Time to restart our efforts!

Are you a smoker? Do you want to quit, but need support and encouragement from others who have quit or are trying to?

Moderators: psexypsychic, colopam

Time to restart our efforts!

Postby minniepauz » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:48 pm

Did you see the Oprah show yesterday? She had Dr. Oz talking about smoking, plus the whole audience was smokers and there's a plan on her site to help people quit. This should really help a lot of people because she can put the best info and reach the most people in one spot. I'm very pleased to announce that March 1 will be my 3rd year of not smoking!

Here's something interesting too....I have mentioned many times that smoking can bring on early menopause (mine at 41), so it's not news that all the chemicals in cigarettes can affect our hormones. That makes me think that quitting might make peri-menopause easier. There hasn't been any formal studies (that I know about) comparing peri with smokers vs with non-smokers. That could be very interesting.

Then I came across some information about how the FDA does nothing to regulate the tobacco industry. This is right after the latest report about the FDA saying that the hormone estriol is not approved by them for use in hormone replacement. This is ridiculous! Just another one of those crazy facts that rule our daily lives. I found the info on a site I support that is trying to keep our kids smoke free. http://www.tobaccofreekids.org I really think that getting involved with a group like this might help those of you who need a "bigger purpose" than just saving your own lives. I know, it sounds crazy, but while we're smokers, we ARE crazy!!

Hope you're all still trying!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby minniepauz » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:37 am

hmmmm....lots of lookies, but no posters? :( Did you guys stop smoking or stop trying? Let's talk about it...even if you haven't been able to gather up the energy to try again. Here's a cartoon just for you:

Just keep reading and wanting to quit and you will win!
http://www.minniepauz.com/quitsmoking.html
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:42 pm

it's my husband with this particular one, and our 15 year old daughter :( (she gave up once and has started again :( )*

I smoked from just before 14, to 23 (when I became a Christian)
and then from 28 (when I met my husband, and was going through a crazy stage of wanting to be free and human after giving out so much in the past few years and being a bit uptight and depressed).
until we knew it was the time to try for a baby...a few months before I was 30.

I KNOW it is very far from easy...the 2nd time I gave up I had so many pains in my body. :(
He gave up at the same time..until 10 months later right after I had had our first baby after an extremely traumatic 48 hours at the hospital he came back, alone, to an empty flat (apartment).
Then he started again - and his slightly later diagnosed spondylitis (arthritis of the spine which spread), is something which makes it hard for him to give up as I think the nicotine numbs the pain for a while, and the tension caused by constant pain.

* she has hormone surge problems from the week after her 13th birthday which brought on a type of pubescent epilepsy, and alcohol (as well as some light patterns and stress/over-tiredness and PMT) is one of the triggers)...so, in a strange and stupid way I am almost grateful that she is smoking rather than drinking (as I did at her age :oops: :( ).
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

How I gave up!

Postby gorgeousfluffpot » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:53 pm

Well it is a zillion years ago when I smoked, but I was smoking 20 a day and they were strong cigarettes - Marlboro usually. In fact, I started smoking French cigarettes called Disque Bleu - now they are STRONG and very stinky (don't know if you get them in the States), You can smell them a mile off but I used to smoke them at work. Came into the office one day to find a petition on my desk, signed by everyone in the office (also all smokers) asking me not to smoke "that stinky French cr*p"!
Anyway, I tried to quit but didn't, until I met Mr. GorgeousFluffpot.
At the end of our first date he went to kiss me and, just as our lips were about to touch (romantic, eh?) he reeled back with his nose all wrinkled up and said that I stunk and, sorry, he couldn't kiss me.
Now that really shocked me, really really did. I knew all the arguments about health reasons for giving up smoking, but I had never, ever considered that my clothes and hair and breath smelt. I really hadn't. He was the first one to ever say that, although I am sure that plenty of others thought it.
Anyway, I gave up that night, stubbed out the last one and never smoked again. I won't say it was easy - infact the first week I was crawling up walls and biting chunks out of lamp-posts - but after about a week the craving subsided.
Unfortunately I replaced my nicotine addition with a serious chocolate one - hey, there goes the waistline!
Anyway, I read the post in this section with great enjoyment and silent encouragement. Just thought you'd want to hear my story.
Now, if only I could give up chocolate ....
Take cover! Hormones on the rampage again ...
gorgeousfluffpot
One HOT Woman!

Re: How I gave up!

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:58 pm

gorgeousfluffpot wrote:until I met Mr. GorgeousFluffpot.
At the end of our first date he went to kiss me and, just as our lips were about to touch (romantic, eh?) he reeled back with his nose all wrinkled up and said that I stunk and, sorry, he couldn't kiss me.
I feel like that with my husband...but having smoked it has made me more understanding I guess...
it's horrible when it's stale...on clothes...
but sometimes when someone is smoking I have times of wanting one...

Unfortunately I replaced my nicotine addition with a serious chocolate one
and there is a story which could apply to many of us...we are trying to replace something...
I had the chocolate one in the past...
I am convinced we have to get to root causes...

the roots, not the shoots.

when that is done, where do we go though?
Self-help is not always what we need.
We are meant to be inter-dependant.

Not independant (an island)
Not dependant ( a drainer)
But inter-dependant ( a humble receiver).
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Re: Time to restart our efforts!

Postby minniepauz » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:58 am

Is anyone getting notified of a response on this thread? New forum may not be working correctly.......yikes, I need help!!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:19 pm

sorry Dee, I don't click for e-mail notifications as I get SO many e-mails that I'm not able to work through.

I just click on my main Favourites each day to check for new posts, including this forum.

Talking of e-mails, though, I had a confusing e-mail from you yesterday regarding my sig. which I replied to.
Culd you have a look?
Thanks
Born 1959
Hashimoto's hypothyroid finally diagnosed 1991 when 30, (after first child).
In pre-menopause. Trying natural progesterone cream.
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:59 pm

Yes, sorry about that....I guess it wasn't a signature, I think it was just a graphic you posted once? I just know it was big. Maybe it was someone else....dont' worry about it, blame it on menopause! LOL
minniepauz
Site Admin

Quick Reply

Return to Can you quit?