Sore throat??

There is still so much we don't understand about our thyroid and how it's related to menopause. The symptoms are so similar so in this forum we can talk and learn about each other's experiences and research.

Sore throat??

Postby Welsh girl » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:38 am

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if a sore and dry throat (at the front and near the thyroid gland) is a symptom of underactive thyroid. I am sure I have this but tests say 'normal'. It's in my family and I have other symtoms as well. Any feedback would be great. Thanks xxxx
Welsh girl
Warm Pauzer

Re: Sore throat??

Postby ms_linda » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:07 am

Can't say I had a sore throat that I can recall. I think my downward sprial started back in 2001, and I only finally was told I was hypo last Fall ('07) Here is a general list of low thryroid

LOW THYROID
metallic taste in mouth
anemia
anxiety, nervousness
chronic fatigue, weakness, lethargy, cold hands/feet, low body temp
constipation
cracking heels skins
depression and irritability
doughy abdomen
edema (face, eyelids)
elevated cholesterol
feeling unable to breathe deeply
goiter
hair loss
heart palps
high tsh, over 2.0
hormonal imbalances (pms, endom, heavy periods etc.)
impaired memory
insomnia
infertility/miscarraige
low basal body temp
low prog - to - estrogen ratio
low T3, T4, T
night sweats
poor concentration
poor vision
thyroid antibodies
racing thoughts
severe menopause symptoms
shortness of breath
slow pulse
slower metabolism (weight gain in general, or on hips)
sudden change in personality
ms_linda
On Fire!

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:40 pm

Welsh girl wrote:Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if a sore and dry throat (at the front and near the thyroid gland) is a symptom of underactive thyroid. I am sure I have this but tests say 'normal'. It's in my family and I have other symtoms as well. Any feedback would be great. Thanks xxxx

definitely...
I have a constant hot sore throat....
I learn to live with it in various ways...drinking regularly, ice cold drinks etc... (paracetamol does not work with me)
obviously the 'hot' means inflamed...
I have discussed this with one or two docs (one is supposed to be the thyroid expert for our health centre)

all I can say is I am tremendously discouraged with the lack of knowledge about so many issues to do with thryroid, amongst general practitioners...

occasionally I fear about thyroid cancer from undetected nodules...but I know many have non-cancerous nodules which cause heat and inflammation too..
yes, it makes me depressed, (physically) which is why my reply is less logical then you deserve, sorry

'Welsh Girl' here is a source that you will find what 'normal' TSH results can sometimes mean :(
http://thyroid-disease.org.uk/index.php?
Please read about the TSH testing and the differences in the scale for results etc etc and so much more...and take your health back...
pray for me...it's gone on for too long for me before this information came to light for me personally...I think it's caused chronic irreversable damage which I can't crawl out from.
catch yours early (and I pray that docs will begin to see the wisdom of this), and stop it causing other problems.
Born 1959
Hashimoto's hypothyroid finally diagnosed 1991 when 30, (after first child).
In pre-menopause. Trying natural progesterone cream.
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby ladydebubba » Sat May 03, 2008 7:23 pm

My mom is wondering if I might have a thyroid problem as I have anxiety and have had for over a year. And she noticed that my hands are shaky most of the time. And my hands stay cold. But I also have been experiencing lately very flushed feelings on my face and a feeling of almost sweating on my back and neck but don't actually feel wet. Just kind of clammy. And I notice heart palpitations sometimes.

Since my February period, my next period was due in early March but did not show up until 7 weeks later. And this one I'm waiting on now was due April 19th and it is May 3rd. It has been 6 weeks since my last one. But some of these symptoms are also symptoms of Perimenopause. And I've kept extra pounds on me and eat just at meal time other than a piece of fruit or yogurt. I don't eat past 6 at night. How can a person distinguish between hyperthyroidism or menopausal symptoms other than through a blood test to check the hormone levels?
Lisa DOB:1960
Peri,
fibroids,
low grade cervical dysplasia (cryotherapy done Dec. 21st) (cured as of June 27th, 2009)
ladydebubba
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Thyroid Issues