questions...feel free!

I've been talking to myself for months trying to find the motivation to quit, but it was this last time that I got sick that really scared me. I used to get bronchitis once a year, but this year I had it 3 or 4 times and I was coughing so hard that I pulled a muscle in my stomach which made it very painful to even move, much less cough. Also, I couldn't cough anything up because I couldn't take a deep enough breath. I think I was very close to pneumonia...this was going on for about a week and not getting any better and there I was, lighting a f****** cigarette!! All of a sudden, I thought, "what if this cough doesn't go away this time? what if I've had my last chance?" I was thinking that how I was feeling was NOTHING compared to what I would feel if I had emphysema or lung cancer. The reality of the situation really hit me and I said "that's it.....I'm not going to be stupid any more!" I literally scared myself! You know what, reading about a fellow cartoonists' mom's cancer http://www.momscancer.com/ brought it home to me also. She was a smoker.

I had bought the Commit lozenges back in January, but only tried it once, so this time I figured I'd do it since you immediately feel the nicotine getting into your system. Also, I think with it involving something in your mouth, it's more effective than the patches. I only used them for a few days because I found out it only takes 72 hours for all the nicotine to be out of your body and I thought it was silly to keep putting more in there after that. From that point on, I kept my focus on the reality of my smoking habit......I quit telling myself I wanted a cigarette.....quit telling myself that it tastes good (yuck!). I even lit one whenever I thought I wanted one.....didn't inhale and proved to myself again that it tastes like crap, smells like crap and there's no logical reason why I should ever smoke again! :) I still have a carton of cigarettes here!! I knew it wasn't going to do any good to get rid of them.

This is what I've been looking at to not smoke: http://www.tobaccoprogram.org/smokinglungs.htm
http://www.lungcancer.org/patients/lc_1 ... _main.htm# It's helping me... I've read that our lungs will repair themselves over time if we don't put any more tar, nicotine and carbon monoxide in them, so I'm shooting for pink lungs again!! :)

I use sugar free candies to suck on instead of the lozenges, don't feel the craving for nicotine anymore. The mental thing is more difficult and I do get irritable during times I would normally reach for a cigarette (talking on the phone, after eating, driving in the car.......crap, when DIDN'T I smoke!), but each time I think about it, I just tell myself this is not as hard as it would be if I had cancer, etc. Then as you get more days under your belt, you start feeling better, breathing better, smelling better.....oh my god, do I smell better! :) My grandkids (and kids) are all so proud of me, but mainly I'm proud of myself. I AM gaining some weight, but my next goal is to start going to a gym (or something like Curves) and start getting healthy. I'm going to be 57 next month and plan on being in the best shape of my life before I turn 60. I know, it's 3 years, but it took me 57 years to get into such terrible shape, so I thought I'd better give myself a little time to turn it around! :)

Oh, the most amazing discovery since I quit is how much time I wasted before, all for the sake of sucking smoke, tar, nicotine and carbon monoxide into my lungs. It's almost funny when I find myself in a situation where I would have been smoking and now I have that time to fill with something else......right now it's filled by eating something, hahahah, but I know I'll get that under control in the near future. I did it once before when I lost 55 lbs. and it wasn't the smoking that helped me lose the weight!

I've also rewarded myself with things like a new toaster oven (something I really don't need but always wanted) and a better car! I was going to buy a cheap used car to replace the one that was rusting away, but I got a more expensive used car because I know I can make the payments with the $140+ per month I'm saving from not buying cigarettes. :)

The one downside (for everyone else) is that now I'm a reformed smoker.......worse than someone who's found religion! I can't stand the smell of smoke on someone else, in buildings, even on the street! And I keep thinking how I smelled before.....sure, it's fine when you're only around other smokers, but it's in your hair, all your clothes, your purse, your books......and people can smell you coming!!! hahahaha.....that's what my non-smoking cousin told me last night, that she could smell me coming (before) and could smell if I'd been there.

We all knew this stuff all along. We knew the dangers and the disgusting parts of smoking. Now we just have to accept the reality of it. I was the most committed smoker you could have......43 years and I "loved" smoking. If I can do it, anybody can do it!
Zero

Quitnet.com

Postby Tenaya » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:23 pm

Congrats on your quit! Try out Quitnet.com. It has really helped me. Days quit:95
Tenaya

Postby Zero » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:30 pm

AN UNWANTED GIFT FROM GRANDMA

Pregnant moms who smoke cigarettes may be harming not only their children but their grandchildren. In a study, youngsters whose grandmothers smoked during pregnancy were more than twice as likely to get asthma as children whose grandmothers didn't.
Zero

Re: Quitnet.com

Postby rah1222@aol.com » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:19 am

Tenaya wrote:Congrats on your quit! Try out Quitnet.com. It has really helped me. Days quit:95

Congratulations!!!!I smoked for 50 years and didn't quit until I was in the hospital having a third of my lung removed. I had no desire for a cigarette after that and that was 7 years ago. :D
rah1222@aol.com

Can you quit? Your quit story .....

