I'm on Chantix...

Are you a smoker? Do you want to quit, but need support and encouragement from others who have quit or are trying to?

Moderators: psexypsychic, colopam

I'm on Chantix...

Postby Zon » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:47 am

I'm into my third week of being a non-smoker! (After smoking for 30 years)!So far- so good!
I only hope now that, a year or two down the road that I don't see an ad on T.V. saying, If you've ever taken the drug:Chantix...
Anyway, with the Good Lord's help; by the time I've completed the recommended dosages-(it takes 3 months to complete), I should be totally smoke free!!!
Zon
Combustible

Postby minniepauz » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:56 am

3 weeks!! That's so terrific!! My sister is on it too and it's been about 5 months with her. Just keep telling yourself you're doing the right thing, the smart thing by not smoking. Don't let your brain tell you what you want and don't want :) It's been 2 1/2 years for me (I smoked steadily for 43 years) and I've never regretted being a quitter!

Good for you, Zon!!!! *sniff sniff* Wow! You SMELL GREAT!!!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby niftyfifty3 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:45 pm

:cheer: to you zon. Keep going strong.
niftyfifty3
On Fire!

Postby chelsea6 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:14 pm

Zon: Congrats on not smoking for 3 weeks!! :wink: My husband is also now on the drug Chantix, and OMG, he is SO crabby & short-tempered while being on it. It's like he has PMS all the time.
A friend of mine was on it for 2 weeks, and her husband said it was kind of like living with Jeckyl & Hyde!!! :D :twisted: She snapped at him constantly and had to go off it, the bad temperment was causing so much tension in their marriage . :shock:

My husband has tried the Chantix 3 times over the summer, now he's trying it again. Yikes!! I'm going to stay out of his way as long as possible!! Do you notice any strange symptoms, or feeling different while being on it?? :?:
chelsea6
On Fire!

Postby Zon » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:03 am

Any changes? Are ya kiddin' :lol:? How can I tell if it's the Minnie-Meanies :twisted: or the Nicotine Nervies? :?
No really, all jokes aside; this is the easiest and best way, I've ever quit!
The only troublesome thing I had to deal with was, actually the habit of grabbing for my cigarette case every time I went out the door or into another room. (Yeah, I was a heavy smoker!) I've not had ANY withdrawals! NONE!
Does your husband drink a full glass of water with his meds. :?: Cause that's real important :!: Are you a smoker? Maybe he's needing some compliments on: how much better he smells, and how glad you are that he cares enough for himself and his family to want to be around longer! Don't forget to give him a little bit of encouragement along the way.
I live with 3 smokers in the house (as of right now), and even that doesn't bother me like I thought it would. Of course I do trust in God and ask for His help every day! Not only with the non-smoking goal I've set for myself, or the symptoms of this new stage of life that's called Menopause. But I've learned to ask for HIS help, even before I get out of bed in the morning!
He's NEVER disappointed me yet! And I know, He NEVER will!
The world will never care how much you know,
until; The world knows how much you care!
Zon
Combustible

Postby chelsea6 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:15 am

Zon wrote:Any changes? Are ya kiddin' :lol:? How can I tell if it's the Minnie-Meanies :twisted: or the Nicotine Nervies? :?
No really, all jokes aside; this is the easiest and best way, I've ever quit!!

Zon: How could I have forgotten about those Minnie Meanies!!:twisted: That would be hard to know which is which!! lol :lol: Glad the Chantix works for you. I'm wondering if a lot has to do with habit, too. And for him, maybe it's habit plus Nicotine Nervies together. Perhaps that's why they make those Chantix packets so darn hard to open?? Maybe it gives the smokers something to do with their fingers similar to getting into a pack of cigarettes.. lol I dunno, I've never smoked!! :lol:

No, he never drinks a full glass of water with the pill. I'll make sure he does that.. t.y.!! I'll also give him lots of encouragement, and perhaps stock up on gum and tootsie-pops or something to break the habit of grabbing for the cigarette. . Thank-you SO much for the advice, it's much appreciated!! And you are so right about trusting in God. I know he never fails me either. See, he sent me you for advice and encouragement!! :wink: :D
chelsea6
On Fire!

