Maybe sleep is the final answer...

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Maybe sleep is the final answer...

Postby minniepauz » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:33 pm

A doctor posted this in response to an article about menopausal insomnia and I'm thinking whoa!!! maybe he's right!!

I’m happy to see that doctors are looking at sleep issues as another source of menopausal symptoms, rather than a “hormonal thing”.

But from a hormonal standpoint, it’s interesting to note that progesterone, which declines in menopause as well as estrogen, is a known stimulator of tongue muscle tone. As one gradually loses the tongue’s reflexive ability to maintain the airway, especially during deep or REM sleep (when muscles relax), one can have frequent total or partial obstruction and arousals. Not all are severe enough to be called apneas, but enough to cause sleep disruption and other various neurologic symptoms.

Since inefficient sleep can promote weight gain, increased fat in the throat can slowly progress into true sleep apnea in some women. This can aggravate or even lead to depression, anxiety, poor focus, etc.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Re: Maybe sleep is the final answer...

Postby colopam » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:23 pm

Interesting Dee,

makes sense, I don't sleep very well and sometimes have the snoring (c'mon everyone does at sometime!)and don't feel rested in the morning sometimes, this could be what's happening. hmmmm. I'd just like to be able to stay asleep consistently. Hugs Pam
It's never too late for a happy childhood!!
The more you live, the less you die!!
Well behaved women rarely make history.
DB: 1958
peri/hypothyroid/fibroids(myomectomy)
Pam
colopam
One HOT Woman!

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:52 am

minniepauz wrote:Since inefficient sleep can promote weight gain, increased fat in the throat can slowly progress into true sleep apnea in some women. This can aggravate or even lead to depression, anxiety, poor focus, etc.[/b]
fat, swellings around the throat are an issue for me with hypothyroidism too, and my husband says I snore more (although I only 'hear' myself snoring if I'm blocked up with a cold - and he could snore for England :mrgreen: )

But, I can see how it's all connected and overlaps (the different hormones and their lack etc).
Born 1959
Hashimoto's hypothyroid finally diagnosed 1991 when 30, (after first child).
In pre-menopause. Trying natural progesterone cream.
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:39 am

Have any of you tried Ambien?

Introducing AMBIEN CR
For over a decade, the maker of AMBIEN® (zolpidem tartrate) has been helping millions of people get the sleep they need. That dedication continues today with AMBIEN CR, a controlled-release prescription sleep medication that comes in two layers. The first layer dissolves quickly, to help you fall asleep fast. Then, the second layer dissolves slowly, to help you stay asleep*.

If you think that you are experiencing insomnia, talk with your doctor and discuss whether AMBIEN CR is right for you.

*Proven effective for up to 7 hours in clinical studies.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:31 am

I'm not sure why but I am a little afraid of prescription sleep aids...maybe it's since I had kids I am afraid of sleeping too deeply incase they need me (yes, I know :( )

don't know if this can be viewed in the U.S. as it's a U.K. supermarket - but I have been wondering, for the last couple of weeks, about trying these as I plan my online shopping from this supermarket, as I have been sleeping quite badly (worrying incase my daughter has a fit, as she has had 2 in the last month).

http://www.tesco.com/superstore/xpi/5/xpi56884745.htm

if it can be viewed the ingredients can be seen. I wonder if any of them would be 'contra-indicated' for women with pre-menopause and hypothyroidism.

I know that calcium and magnesium can help...with sleep ...and magnesium to avoid leg cramps (which I sometimes get...bad circulation), but I wonder about the other ingredients.
Born 1959
Hashimoto's hypothyroid finally diagnosed 1991 when 30, (after first child).
In pre-menopause. Trying natural progesterone cream.
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby bobbi54 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:35 am

I've been doing pretty well in the sleep department with taking Melatonin, 5-HTP, Valerian GABA and Motherwort. These are all great relaxants and natural sleep aids. Now to have it in one formula would be the best! If any one finds the remedy, please share!
-Bobbi :?
bobbi54
Warm Pauzer

Postby FilleFrançaise » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:35 am

Bobbi,
Hi, I take a valerian-based sleep aid that was recommended by my GYN. There's no limit on how much one can take as it's made up of different plants, therefore no overdose problems. This isn't the cure I was looking for, but coupled with the magnesium, it does help. Every little bit helps.

If I find any other miracles, I'll post them!
Fille
FilleFrançaise
On Fire!

Postby bobbi54 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:18 pm

Hello ladies - The National Sleep Foundation cites that as many as 63% of women in their perimenopausal and post-menopausal years encounter some form of insomnia and is very common in post partum women as well. Cortisol is released by the adrenal glands in response to stress and it's one of our "get up and move" hormones that turns proteins into energy. Lack of sleep also affects our metabolism and adds to the weight gain. I've found that Melatonin really helps me along with Motherwort for relaxation and Valerian. Valerian is also very helpful for intense sweating. Good luck.
Bobbi
bobbi54
Warm Pauzer

Postby suzycaboo » Mon May 19, 2008 7:26 pm

Yes, but....what about the having to get up in the night to pee? I do that at least twice and I'm sure that's one of the reasons I wake up with very little zip in my step. If it isn't one thing, it's another! :)
Suzycaboo
suzycaboo

Postby minniepauz » Tue May 20, 2008 6:33 am

The only thing that helped me, Suzy, was cutting out the liquids at least 3 hours before going to sleep. It does make a difference too, except I really have to run for the bathroom in the morning!!! :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Linda Lin » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:35 am

I had not slept an entire night without waking in the last year.
It was soooo frustrating :banghead:
I had tried so many things and finally resorted to Ambien.
I slept through the night.
But I have to be very very careful to allow at least 8 hours to sleep.
I tried taking 1/2 a pill and that didn't work.
Because it still makes me a bit groggy in the morning into the early
afternoon, I don't usually take it.
I have no trouble falling asleep, but I wake up every two hours.
Sometimes I wake up every hour :yuck:
There is an answer out there for me and by golly
I will find it :)
Linda Lin
Warm Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:25 am

If any of you are able to have a sleep study done (through insurance), you should do it. I was finally able to and found out that I stop breathing once every minute! Sever sleep apnea! I'm now working on getting a donated machine. Everyone I know who has one says it makes a world of difference. I'm going to explain this more over in the section I titled the Sleep Lab.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause