Going Nuts

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Going Nuts

Postby Brighid Moon » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:08 pm

I started this peri-menopause thing about two years ago, pretty early. I was 41 - be careful what you pray for, it may happen. :roll: Anyhow, it started with hot-flashes mixed with anxiety. I'm anxiety-prone (PTSD) so I'm not overly surprised to find out, through reading here, that the two are interconnected. Then, when I got out of the stressful situation, the hot-flashes lessened and the anxiety went away. Well, three months ago my area was surrounded in forest fires. It seems that (along with some other stresses) set everything off again, and after trying various psych meds for anxiety, over the years, and not being happy with them, I've decided to confront the peri-menopause instead. I have about eighteen of all the symptoms on the list, so I'm not going to go into all of it. The only part that really bothers me is the anxiety it's setting off. I'm contemplating natural progesterone, after reading here (I really am against synthetic hormones or most medications). I see my gyn in two weeks. Any other ideas to help this until I can get that going? And opinions on how the natural progesterone works? Thanks!
Brighid Moon
One HOT Woman!

Re: Going Nuts

Postby RacerWife7 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:41 am

Hi Brighid!

I replied to your intro post already. But, I wanted to add - we're both at about the same point: I have 17 out of the 35 symptoms (right behind you). I, too, found that stress aggravates these symptoms - had the same thing happen 5 years ago (age 38). At the time, I had talked to EVERY doctor imaginable: my general practitioner, my OB/GYN, AND my endocrinologist. They ALL told me I was nuts and "too young to experience symptoms of perimenopause". :roll: Idiots. :x I KNEW something was wrong. Changing my stress level changed everything. ...So did pregnancy. :lol: I got pregnant only a month after changing jobs (lessening my stress level). Once I was pregnant, my hormones were in PERFECT balance (FINALLY!) and I felt 100% better. Plus, I was suddenly LOSING weight; which scared the hell out of my midwife. She kept sending me for ultrasounds; only to find that my baby was growing just fine. It was ME that was shrinking. So... because of all this, I KNEW that hormones were my issue - in balance, I felt better and my body worked better; out of balance, I had terrible symptoms of pre-menopause. But, it took 3.5 years after the birth of my son for the symptoms to return - NOW.

I'm still new here. But, there is a wealth of information here. So, I wish you luck! I'm sure you can find some things to try here. :D

Oh! And I'm going to my OB/GYN (a new one) on September 5th. When is your appointment?
~ Janet, age 45 (46 in March 2011)
Mom of 2 young boys / Wife of a Saturday night racecar driver / former country line dance instructor/choreographer
Hypothyroid (Hashimoto's), Peri
RacerWife7
Combustible

Postby Brighid Moon » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:07 pm

Hi, Janet! I responded to your response at the other thread too. Congratulations on the baby! :D I had my tubaligation when I was 22 - that's why I was praying for early menopause (and got it! :roll: ) I figured if I couldn't have children, why have periods? :P I think my symptoms actually started when I was 38 as well! I noticed my skin acting "odd" (getting dry and such) and suddenly I'd grown a hair on my chin! Talk about shock - but I had no idea it was peri-menopause or anything at the time. I count mine when I had the first hot-flashes (I was living again with my elderly father, after my mother died, trying to take care of him - that did not work well :roll: ). Strangely, I gained weight during that period - but this time I'm losing weight like mad! (No complaints there! :wink: )

I'm seeing the gyn on Sept. 3rd! We'll compare notes over (I was going to say coffee - but that's off my list for now! :roll: ) tea or something! :D :wink:
Brighid Moon
One HOT Woman!

