Soy Is Goiterogenic - Be careful

There is still so much we don't understand about our thyroid and how it's related to menopause. The symptoms are so similar so in this forum we can talk and learn about each other's experiences and research.

Soy Is Goiterogenic - Be careful

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:57 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdFVnJQJCRI

I feel a bit concerned that I put my baby daughter on soya formula 15 years ago as she was cow's milk intolerant then..
she is quite over-hormonally sensitive now, at 15.

BUT, as far as this forum goes...I have noticed that soy is sometimes recommended for menopause problems.
This has concerned me for a while.
There is a strong connection with thyroid issues and female hormone problems.
Goitre inducing (even if the goitre does not show) foods are not the answer...

metabolism boosting foods are what's needed.
I believe that the brightly coloured vegetables are part of that, and slow release carbs and low fat proteins - but I haven't got the time or energy to go into that now, but wanted to warn about soy.
Born 1959
Hashimoto's hypothyroid finally diagnosed 1991 when 30, (after first child).
In pre-menopause. Trying natural progesterone cream.
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Re: Soy Is Goiterogenic - Be careful

Postby kazy68 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:27 pm

I know what your saying 17@heart, when i visited my G.P with my 10 year old son he asked (as he normaly does) how i was feeling, and i was telling him how i was drinking soy milk but i only have the flavoured kind as i dont like the natural one :yuck: , and i mentioned that Bradley liked it and the look on his face was amazing, he then said DO NOT let him drink it as the things that are in soy milk will give youn lads and men BREASTS, well obviously you can imagin the look on my lads face, and yes he has stopped drinking my soy milk he now calls it my booby milk lol, the poor lad keeps asking me if his boobs are growing and is getting obsessed with trying to loose weight and at the age of 10 he is not big at all, we have got to try to reasure him now that he has not got a weight problem nor will he inherit my huge boobs lol.
I never read the label on the milk, well i thought milk waas milk and anyone could enjoy it, how wrong was i.

Karen
x
forgive me now - tomorrow i may no longer feel guilty.
kazy68
Combustible

Postby minniepauz » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:42 pm

I don't believe I've ever recommended soy supplements on this board. I've always questioned the push for it too as I have read so many studies. Both sides have been battling this for many years and there are even some doctors who allow their cancer patients to use soy.

I believe WHOLE soy foods can be good for you, but not the genetically altered stuff. There is one product, Effisoy, that I believe in. They use fermenting in the process and all the research I've seen says that is good.

http://www.effisoy.com "Effisoy contains the ingredient AglyMax, a unique fermented soy germ extract containing consistent amounts of bioactive isoflavones as well as antioxidant compounds beneficial to overall health and well being. Aglymax is recommended by physicians and trusted by thousands of women in both the US and Japan."
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:20 pm

minniepauz wrote:I don't believe I've ever recommended soy supplements on this board.
sorry, my wording should have been more precise...I meant as far as the remit, the subject of this forum goes (as I had briefly mentioned my daughter's issues from when she was a baby)...
I meant that soy is often prescribed for menopausal women...not, necessarily, on this forum though - sorry for not being clear.

but just to reiterate...for women with thyroid issues it can be troublesome

Karen, the other thing is...the teeth problems it can cause...which was on 'Watchdog' in '94, shortly after the hospital took my daughter off it, after doing allergy testing all day.
The problem is...it tastes so disgusting that they add many sugars...and when the infant is sucking on the bottle it is continually washing over their teeth.

interesting about your doc...a man who is obviously well read on matters.
Hope your son doesn't worry too much though :)
Born 1959
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:08 am

just had an e-mail with a link to this
http://thyroid.about.com/b/2008/05/29/i ... -polls.htm
Is Oprah Winfrey Silly for Soy? Will Her Soy-Heavy New Diet Hurt Her Thyroid? Readers Respond, and Take Our Soy Polls
Thursday May 29, 2008
Last week, I reported on talk show host Oprah Winfrey's latest diet plan. Oprah, who is hypothyroid, is on a new vegan 21 Day Cleanse" diet, and it relies heavily on soy for protein, with meal plans that include tofu, tempeh, Gardenburger soy sausage, soy milk, soy yogurt, and soy products nearly every day, and sometimes more than once.
Read what thyroid patients had to say about Oprah and soy, and take our soy polls now.

