News about smoking...

Are you a smoker? Do you want to quit, but need support and encouragement from others who have quit or are trying to?

Moderators: psexypsychic, colopam

News about smoking...

Postby minniepauz » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:12 pm

Big Tobacco is at it again. I'd like to introduce you to Polonium 210 (PO-210), the latest surprise from the tobacco industry. In a study conducted at the Mayo Clinic and Stanford University, researchers found that the tobacco industry has been covering up, for more than 40 years, the fact that cigarettes also contain radioactive cancer-causing Polonium 210.

Citing prior research, the study states, "It is estimated that smokers of 1.5 packs of cigarettes a day are exposed to as much radiation as they would receive from 300 chest X-rays a year." The toll...As many as 11,700 people may die each year from exposure to Polonium 210 through smoking.

Currently, no government agency has the authority to regulate polonium-210 or any of the more than 4,000 chemicals in a cigarette. Isn't it time we change that? Click here to tell Congress to pass HR 1108 and to give the FDA authority over the manufacturing and marketing of tobacco products.
http://tfk.grassroots.com/transition/in ... RTUORhSnvj

For the first time, decisions about tobacco products can be made to protect public health rather than to maximize the profits of the tobacco industry.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Re: News about smoking...

Postby minniepauz » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:40 am

Another news report....just a reminder.

Women Smokers Lose 14.5 Years Off Life Span

THURSDAY, Nov. 27 (HealthDay News) -- During Lung Cancer Awareness Month in November, female smokers should take advantage of available resources, pick a quit day, and start taking steps toward kicking the habit, urges The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG).

Even though smoking takes an average of 14.5 years off women's lives, almost one in five American women age 18 and older smokes.

"The damaging effects of smoking on women are extensive, well-documented, and can be observed from the cradle to the premature grave," Dr. Sharon Phelan said in an organization news release. She helped develop ACOG's smoking cessation materials for health care providers.

"Smoking is a harmful habit that negatively affects nearly every organ in the body. There's just no good reason not to quit," she said.

Here's a list of the dangers:

Smoking is the main cause of lung cancer, the leading cause of cancer death in women. Since 1950, lung cancer deaths among women have increased more than 600 percent, according to ACOG.Smoking also significantly increases the risk of many other cancers in women, including breast, oral, pharynx, larynx, esophageal, pancreatic, kidney, bladder, uterine, and cervical cancers.Women who smoke are twice as likely to develop coronary heart disease and 10 times more likely to die from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) than nonsmokers.Smoking increases the risk of emphysema, bronchitis, osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, cataracts, lower bone density after menopause, and hip fracture. It can also contribute to early menopause, gum disease, tooth loss, and premature skin aging.Reproductive-age women who smoke may have trouble conceiving, and pregnant women who smoke are at high risk of delivering preterm or low birth weight infants or having babies with poor lung function, bronchitis or asthma.Women over age 35 who smoke and take birth control pills are at risk for developing deadly blood clots.

"Pregnant women should absolutely not smoke, and smoking should not be allowed in the home after a baby is born," Phelan said. "Unfortunately, we know that infants and young children are more heavily exposed to secondhand smoke than adults, and parents, guardians, or other members of the household often smoke around them."

Almost 60 percent of children ages 3 to 11 are exposed to secondhand smoke, which puts them at increased risk for a wide range of health problems.

More information

The American Cancer Society has more about women and smoking.

SOURCE: The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, news release, Nov. 3, 2008
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Kris » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:39 pm

Thanks Dee. I needed to read that. I'm having a more difficult day today (Day 10) than I did last week. I am trying not to think about it and when I do.... I am trying to turn it all into positive thoughts. Its Not working today. I am not going to smoke.... I have accepted that not being an option for me, but my mind keeps going there. This too shall pass....right? :)
Kris
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:13 pm

Yes, it will pass, Kris! Make a list of the reasons why you want to smoke....because it tastes so good? :) Because it's so good for you? Because it's so cheap? Next, make a list of all the reasons you don't want to smoke......that should keep you busy until the desire passes. :)

And remember what you're doing when you're not smoking is not really that hard....being on a ventilator is hard!! Having throat cancer is hard!! But simply not picking up and lighting a cigarette is, at most, a little irritating.

