I'm on Chantix...

Are you a smoker? Do you want to quit, but need support and encouragement from others who have quit or are trying to?

Moderators: psexypsychic, colopam

Postby chelsea6 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:08 am

Zon wrote:

No Wonder! I don't see how he can smoke that much while he's taking the Chantix! Why don't he just wait until he's serious about quitting? (I think that's what I'd suggest).

I wonder about that too!! He says the package says to keep smoking until after the first week. :roll:

He is so weird.. But hey, this morning he ate 2 pieces of toast with peanut butter before his pills, just like he is supposed to!! :shock: I couldn't believe it, he actually followed directions for once. Maybe something is kicking in?? :?: :shock:
chelsea6
On Fire!

Postby Zon » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:06 pm

He says the package says to keep smoking until after the first week

UH...I think it says that you can continue to smoke the first week, (not that you have to). They're giving you time to get adjusted to the med. and get use to the idea of NOT smoking!!! :lol:

Maybe something is kicking in?

I sure hope so Chels! :hmm: He's sure taking this all awfully hard, it seems. And I don't see how it could be any rougher on you! (You have my sympathy. :sad1: )

Did the toast and p-nut butter keep him from getting nauseous?
The world will never care how much you know,
until; The world knows how much you care!
Zon
Combustible

Postby chelsea6 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:48 am

Zon wrote:
He's sure taking this all awfully hard, it seems. And I don't see how it could be any rougher on you! (You have my sympathy. :sad1: )

Did the toast and p-nut butter keep him from getting nauseous?

Thank-you for the condolences...lol :wink: It must be working because he only wanted 1/2 a piece of peanut butter/toast before he went to work. The Chantix's are still making him have TERRIBLE mental withdrawl.. and he is down to 1 pack a day instead of 2 1/2 packs. He is a psycho on these things!!! :evil: He is not himself at all. Yesterday he got on a kick about how he only wants us to eat one meal a day, and if I'm buying more than enough for one meal, it's not necessary. So if I have leftovers, I'm supposed to throw it in the garbage. (Now does this sound normal??? :roll: ) So I made a pot of chili, ate 2 bowls, and the rest got thrown away. He bought 1 pound of cheddarwurst, ate 2 of them, with Fritos, then told me to throw the package of buns, the Fritos and the rest of the cheddarwurst away. No leftovers. Whoa... that was hard to do!! We have money, so I don't know what this is all about.

Gee, I can't believe this side effect is only happening with my husband. I've heard Wellbutrin does this for many people. But this is the first time I've heard of Chantix causing such craziness. :?: I'm just going to trust God that this will work for him, and just go with the craziness while he is on the stuff.
I'm sure withdrawl isn't ever easy for everyone, and he seems to be the one person that is getting the worst of it. :cry:

Me.. I'm stocking up on Midols for the upcoming week.. oh yeh!!
:D
chelsea6
On Fire!

Postby minniepauz » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:23 pm

chelsea....if he's acting so "psycho" on this drug, then maybe he should get off of it. I found these pages by doing a search for "weird side effects on Chantix":

This one says he did great on Chantix:
http://onchantix.com/blog/stan

These are mixed results:
http://www.thatsfit.com/2007/10/14/the- ... f-chantix/

Here's the search result:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=st ... on+Chantix

Anecdotal evidence that this drug does causes serious behavioral changes in some users is starting to pile up. Until more studies are done to determine the safety of Chantix, caution should be used when taking it. And at the very least, users should avoid all alcoholic drinks while they are taking Chantix.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby chelsea6 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Minnie: Thank-you SO much for the post!! I just knew it was the Chantix causing this craziness. From your link I read this :shock: :

Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians drummer, Carter Albrecht, died last month after going into an uncharacteristic rage and being shot by a frightened neighbor. His girlfriend and family members are convinced that Chantix played a role in the drastic change in his behavior, and say he had just double his dosed (as prescribed) the day he died.