Postby Zon » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:22 pm

Well hello again chelsea6 , :howdy:
Ain't you the little sweetie! Thanks for the compliment, but how do you know that, maybe God sent You to me! I've never got to converse with anyone from Iowa before! That's a blessing in itself! Nobody could've convinced me (about 25 years ago) that we'd be able to converse, make friends or even be able to be of help to someone, via the internet! Shucks! I can remember when we'd jokingly say, "Wait and see, they'll come a day when you'll have to go brush your hair before you answer the phone!" And now that day is here! I'm serious when I tell you that, I didn't know what to think when I watched a video on a little cell phone!! I'd already looked at pictures on them for a year or two, before I knew anything about them being able to record a video!!! Am I really that OLD? :lol: (Well back to the subject at hand):
The reason I think those Chantix packs are hard to open is:
It gives us something to take our anxiety and frustrations out on! :x I mean, yeah-I've already had a hot flash or two and a Ka-zillion mood swings by the time I get the thing out of the pack; but I can proudly say, "It didn't 'whoop' me" :P
And good for you that you've never smoked! :flower: I wish I never had! But I come from a family of smokers and I guess it was a 'learned' pattern. And yep! I'm munching around a bit more myself :eat: , but I can blame part of that on the ole' Minnie too! Cause I've gained about 15 more pounds since ole'
Miss. Minnie introduced herself to me! But I look at it this way:
I can always try to lose weight. But I don't have any power over lung or heart disease! Quitting smoking-is worth it's 'WEIGHT' in gold!
Zon
Combustible

Postby chelsea6 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:59 am

Zon wrote:Well hello again chelsea6 , :howdy:
Ain't you the little sweetie! Thanks for the compliment, but how do you know that, maybe God sent You to me! I've never got to converse with anyone from Iowa before! That's a blessing in itself! Nobody could've convinced me (about 25 years ago) that we'd be able to converse, make friends or even be able to be of help to someone, via the internet!

I agree God is always at work, and I love to see his plans come to fruition. Yes, we were supposed to meet.. woohoo!! :D
chelsea6
On Fire!

Postby Zon » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:15 pm

Soooooo, how's the hubby doing on the Chantix his 4th time around? I hope once I stop taking them that I won't fall back into that ugly habit (errrr...addiction) again. I get a little sick to my stomach sometimes, but not so bad that I can't deal with it. It sure hasn't kept me from EATING!!! :eat: :laugh1:
You'd think between the nausea and all the sweating from the flashes, that I'd be wasting away to nothin'! :hmm: :lol:
I better not hold my breath! Huh? I'm ballooning so fast that I've started missing body parts!!!(Can't see em' anymore)! :shock: :dontknow: :rofl: AH-I guess that's o.k. for right now. It's a blessing that I've got an understanding hubby who loves me no matter what, otherwise he'd been gone a long time ago. Don't know what he ever saw in me in the first place, but I hope he can still see it under all the FAT rolls!!! :luv: :lol:
Zon
Combustible

Postby minniepauz » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:12 am

Zon, just keep thinking about how much healthier you will be and how much better you smell!!!! LOL Even my grandkids mentioned it after I quit!

I gained weight too, but then I started walking and found that I wasn't so out of breath plus I've been able to drop a few pounds (12.5 so far).

Keep telling yourself that you're doing the right thing even though it gets frustrating when you have an urge for a cig. It will only last for a short bit (the urge), but the damage if you keep smoking (or go back to it) will last a lifetime. That's what got to me....the reality of my having cancer or emphysema and how THAT would feel compared to just getting over the urge to have smoke in my lungs.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Zon » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:26 am