Postby RacerWife7 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:06 pm

:lol: I'm weaning myself off caffeine. :? I love my coffee :cry: Right now I'm on 1/2-decaf. Blech. :lol:

This pre/perimenopause thing is as crazy as pregnancy - no two are alike! (Thanks for the congrats on the birth of my son, BTW. ;) He's my little 3-1/2 year old monster. LOL!) I can't even imagine the stress you lived through taking care of your father after losing your mother :shock: ... Yikes! No wonder you were having such strong symptoms! I'll be curious to hear what happens at your appointment. I'm glad you have a good, holistic doctor! My general practitioner is holistic. I'll have to see how my new GYN is - she's got a great education, so my HOPES are high. ;) I hope she's agreeable to a holistic point of view at least. I had both of my sons drug-free and delivered by midwives; which, around here, is nearly UNHEARD OF. I wanted to take part in their births, though. I'm a weirdo. LOL! I'm no flower child, though - don't get me wrong. I just can't see taking drugs when it isn't necessary, if you know what I mean. Here's a perfect example: my older son was diagnosed with GAD (generalized anxiety disorder). His pediatrician wanted to put him on Prozac. Uhhh... NO. My 7 year old is NOT taking Prozac, thank you! :shock: That's just NOT the way I go about things - for myself OR my kids. ;)

Anyhoo... Let me get down off my :soap: now... :lol: Whatever. We'll get through this together. ;)
Mom of 2 young boys / Wife of a Saturday night racecar driver / former country line dance instructor/choreographer
RacerWife7
Combustible

Postby minniepauz » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:45 pm

Janet, I'm totally with you on the no drugs things (of COURSE there's good helpful drugs for disease, etc!!). I'm also very skeptical of all the new "disorders" they come up with that just happen to fit the new drugs pharm companies have developed....now isn't that a coinkidinky? :wink: I have a 9 yr. old grandson who's TEACHER recommended that he be put on medication for hyperactivity, so his mother took him to the doctor and based on the teachers comments, he was "labeled" and put on the medication. Poor kid was feeling like he was different than other kids, didn't do well on the medication (I found out later his mother--ex-daughter-in-law--was taking it herself!! Oh lord). My argument was....how does he sit perfectly still for a 2 hour movie or for playing video games for hours on end if he's hyper active????? Anyway, I'm off track, but your comment about your son brought it on. :)

I just meant to tell you that my periods stopped completely when I was either 41 or 42 and I've never had another one (I'm 60 now). I've also never taken hrt OR supplements for menopause because there just wasn't any info out there (in the olden days). :) I'm really encouraged about how women are researching all their options now. That's why someone like you (and all the others) sharing your experiences is so important!

BTW....I had a tubal at age 25 after 3 kids, so maybe there's something to the early meno thing.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby RacerWife7 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:05 pm

I totally agree with you, Dee! Your grandson sounds just like MY son. He's the same way. My own doctor told me "DON'T put him on Prozac! He's a BOY! Boys aren't MEANT to just sit still all day long!" ...He's a GOOD doc, I tell 'ya! ;)

Oh, and on the subject of researching our options?... I learned the hard way that I had to take my health into my own hands after being on synthetic thyroid hormones for 20 years and still having symptoms. :roll: I found this website with a crazy, extreme-sounding name that had tons of great info on it about how T4 only meds don't help and how natural, dessicated thyroid hormones have helped SO many people "fix" the things that have been ailing them for years. That website was a life-saver for me. That's why I'm seeing a holistic doctor for my thyroid now who prescribes Armour and actually BELIEVES it makes a difference.

After years of squawking to my endocrinologist about not feeling well and having him tell me "you need to exercise" :evil: (I WAS.), I finally took it all into my own hands and did what I needed to do for my own health. I know my body. (As I'm sure you ladies do here, as well) I KNOW when something isn't right.

Okay, now that I totally hijacked Brighid's post... :oops: ...Some of this stuff really IS relevant to all of you, right? :lol:
RacerWife7
Combustible

Postby Brighid Moon » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:35 am

LOL I have my own :soap: as well, when it comes to medications and over-medicating. So don't feel bad, Janet! You're not alone! But I won't preach to the choir and :deadhorse: when I'm in agreeable company! :mrgreen: I learned in my 20s that my own health is better in my own hands than in any doctor's! (Too bad most doctors don't seem to see it that way - they get very indignant when you actually know something!)

Dee, that's interesting about your tubal as well. I've heard nothing about a connection to this, but it's been a "pet theory" of mine. And goshdarnit! Why couldn't my periods have just stopped too!