.. My husband just doubled his dosage last night :shock: , so I am going to be ultra-sensitive and alert to any outbursts that may occur. (He does drink some beer with his friends on the week-ends) Me, I am happy being the designated driver...lol :D With all the episodes thus far, I'm staying alert in case anything resembles the above paragraph. Thank-you for the heads up.. it is much appreciated!! :wink:

The article doesn't say if any other factors could have played a part in this mans death besides just the Chantix. I know a lot of celebrities/band members have used illegal or prescribed drugs, hard liquor, etc. So a combination of Chantix with these could produce a lethal result. I'm going to warn my husband about not using alcohol . I'm sure it will fall on deaf ears since it's the week-end already, but who knows?? :roll: I'm off to read more about weird side effects. This was a great idea!!!
chelsea6
On Fire!

Postby minniepauz » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:36 pm

You are very welcome...I hope you read more of the comments, like on this link (below the article) http://www.thatsfit.com/2007/10/14/the- ... f-chantix/

I would say if you have noticed a dramatic change and mostly anger, you should have your husband stop taking them and see the doctor. It sounds like they're hard to get off of too (depending on how long someone was taking them). It may be great for some people that have very few symptoms (like the dreams) but I wouldn't risk it with the kind of personality changes you've described.

My sister was taking Chantix too but she lives in IL and I never thought to ask her about these kind of side effects...I think she complained of headaches quite often but she quit smoking so it seems to have worked for her. Good for some, not so good for others. Remember it's a very strong drug that does affect your brain.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby chelsea6 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:54 pm

minniepauz wrote:I wouldn't risk it with the kind of personality changes you've described.

.... Remember it's a very strong drug that does affect your brain.

That's what I am pondering right now. Thank-you. :D I've read the link you put up, plus I'm reading hundreds of testimonies as to the dangers of this drug in regards to it being a psychotic drug, which I believe is true.

On the other hand, smoking also is dangerous. My husband smokes at least twice in the middle of the night with the light still off, and I'm not sure he is fully awake. I have noticed at least 2 large cigarette burns in my sheets over the years. I've told him how foolish smoking in bed is, and how it could result in us dying from a fire. He says he is sorry, but he is too addicted, and can't help it.
Also he could get lung cancer, emphyzema, etc. I even could from second-hand smoke.

Yikes... this is why I am trying to get through a few weeks of these psychotic episodes. It's hard, but it may be worth him staying on it to see if he can lick this addiction. And me with my Minnie Moods :shock: ... Yikes.. I am so thankful for you gals!!! Just having someone to listen really helps!!! :wink:
chelsea6
On Fire!

Postby Zon » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:40 pm

OH MY GOSH! NOW I'M SCARED!!! :bigeyes:
I don't know why I didn't think to look somewhere other than the Chantix web site, to find out about other side effects that they might not have listed! THANKS DEE!!!

I don't know whether to continue on the Chantix now or not! I'll probably just start trying to take more notice of my attitude, and see if I can recognize anything more abnormal than the 'minnie moods'. I do know that I've told my husband (more than once, lately), that I didn't even like myself anymore! And I've been staying to myself more too. Just to keep from being so intolerable to others!!! It may not be the 'minnie moods' at all!!!

I've been on the Chantix for 7 wks. now, so I'm thinking of weaning myself off of them with the pk. I have left. (I read on one of those post where a lady did that, and she's still not smoking). I sure don't want to go completely berserk! :freaking:

I have a doctor's appointment on the 12th. And I'm gonna discuss this with him. I think if he knew about these side effects he should've warned me. All he mentioned was the gas and nauseousness.

Chels said: :shock:
I have noticed at least 2 large cigarette burns in my sheets over the years. I've told him how foolish smoking in bed is, and how it could result in us dying from a fire. He says he is sorry, but he is too addicted, and can't help it.

I know EXACTLY how you feel! My husband has burned more than one or two holes in the sheets, comforters, blanket and yes even himself, over the years. He now lays his cigs. across the room because I've proved to him that he lights up in his sleep! If I hear him go after one in the middle of the night, I stay awake until he puts it out. For 'our' own good!

:hug2: Be careful and watchful with hubby, Chels. My prayers are with you. I agree with Dee that he may need to see his doctor. This drug may not be the right one for him and there may be something that works for him even better. Keep us posted on his condition. (AND YOURS!)
Zon
Combustible

Postby chelsea6 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:07 pm

Zon wrote:OH MY GOSH! NOW I'M SCARED!!! :bigeyes:
I don't know why I didn't think to look somewhere other than the Chantix web site, to find out about other side effects that they might not have listed! THANKS DEE!!!

