How do you do it?

Are you a smoker? Do you want to quit, but need support and encouragement from others who have quit or are trying to?

Moderators: psexypsychic, colopam

How do you do it?

Postby Liette » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:44 am

How do you quit smoking when you're going through menopause and your emotions are all over the place already?
I will be glad for any suggestions because I really want to quit but when I'm having a really awful day like today :cry: I just want to smoke more so I stress out about the fact that I'm smoking which sends me into orbit. I definitely need help.

Thank you!
Liette
Warm Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:31 pm

Liette...I was the most committed smoker you can imagine, so I KNOW how hard it is to get to the quitting. I'll tell you a secret....DECIDING to quit is harder than actually quitting! Once you really, truly want to quit you find more reasons NOT to smoke than to light up that next cigarette.

It's different for everyone, so the key is to find as many different suggestions and "tools" as possible to find what seems do-able to you. Most people told me to pick a quit date and then get rid of my cigarettes. Nope....I just finally said that's it, I'm not going to smoke any more, it's getting too scary and expensive. And I had cigarettes handy for about 3 months...just in case I decided to go back to smoking!

I'm sure you looked at my webpage http://www.minniepauz.com/quitsmoking.html You need to read all of it and then read each of the links I've given there. Take the time to really check into all the info you can that will support your efforts and make you realize how smart you are being to even consider becoming a non-smoker!

Give yourself a week without smoking with the knowledge that if it's just not the right time (or a million other excuses :)) you can go back. Do anything that is a step towards not smoking. You can do it Girl...it's mind over matter.

I was going to try accupuncture next if I still couldn't quit, but now it's been 2 years and 13 days and I'm still happy to be a non-smoker!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Liette » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:40 pm

Thank you for the info and support. That is good advice and I will get to the point where I will no longer want to do that to myself. Your site is a lifesaver for me.
Liette
Warm Pauzer

Postby CathyW » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:42 pm

Liette your not alone in your battle. I too wish I had the strength to quit but with all this peri crap going on just don't know if I'm strong enough :( Dee and all the others that have quit give me hope that some day soon I will too. Good luck Liette...maybe some day we can proudly say "I did it"!
Cathy
born 1960/peri/fibroids/hypothyroidism/on Disability because of FM
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Postby colopam » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:43 am

Cathy and Liette

I think it might be workable to quit 1 cigarette at a time. bear with me I'm not being mean. Maybe ask "do I really want this particular cigarette at this particular time"? You might be able to say no, might not but that's ok too. BUT every cigarette you turn down is one down. How do you build a wall, 1 brick at a time. No bad feelings or self recrimination just doing the best that we can as we can.

Hugs to you, you are in my thoughts!!
Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby CathyW » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:22 pm

Thanks Pam. I have been giving that a try the last couple of days and have managed to cut the amount I smoke in half. Not sure if I will ever manage to quit completely :oops: I understand from most people that going "cold turkey" is the only way to do it. Oh well I'm trying...wish me luck!

Cathy
Cathy
born 1960/peri/fibroids/hypothyroidism/on Disability because of FM
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Postby colopam » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:29 pm

Cathy

You're in my thoughts and prayers. That 1 cigarette you don't smoke is one that's not smoked and that's a step!!! Good for you!!!

Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:04 pm

Cathy, there's no one way to do it so just do what you can. Cutting back is good!! You did GOOD! :) As I mentioned before (way too many times!), just keep telling yourself that you are stronger than the cigarette and find something else to do until the urge passes. Don't sit and think about how bad you want one. Fill up your thoughts with praise for yourself, how your lungs will start healing themselves...anything to take your mind off it.

Everyone told me to get rid of the cigs, lighters and ashtrays, but I didn't. I thought if I'm going to quit, I'll do it knowing the cigarettes are there if I break down. :) I puffed a couple, but didn't inhale and then told myself again that I really didn't want one and that it tasted horrible!!

Keep the good thoughts my dear....if it's your time, you'll do it.
minniepauz
Site Admin

How do you do it?

