Exercise Eases Some Menopause Symptoms

This is where I'll put news articles or links about anything I think will be of interest to you!

Postby minniepauz » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:54 am

It lowers stress and depression, even though it doesn't impact on hot flashes, study finds
By Carolyn Colwell
Posted 1/3/08

THURSDAY, Jan. 3 (HealthDay News) -- Exercise is not a cure for hot flashes, but it does help postmenopausal women cope with stress, anxiety and depression, a Pennsylvania study has found.

The researchers had hoped to prove that exercise could be a less risky alternative to hormone replacement therapy for women suffering from hot flashes, said study author Deborah B. Nelson, a professor of public health and obstetrics and gynecology at Temple University in Philadelphia.

However, the study did find that more exercise led to lowered levels of perceived stress. "The level of anxiety, stress and depression were significantly lower among physically active, postmenopausal women compared to postmenopausal women in the lowest" level of physical activity, the researchers reported in the January issue of Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise.

Still, the results are significant, because the hot flashes women experience as they go through the menopausal transition are often a temporary problem, Nelson explained. Women live a long time in postmenopause, which can be a period when they may struggle with stress, anxiety and depression, she said.

More: http://health.usnews.com/usnews/health/ ... mptoms.htm
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby psexypsychic » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:04 pm

My symptoms came on hard and fast after I was unable to exercise. Now that I'm feeling better (tomorrow- three weeks without the cane!), I'll be back out soon, walking. Not four miles at a time like before, but I'll start again!

*~my MySpace~*

diagnosed perimeno at 36 years old
psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Re: Exercise Eases Some Menopause Symptoms

Postby GreenEyez » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:38 am

I have exercised throughout this peri/meno h*ll, and I agree with the study. It does help. Some days I feel too tired to do my usual routine, but then I just take a casual stroll, or get into some cleaning. But on days I work out, I DO feel better.

It's not always easy, but I am finding at this time of life that I have to be strict on myself, or I could easily become a lazy crone! :P
GreenEyez
Warm Pauzer

Postby Kris » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:46 am

Could someone please SHAME me in to going to the gym I have belonged to for acouple years ... and only gone acouple times?? LOL!! Exercise is good advice!!
Kris
One HOT Woman!

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:15 pm

Kris wrote:Could someone please SHAME me in to going to the gym I have belonged to for acouple years ... and only gone acouple times?? LOL!! Exercise is good advice!!

I can't 'shame' anyone into doing anything :lol:
I don't believe it works :oops:

unfortunately my condition with the thyroid means pushing myself too hard achieves the opposite to what I need (as that is what brought it on in the first place).

I very much believe in walking though...moderately, then building it up...pray for me that I can achieve my goal in that.
(unfortunately I am so bad that I will need an arm to lean on for a while....my husband is offering, but I am scared...I hardly go out as I find crowds and noise difficult...I am not agrophobic, I can go out if I am with a true friend - but seem to be extra-sensitive to many things, for some reason).
It's something common amongst those with chronic/long-term hypo-thyroid problems, an extra-sensitivity to noise.
Born 1959
Hashimoto's hypothyroid finally diagnosed 1991 when 30, (after first child).
In pre-menopause. Trying natural progesterone cream.
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby FilleFrançaise » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:28 pm

I need a good kick in the rear, too! I used to go to the gym 5-6 times a week, now it's a huge struggle to go to one exercise class a week. :baghead:
Last night, I thought I'd die during the hour of a pretty moderate (or what I used to think) session. I do feel better afterwards, but it's so hard to work out.

Oh well, maybe this will come back someday?

Exercise does help, it helps everything :lol:

Best to you all, Fille
FilleFrançaise
On Fire!

Quick Reply

Return to News Articles