I know what you mean!! :shock: I sure hope this drug isn't a walking time bomb. It wasn't too long ago we went through that with the weight loss drug Phen-Phen. :(

Zon wrote: Keep us posted on his condition. (AND YOURS!)

I sure will!! :wink:
chelsea6
On Fire!

Postby Zon » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:11 pm

Chels says:
I sure hope this drug isn't a walking time bomb.

ME TOO! I've already put my family and friends through enough! And blamed it on the menopause! When (what if) the Chantix may have been the culprit all along? I'm advising others to go to that same link and read what so many others are complaining of!
Zon
Combustible

Postby minniepauz » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:57 am

Here's one of my readers who used Chantix to stop, but she (and her husband) didn't stay on it a long time because of the side effects...she still is glad she took it. Just like everything else, it's got to be an individual decision based on your health history and as much research you can do....again, I say thank GOD for the internet! (or is it Al Gore? LOL)

"Actually, none of that stuff with nicotene in it works. If you know anyone that REALLY wants to quit, tell them to go to the Dr and get a prescription for CHANTIX. It works in the brain, if you have one. LOL! My hubby and I both smoked for 48 years. I smoked non- filtered Pall Mall Reds for most of that time. The recommended time to take it is for 3 months . we only took it for 2 because it gave us bad dreams and really bad farts. LOL but the side effects were worth it! One good thing about it is that you can continue smoking for the first week while the drug builds up in your brain.
Anyway, neither of us has had even one puff since we quit over 6 months ago, on New Years Eve, and I am sure we will never will again! You can got to the Chantix website for more info, chantix.com.
I also have this Quit Meter on my computer. It really helps to look at it when you are tempted to cheat. QuitMeter.com
26 weeks, 3 days, 14 hours, 16 minutes and 51 seconds. 3,712 cigarettes not smoked. $870.46 saved.
PS: I am not being paid to say this. We think it really is a miracle drug! We have tried other things dozens of times."
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Zon » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:24 pm

I'm so confused :boggle: !
It feels like I've picked the worse time of my life, to try to stop smoking!!!

:disapprove: Besides the 'minnie moods' I'm having to deal with. And the holidays around the corner...now my mother is threatening suicide! (She has dementia).

I'm not ready to throw a 'Pity Party' yet. It's like my son tells people, "Everybody has a story". :tmi:

Sometimes, I'm not sure what in life is worth fighting for!
(yeah... I guess I do, it's just hard to focus on it sometimes.)
Zon
Combustible

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:53 pm

oh Zon, I really feel for you. I gave up smoking once when I was 23 (just after I became a Christian and was going to be baptised) and once in '89 in order to become pregant, as I had foolishly started again upon meeting my husband who smokes.
(I had gone through a very difficult nursing module and needed to feel free).
It was so hard to give up, especially the 2nd time, and that was only after about 9 months of smoking, unlike the previous time when I had been smoking for 10 years, since I was 13. :?

It sounds like you might be a bit depressed. I know I am lately, and afraid am sinking some lagers down to feel normal and cheerful.
I know it's not good but I am just too tired and depressed at the moment.

I do pray your mother balances up chemically so that the threats of suicide stop.
I was just having a little weep as a TV prog. was showing clips from 'Upstairs Downstairs' that I used to watch with my mom when I was about 10.
I was thinking how I might like to be a little girl again...no responsibilities.

For you

Last edited by Seventeen_At_Heart on Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Born 1959
Hashimoto's hypothyroid finally diagnosed 1991 when 30, (after first child).
In pre-menopause. Trying natural progesterone cream.
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:55 pm

Zon, I think this is a good time to seek out blessings in your life and focus on that. Sometimes things just start piling up and we just can't see past the misery we feel, but usually it's only a bump in the road and things will improve in a short time.

I know it must be awfully tough to deal with your Mom's condition and I do hope things get better real soon. That's so stressful and you need to find ways to de-stress so you can keep your sanity!

Take care of yourself, ok? :bighug:
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby chelsea6 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:21 pm

Zon:

I'm with minnie.. Here's a big {{{{ HUG!!}}}}}}

(Oh. my husband is now officially back to smoking full time.) :roll:
chelsea6
On Fire!

Quick Reply

PreviousNext

Return to Can you quit?