Thanks Dee! You're SO right! I had expected to gain some weight: I'd mentioned it to my doctor before I even started the Chantix. He assured me that the added weight would still be healthier, than continuing to smoke. And he reminded me that a person can work on losing the weight 'after' they've succeeded their goal of giving up the 'smokes'. So that's what I have the intention of doing, even though I understand that weight is an issue with going thru menopause too! I've got a treadmill that I plan on putting to use, as soon as I can get it relocated. That will also help workout frustration and anxiety!
I've had a little more time to read some more info. on this site lately. And may I commend you girl! Anything I have had a question about, can be found here or on a link that you've provided! How can we 'Minnie's' thank you enough!!! I've read a little bit about you too. And I can say, "We've got a lot in common!" I'm one who loves laughter too, and best of all making others laugh. Even if it's at my own expense! I started years ago advising a friend (who suffered a nervous break down), not to let the little things get to her. Just laugh it off!
You know, like...opening the refridgerator door to put the broom inside! That sort of thing. She's doing good now! Especially since she's found out that it's started happening to me!!! :lol: So thanks again for letting us know that we're not alone! And we deeply appreciate all the info. you have worked so hard to provide for us! YOU'RE A GOD SENT DEE! THANX!
Zon
Combustible

Postby chelsea6 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:52 am

Zon, Minniepauz & all the gals: Looks like we're all in this together for sure!!! :lol: It makes everything go so much smoother having someone to talk to!!!

Last night I was at an auction with my husband, and he gave me money to buy us a Diet Mountain Dew and a Regular Mountain Dew. Guess what I asked for?? I asked for 2 Regular Diet Mountain Dews. :shock: :roll: She looked at me funny, and I realized what I asked for. I told her I was sorry, and blamed it on my menopause, and you know what?? We got to laughing so hard... she said she's been in menopause for 4 years, and things like that happen to her all the time too!! :lol: I gave her this website, and told her how nice everyone is, and she's going to take a look at it!! Woohoo!!

Zon: Now if I can get my husband to do his Chantix's correctly. He's taken to 2 pills in the morning, then will smoke the rest of the day.. UGH!! :? I'll have to encourage him more!! :D
Last edited by chelsea6 on Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chelsea6
On Fire!

Postby minniepauz » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:00 pm

I actually thank GOD for the internet because it has allowed us to share our experiences with so many. That is really what helps even more than giving advice, just letting people take what they need from those of us who have gone through the challenges of life. I've found that people are less likely to put up walls when we aren't telling them what they should do, only explaining what WE did in the same situation. Your friend obviously saw that you have made it through trying times with your sense of humor and that's what I have shown with my website. I don't shove my "humor replacement therapy" up anyone's nose.....they come looking for it and they find a place that is non-threatening, yet very strong because of the bonds we make through our experiences. It's so natural for women to want to share :bighug: instead of compete like men do. This is a man when you try to share with him :tmi: hahahah....just kidding!

Thanks for the lovely comments....that's what keeps me doing this (for 11 years) If I didn't get the feedback or interest from all you ladies, I don't have a clue about what I'd be doing right now!! The best thing that all of you can do is to keep leading women to the site, reading the newsletters, responding to the posts here and checking out the advertisers and sponsors on the site.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby chelsea6 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:21 pm

minniepauz wrote: This is a man when you try to share with him :tmi: hahahah....just kidding!

Oh, thank-you SO much for this, it really made my day!!! LOLOLOL!! :lol: :D :D :lol:
chelsea6
On Fire!

Postby Zon » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:19 pm

Sometimes I feel like I've known you gals all my life! And yeah, I think we are all in this together! And you did good Chelsea, to share this site with her. I hope she'll come aboard so we can get aquainted real soon! Tell your husband,HE'S ONLY CHEATING HIMSELF!!! The Chantix really does work! But just like my doctor told me before I went on them...A person needs to make up their mind FIRST, if they truly want to quit smoking. Cause your attitude will have a bearing on whether or not you'll stay away from the cigarettes, once you've completed the program! Men usually voice how tough they are. Try asking him if he's gonna let a little thing as small as a cigarette whoop him? (Be Da' Man) :lol: Oh! How I loved the auction when we were getting to go! My husband works such late hours now,that it's hard to get to go anywhere, On the weekends we're catching up on sleep and outside chores!

they come looking for it and they find a place that is non-threatening, yet very strong because of the bonds we make through our experiences.

Yes! That's why we feel so comfortable to just vent it all out!

keep leading, reading, responding and checking out the advertisers and sponsors on the site.

You got it sister! Cause we sure want this site to get world-wide recognition! Don't we ladies? You've sure got my support!
Zon
Combustible

Quick Reply

Next

Return to Can you quit?