If you really need a shock back to reality then look at these. They're dreadful, but actually helped me when I kept thinking I wanted to have a cigarette.
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q ... ncer&gbv=2
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Kris » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:43 pm

ok.... wow.... yeah..... the craving is gone! Again patting myself on the back for the good I am doing myself. Thank-you... that was a shock!!
Kris
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:58 pm

You're really doing great, Kris. :) One of the first benefits you should notice this winter is less colds and bronchitis (if you had it before). That has been wonderful!!!

Wow!! 10 days!! Way to go!!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Kris » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:40 am

:D Thanks Dee.... I really DO appreciate your encouragement!! I usually never get colds and have had bronchitis once as a young girl... been lucky that way! I do, however get serious sinus problems though, but they have been MUCH better since I quit smoking!
I did have a few rough days, but feel that is passing. I am right in the middle of my cycle and yesterday I was having some mild cramping and I thought to myself..... Duh! Now I know why I am kinda restless and irritated. Its not the "non-smoking" but just the hormones rearing their ugly heads today!
I am really thinking you are right..... with the right mind set... and a huge amount of desire to be smoke free.... this really isn't to bad this time. (I do have to clarify for anyone thinking how lucky I am that this seems easy ..... its NOT! I have a love/hate relationship with cigarettes. As much as I hated myself for it..... I loved smoking. I am just being honest here..... When I smoked... I was a dedicated smoker. I couldn't wait to get to my car in the morning to have a smoke....wih coffee.... after I ate... couldn't wait to have that smoke..... and any time in between!!) I really have to work hard this time changing my mind about my relationsip with the cigs. This seems to be the key for me and it does make sense! I know it won't work for everyone.... but its worth a try. I feel 100% better. :flower:
Kris
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:55 am

I used to love smoking too, Kris and it influenced everything I did in my life, right down to who I dated or what events I would go to. What became clear though is that I was loving it for the wrong reasons. Let me compare it to food addiction (which I basically have that too)....even when I get to be 50 lbs overweight I can't stop eating the things I love. They really DO taste good (not like sucking smoke into your lungs feels and tastes) and the food really DOES fill you up (not like cigarettes making you "feel" relaxed when they are really a stimulant)....AND you really CAN'T go without food like you can go without cigarettes.

I'm not preaching here, I'm only recalling how I got to the point of not thinking of cigarettes as my friend or something I missed in my life. I think it must be like if you switched religions in midlife....LOL. What if you went from being a Catholic to being Jewish? That's kind of what it's like to go from being a committed smoker to a nonsmoker. :) It's also like leaving an abusive spouse....you still love them but you know if you stay you're gonna die.

It won't be too much longer and you will not be thinking about it constantly. After almost 4 years, I can still remember the times when I think a cigarette USED to taste good right now, but I'm so glad I'm not still addicted. Are you finding it hard to fill up all the time you have? LOL That was my biggest surprise.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Kris » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:04 am

Really just trying to keep busy! I have a huge audit coming up in January for my lab certifications, so I am really finding it good to focus on that. Otherwise..... I am filling up on food! LOL! One thing I have determined happens when you quit smoking...... "you can either never eat again.. or never stop eating!!" I really do not want to gain any weight. I have been trying to lose the same 20 pounds since the last time I quit smoking. I have been going to the gym 4 days a week...... haven't gained any weight so far, but I guess I am having that notorious "oral fixation" I know its not the worst thing that can happen...... I have always dealt with weight issues, but I just want to try to do this without gaining anything.... maybe even losing a few!! Wouldn't that be novel??????? :bouncy:
Kris
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Can you quit?