Postby newbattleaxe » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:57 am

I tried cutting back, the patches, the gum, "light" cigarettes, cold turkey, special filters, Welbutrin (prescribed for depression, actually) which caused me to have petit mal seizures, - just about the whole gamut.
Then, my sister, who is an ob-gyn, prescribed Chantix. It doesn't conflict with any of my other meds (migraine preventives, abortives & rescues, Effexor XR, & various OTC's for CFS, & Black Cohosh Root). From the first pill, cigarettes had no taste and NO EFFECT ON ME! My pharmacist said to go ahead & smoke while taking Chantix. I did, & felt really stupid - "Why am I doing this?" stupid.
I've been cigarette-free for well over a month, and off Chantix for 11 days. No urges, no cravings, even when I'm around smokers. I feel better, my asthma's just about gone, & I've gained no weight.
Rebecca
"When you get to it, do it." Harris Manning, 1994
newbattleaxe

Postby minniepauz » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:25 pm

Good for you, Rebecca!!!! Way to go! :cheer: The same thing happened to me 2 years ago when I decided to quit and started using the Commit lozenges. I couldn't see continuing to put the nicotine in my body so I just quit.

I honestly found that it was much more the MENTAL quitting that was hard instead of the physical part. I've never had another cigarette and I still can't believe it. It's been 2 years and 2 months and 12 days. The biggest problem is being around loved ones who still smoke. They stink and I choke on their smoke if it comes my way. :cry: They really get upset with me when I get on my soapbox :soap: too, but now that I've found the light, I want them to see it. LOL
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Seawind36 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:14 pm

I guess this is kind of reviving an old topic, but hey - I'm at the two week mark! Me and DH both, I just decided that's it, we've been talking long enough, let's do it - and we did! My daughter and our roomate, on the other hand, haven't yet. I've done it before, for 7 full years - never should have given in after that! LOL Oh, well - live and learn - if I ever have another really bad experience that does that, I'll go ask for meds to get through it instead of turning to cigs again!
Robin, the certifiable granny
Peri since 2002
Seawind36
Warm Pauzer

Postby Zon » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:00 am

Seawind36 said:
I'll go ask for meds to get through it instead of turning to cigs again!

If it should happen to come down to that, then I suggest you try Chantix. I've smoked for 30 years and I'm on the RX now. It really does work!
The world will never care how much you know,
until; The world knows how much you care!
Zon
Combustible

Postby Seawind36 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:48 am

I am glad it is working for you, zon! I don't think Chantix would have done me any good at the time. It had been 7 years since I quit, and I went through a couple of major life crises in a 6 month period and it was more than I could handle. Now I know that I would be better off with meds to get through it that turning to smoking again! It has taken me almost 10 years to quit this time and in some ways is more difficult than the first time.
Peri since 2002
Seawind36
Warm Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:23 pm

My sister did the same thing (started smoking again after quitting) but she's back on track now (using Chantix). Obviously it's not the answer for everyone, but it's the first non-nicotine treatment that's been developed and it is helping a lot of people. Each one of us has to find the combination of physical and psychological help to break this habit. For me it was finally being able to be honest with myself. I couldn't justify continuing to smoke. I wish I could convince myself to quit eating carbs now! (I did that a few years before quitting smoking and lost 55 lbs!)

I wish you the best in quitting!! I've never regretted it! 2 1/2 yrs. now.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Seawind36 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:20 pm

I'm happy - we're past the two week mark now and doing fine with it, truthfully. yeah, those moments of ooh, got my coffee, my computer, my cigs...oops, no, I'm not smoking! Oh, welll, got the coffee and the computer! I'm good! I have more time for the babies because I'm not worried about running to the bedroom for a cig. (we have tried to minimize how much we smoked around them for some time anyway). Now I just have to get past the habit of hiding in the bedroom - there's no reason anymore! LOL

Now if we can just find what will give me back my focus and my concentration, I'll be one very happy camper! It will take a couple of weeks to see if the meds I am trying help :-(
Peri since 2002
Seawind36
Warm Pauzer

Quick Reply

Next

Return to Can you quit?