Saw my new therapist today, and she's teaching me breathing exercises to help combat anxiety. I think they may be good for a lot of meno-symptoms. If I find a link to something like that, I'll post it. It's along the line of yoga/meditation techniques.
Brighid Moon
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:48 am

Strangely enough I was planning on putting something in my Sept newsletter about Yoga for Menopause. Here's a fantastic site where you can print off whatever exercises you feel would work for your symptoms and discomforts....amazing:

http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/yoga-and-hea ... opause.asp
1st one:
Breathing Exercise (Pranayama) - Kapalabhati (Cleaning Breath)
Kapalabhati is a Breathing Technique used specifically for cleansing. If we have a lot of mucus in the air passages or feel tension and blockages in the chest it is often helpful to breathe quickly. In this practice, we deliberately breathe faster and at the same time use only Abdominal Breathing, that is, diaphragmatic, not Chest Breathing. In Kapalabhati, the Breath is short, rapid, and strong. We use the lungs as a pump, creating so much pressure as they expel the air that all the waste is removed from the air passages, from the lungs up through the nostrils. Kapala means "skull," and bhati means "that which brings lightness." Kapalabhati is a good thing to do when we feel heavy or foggy in the head. If we have problems with the sinuses or feel numb around the eyes, Kapalabhati can help to clear this area as well.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby kazy68 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:33 am

Just been on the site Dee.......looks great, i will certainly have a go at this.

Last year we brought the Wii console for the kids to play on, and earlier this year we brought the Wii Fit board and game, and to be honest the kids don't get much chance to go on it any more, on the Wii fit game you have to unlock each part, and then you get all the yoga poses and breathing exercises, at first i was a bit sceptical, but now i love it, and it really works the poses have greatly improved my back problems (not perfect but a lot better) and the relaxation breathing is fab and i feel a lot better in myself, just thought i would let you all know, and besides you don't have to go out in all weather to get a bit of exercise,and you can do it in your pj's if you want lol :D

Karen
xx
forgive me now - tomorrow i may no longer feel guilty.
kazy68
Combustible

Postby Brighid Moon » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:37 pm

That's awesome, Dee! And Karen, I'm glad to hear it works! I'm definitely going to add some of this to my repertoire! Thanks!
Brighid Moon
One HOT Woman!

Postby michuganna » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:15 pm

minniepauz wrote:Janet, I'm totally with you on the no drugs things (of COURSE there's good helpful drugs for disease, etc!!). I'm also very skeptical of all the new "disorders" they come up with that just happen to fit the new drugs pharm companies have developed....now isn't that a coinkidinky? :wink: I have a 9 yr. old grandson who's TEACHER recommended that he be put on medication for hyperactivity, so his mother took him to the doctor and based on the teachers comments, he was "labeled" and put on the medication. Poor kid was feeling like he was different than other kids, didn't do well on the medication (I found out later his mother--ex-daughter-in-law--was taking it herself!! Oh lord). My argument was....how does he sit perfectly still for a 2 hour movie or for playing video games for hours on end if he's hyper active????? Anyway, I'm off track, but your comment about your son brought it on. :)

I just meant to tell you that my periods stopped completely when I was either 41 or 42 and I've never had another one (I'm 60 now). I've also never taken hrt OR supplements for menopause because there just wasn't any info out there (in the olden days). :) I'm really encouraged about how women are researching all their options now. That's why someone like you (and all the others) sharing your experiences is so important!

BTW....I had a tubal at age 25 after 3 kids, so maybe there's something to the early meno thing.

I had a tubal at 36 and I am 50 now, no early meno for me. From my early 40's to now I have experienced peri meno symptoms nothing too unbearable, perhaps the itching (everywhere but more intensely in the nether regions) just before my period, I could always tell it was coming by that, now that symptom is gone. I think since my periods started getting irregular 3 months ago is when the worst symptom of all popped up which is the anxiety/panic/weepy/depressed feeling, I feel a bit off my rocker. I can only hope this symptom doesn't stay around for long and cycles out quickly.
"Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home..."

Sometimes I think my train of thought has derailed....
michuganna
On Fire!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause