Painful gums

There are many health concerns at this time in life and one of them involves our dental health, so I wanted to make a section just for these discussions.

Painful gums

Postby CathyW » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:32 am

Hi everyone. The last couple days I have had extremely painful area on my gums at the back of my mouth. This is an area where two teeth are missing. I have been using warm salt water rinses which really haven't helped. Not sure if I should see a dentist as it isn't a tooth thats bothering me. Its too far back for me to get a good look at it to see whats going on back there. Doesn't feel like a canker sore or anything like that. Any one else had this problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Cathy
born 1960/peri/fibroids/hypothyroidism/on Disability because of FM
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Re: Painful gums

Postby CathyW » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:18 pm

PAIN :sad2: Feels like an abcessed tooth only no tooth there!
Cathy
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:57 pm

Yes, you should go to the dentist, Cathy.... even though the teeth are missing back there, you still have a lot of bone that used to hold those teeth. With all the things that can go wrong with your gums, teeth and bone, at our age you don't want to let anything go unchecked. Get an appt. and then let us know, ok? :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby CathyW » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:42 pm

Thanks Dee. As the day goes on it is becoming more and more painful. Will call my dentist first thing in the morning. Hopefully won't have to wait long for an appointment. Will def let you know :cry:
Cathy
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Postby CathyW » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:21 pm

Went to the dentist and it is an abcessed tooth. First tooth beside the extraction site. Taking antibiotics so hopefully will calm down soon. Another one bites the dust :(
Cathy
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:01 pm

ouch....hope you're feeling better!! I'm surprised the saltwater rinses didn't help, but it was probably past that point. I've got two pieces of advice (after suffering a long time with bad teeth, infection and ultimately having to get dentures)....

1. Take LOTS of CoQ10....it will help your gums and your bones tremendously

2. Take a probiotic supplement...the one I have is called Florajen, my pharmacist recommended it when I was on antibiotics. This helps reduce the side affects of antibiotics (they kill some of the good bacteria our bodies need)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby minniepauz » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:27 pm

Cathy? How's it going since your last post?
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby CathyW » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:59 pm

Hi Dee

Tooth was removed and is healing fine. I appreciate your asking. Hope all is going well with you. Have you started getting the implants yet? My niece had to have all her bottom teeth removed last year (poor girl is only 24 :( ) She just wasn't happy with the denture at all and is getting implants also. Very expensive procedures but she thinks its well worth it.
Cathy
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:20 pm

I had the implants done over a year ago. :) If I had known about denturists before having the implants, I might not have gotten them. Denturists are trained to make dentures that fit and are comfortable, but not all dentists use them for their denture patients. In fact, it's against the law for a denturist to work with a patient except through a dentist. It's complicated but kind of like how the medical profession kept chiropractors out of the picture for so long because they didn't want to give up the money. Same thing dentists are doing now. I've found a new fight!! :) I'm in a battle now to get my $7000 back from the dentist who made my dentures (or had them made, but she did the impressions). The bottom one broke and well.....it's a long story, but I'm trying to get the media to take a look at the dental industry, especially dentures.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby CathyW » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:39 pm

A year ago?? :shock: Where have I been? LOL I hope things went well and your happy with them! $7000 for dentures??? OMG thats crazy. They cost between $1500-$2500 here. To spend that kind of money only to have them break is awlful. You def deserve your money back. I am not sure about the laws here in Canada about denturists and dentist. I believe we can get them anywhere we choose to. Good luck in your fight!
Cathy
CathyW
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to MidLife Dental