Postby chrisspence » Sat May 07, 2005 7:02 am

What menopausal symptoms came along with the cravings during your quit?
I am on my 5th day, after following a reduction program for 4 weeks (X smokers).
The program has been useful and is working wonders for my also quitting husband ... but I am struggling with all overbody goosebumps, flushes (flashes?) of cold coursing through my veins / nerve endings. A sense of shivering. A feeling of my body out of control. Total distraction and mostly from the physical reactions of my body that are not even involving a desire for a cigarrette ... then when the nagging urge for a cigarrette comes to mind there does not seem to be any self control left to handle it since I am being distracted by physical weirdness.
Did you experience any increased night sweats, all day sweats? vision changes?
I was expecting irritabillity ... and do have this also. I was expecting some type of craving and have this also. But I was not expecting major physical realignment within 24 hours .... what is happening here?
chrisspence

Postby Zero » Sat May 07, 2005 9:10 am

chrispence, this might just be a coincidence because the nicotine is out of your body after 72 hours. Maybe you're having a reaction to the program you're using? Of course we're all different, but I didn't notice anything that could be related to menopause symptoms when I quit. I found that the "urge for a cigarette" was totally mental and by using positive affirmations, I could overcome those urges with common sense. For example, when my mind would tell me I wanted a cigarette, I would keep saying "there is no good reason for me to smoke" or "that's silly to WANT to put smoke in my lungs". I would just repeat those thoughts instead of allowing the "want to" thoughts to overpower my common sense. Don't know if that will work for everyone, but it did for me even when I decided to quit using the lozenges.

How far into menopause (or peri-menopause) are you?
Zero

Quitting Smoking

Postby rsford5655@aol.com (Sue) » Mon May 16, 2005 6:52 am

Congrats to all who are quitting...!!
It was the hardest thing I have ever done and took me a lot of tries but I discovered it is all between the heart and the mind to do it...
** Love Yourself ** and hang in there... I smoked for 34 years and now I am going into my 6th year smokefree so my heart is with you all...I completely understand what you are going thru !! hugs, Sue
rsford5655@aol.com (Sue)

Postby Zero » Mon May 16, 2005 7:43 am

Thanks, Sue!! That's very encouraging! I'm at 2 1/2 months smoke free and still feeling strong about never smoking again, but I still think about having one sometimes. On the other hand, I can barely stand the smell of someone else's cigarette.....the actual smoke doesn't bother me, but the nicotine that clings to everything is putrid! I keep thinking of what my kids and grandkids had to smell everytime they were around me.....yuck!! Forcing them to hug Grandma when she smells like cigarettes is cruel!

I just saw where they have a shot that is supposed to make you stop craving cigs cold turkey..... it's not available yet, but it figures that the pharmaceutical companies would want to get involved. Something else that will only be available to those with insurance or lots of money. I wouldn't be surprised if the tobacco companies are invested in that too.
Zero

Postby Sharon2 » Mon May 16, 2005 9:00 am

We must have watched the same morning show. This shot is suppose to take away the satisfaction your body gets when you smoke a cigarette and take in the nicotine. I use to smoke many years ago, I never kept track but it must have been at least 20 years ago. When you get the craving just remind yourself that if you give in to it now then you will just have to experience all those bad days without a cigarette all over again. Everyday gets better. I hated the way I smelled too.
Sharon2
On Fire!

Postby parts2you » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:35 pm

When you get the craving just remind yourself that if you give in to it now then you will just have to experience all those bad days without a cigarette all over again.

this is definately what i am telling myself. ive been on chantrix,going on the third week....i have cut down drastically....a carton which lasted me not even quite seven days,just lasted me 13. but i have been very frustrated with myself of even having a few a day.so,i smoked my last one today about 3pm.it is now 10:30 pm,and ive had an urge for awhile.....dont know why,cuz im not even enjoying them like i used to.
i agree with dee,i think it is the mental part that is worse...since most times i dont want it...yet i do...if that makes any sense. its wierd how this chantix makes ya feel that way! im hoping i can get thru tuesday night,when they say its all finally out of your system. maybe this time i wont want to give that up! and oh yeah,my daughter came over,and smoked two in front of me (i dont care,because i have to get used to being around smokers,well i do want her to quit too oh damn u know what i mean!!lol...but it really didnt bother me. the urge is worse now a couple hours later...go figure. i think for me its alot when im bored,and/or alone.
parts2you
One HOT Woman!

and oh yeah

Postby parts2you » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:37 pm

i also wanted to say in reply to that other woman,sometimes when the urge is strong,and i am fighting it i do get kind of a hot flash. but,i have gotten this at times in stressful situations even when i was smoking regularly. guess my blood pressure goes up or something.....or is it a trigger for a hot flash?
parts2you
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:10 am

Way to go, parts2you!! You're doing it step by step!! Just trust the Chantix (My sister is on about 6 weeks now!) and don't let the nicotine win! When you have an urge treat yourself as a child and say, "you can't have it just because you think you want it....you have to come up with a logical reason why you should have one!" Of course, you won't be able to but you are being the adult and not letting an irrational urge make the decision for you. Hope that helps! :)

I'm at 2 years and 5 months!! I am so happy I quit! You will be too, I promise!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Quick Reply

Return to Can you quit?