Readers had a great deal to say about Oprah and soy:

Kin wrote: "All that soy isn't good…what is she thinking? Maybe it will help her lose weight in 21 days, but what happens AFTER 21 days?"
Lisa writes: "I went the alternative route for years before finally going on Armour, so I understand the desire to try to do it without medical treatment. But I too have some concerns about the soy."

Margret writes: "I agree that Oprah should eliminate or at least drastically reduce her soy intake. It's a pity that people don't realize that soy is NOT necessary on a vegan diet. You can get an adequate amount of protein from other plants. You can eat a healthy vegan diet and lose weight even with hypothyroidism (I'm living proof of that)."

Heather writes: "I think that Oprah, although well intentioned, needs to go to a doctor and get some medication. I know that I have seen horrible doctors and they have not been able to answer simple questions for me. I have learned so much on my own through Mary's books and web sites. I have suffered 3 miscarriages and I know it was a lot part of my thyroid problem and it not being under control before I got pregnant. No doctor has been straight with me and I have had to be my own advocate and research and study up on my own. You would think that doctors would be educated and be able to tell there patients the correct information so that we can lead a healthy life. By taking medications, stress management, reading Mary's Thyroid Diet book, and weight watchers. I am now at a healthy weight. I have lost almost 30 pounds since January. I am ready to try for a baby again. Now that I have a ton of information that I will bring with me to a good doctor."

PL wrote: "She, of all people, who have the money, the healthy resources, regarding bright doctors, foods, etc… is ruining her life, her thyroid. And setting a horrid example! You have the money and the resources to get good, practical and healthy sound help and advice and here you are advocating UNHEALTHY procedures for people like us who have a serious disease...I pray YOU do not get sicker…."

Judy writes: "I have had hypothyroidism since I was 17, now 62, and about twelve years ago, I ate a lot of tofu and soy protein and my TSH numbers were awful. My doctor then told me too much soy protein was very hard on your thyroid gland. Since then I am very careful not to eat too much soy protein. With the proper medication dose and a healthy diet in portion moderation, I don't have a problem."

Donna writes: "She is a fool! Many years ago, before my thyroid problems, I tried going vegetarian and relying mostly on soy for protein and I've never felt more weak in my life!...I follow a balanced diet of a variety of protein sources, complex carbs and plenty of fruits and veggies. I keep my sugar intake low, I work out regularly and, frankly, I feel better than I have in a long time...I really think she's doing her body a lot of harm by limiting her diet so much, but maybe she's just going to have to go through that process herself to figure it out. It's a shame, though. There are so many experience people she can learn from and she's choosing to listen to people who have no idea what it feels like to live with this condition."
Born 1959
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby Spedie » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:15 pm

OMGosh, I could write all day on this topic. I had stage 4 (the worse stage) of endometriosis at age barely 23. I then had my thyroid go bad on me about 10 years ago. I am 47 years old.

Then, last December, I found out I am horribly allergic to soy! I found out the hard way that I was allergic to soy when my whole face got swollen.

A check of the internet revealed articles that link soy to endometriosis and soy to thyroid problems. So, I am not so suprised I am allergic to soy in the end!

I got off Synthroid and am now on Armour. I just started the all Armour regimen a few months ago. I go today for another blood draw.

Because of the allergy to soy, I have had to cut most processed foods out of my diet, and have lost 18 pounds without any effort. I still have at least 30 pounds to go to be a normal weight.

Also, with my new diet, the diarrhea that I had for many years is gone!

It is my personal belief that soy is not good for human consumption, despite the aggressive marketing by the food industry.
Spedie

Quick Reply

Return to Thyroid Issues