I'm Almost Afraid to Say This, But............

Are you a smoker? Do you want to quit, but need support and encouragement from others who have quit or are trying to?

Moderators: psexypsychic, colopam

I'm Almost Afraid to Say This, But............

Postby Kris » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:44 pm

I have quit smoking! Its been 2 days now. I've failed so many times before that I hate telling anyone I am trying to quit. I am trying a new and different approach this time. I've re-read through all the posts about smoking and I have determined that Dee might have been on to something. It really isn't about willpower....... it is about your mind-set. I am telling myself that there are not options for me now. I just plain and simple CANNOT smoke. Its not an option. So..... when my mind goes there (and it is every ten minutes) when I feel the anxiety (which I usually don't feel) of WANTING to smoke.... there is just one simple answer for me now..... Get over it. its not happening. I cannot smoke. Anymore. Ever. I know it sounds simplistic and there is NOTHING simple about quitting smoking. But.... I also know smoking is not bigger than i am and I am not gonna give up my life for it. And Dee... thank you..... this will not be the hardest thing I have ever done (That was watching my mom die of lung cancer) It is definately the smartest thing. Maybe now I can get up in the morning and not start the day by hating myself <sigh>
I feel much better already!!!!!! :flower:
Kris
One HOT Woman!

Re: I'm Almost Afraid to Say This, But............

Postby minniepauz » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:43 am

OMG!!! Kris....this is a beautiful start!! I'm so happy with the resolve I "hear" in your post! You really got it... I'm so glad something I said clicked. I've been trying to tell people what happened to help me do it and it was that very thought! It was the reality of that statement over the excuses I had always made about why it was ok to keep on smoking.

Don't be afraid to tell people!! 2 days (now 3?) is a huge accomplishment! And now that you see you can go without a cigarette, just keep doing it and it becomes the best thing you've ever done for yourself and your family!! Everyone will be so proud of you.

You just keep being the boss of your body.....after 3 days, all that's left is the habit. There's no more nicotine in your body to physically crave more. The hardest part now is filling the time where you would have had a cigarette. Just don't do those things anymore...well, at least not just like you used to do them. I had to cut phone calls shorter because I always used to smoke when I was on the phone. I switched from coffee to some hot, instant cider so my mornings wouldn't be the same pattern. I had lots of tasty sugar free candies in the car because I definitely couldn't drive without smoking. :) The candies helped along with a blaring radio!!

The days go into weeks and then into months, Karen! You're a NON SMOKER right now!! :)
Keep us up on how you're doing and decide what you're going to buy yourself with the money you're saving! (I got myself a car because I could afford the payments after I quit) I also bought myself a toaster oven. :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Kris » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:41 pm

Thank you Dee!
Its the middle of day three and I have more energy than I have had in awhile! I have no shortness of breath. Yes, I still want to smoke but I know I will feel that way for quite awhile. ( I am an Oak..... I am an Oak...... )
My biggest concern right now is how to handle my employees. They all smoke and the hang out in the back of the lab on the loading dock and smoke during their breaks. Honestly..... I don't want to see it or smell it tomorrow. But... is it fair of me to tell them to "take it to their cars" just because i decided to quit? I am the owner of the lab.... I make the rules..... but is that being fair to them? And if I continue to let people smoke ... is that being fair to me?? I have always been the employee, until now. I know how I would feel if the owners did that to me. I'd be pissed. I do however, think it is fair to ask them to smoke in their cars.... yes?
Kris
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:22 pm

Make the fairest compromise you can, but it should be in your favor as the boss. They might get pissed but everyone is getting used to their smoking "rights" being taken away. You HAVE to be the priority! Designate a place away from the building or whatever so you don't have to smell it. It really is a sickening smell after you quit. :) If it's to their cars, so be it. Tell them rather than banning all smoking, you are allowing them to smoke somewhere that it doesn't interfere with your quitting. Sorry, but your quitting is more important than their smoking. You know what, they will probably support you 100% because deep down they all wish they could quit. :) :cheer: :cheer:

Good luck! and congratulations on day 3!!!!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Kris » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:41 am

Dee, thank you again for your sage advice. I did have "the smoking talk" with my employees this morning and they seemed to have taken it well. (not sure what they are saying behind my back though :yuck: ) I told them that I had quit smoking and that from now on, I need the smoking to be done outside or in their cars. I also added, that if it had been one of them that quit, I would have expected the same respect from the other smokers, including myself!
This is day four and I have to say I feel great! I still want to smoke, but I feel so much better "Mentally" (not beating myself up) and I feel so much more motivated. This is good...... this is really good!!!! :D
Kris
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:20 am

I am SO proud of you, Kris!! And thanks for putting up your picture!! You look GREAT as a nonsmoker!! :) I knew they wouldn't mind and who knows, you might inspire a couple of them to think about quitting too, especially if they see how great you're feeling (and not grumpy and hard to get along with).

My only advice at this point is to change your thoughts from "I still want to smoke" to something like, "my lungs are so happy I'm not smoking!" :) Even something silly like that will help take away that feeling of wanting a cig. We are what we think.... :)

Your attitude is GREAT! You are doing it this time Kiddo, because everytime you might think about having one, you can talk yourself right out of it! This is why I initially discovered that it ISN'T the hardest thing we'll ever do. :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Kris » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:56 am

Thank you Dee for the support!! It means alot to me! It just seems so much easier this time.... knowing its not my "lack of will power" but rather the Mind set that I am using, that is making this work for me! And your right...... I need to quit thinking I want to smoke.......... and keep thinking thinking about how great I feel!!
I can't believe I was able to even get my picture up here!!! I just had that taken for our Website as a Woman owned business!!!
Gosh I am feeling good these days!!!! :flower: (doesn't hurt that the G-baby will be here in 24 hours either!!)
Kris
One HOT Woman!

Postby Brighid Moon » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:37 pm

Kris, congratulations! You're an inspiration to me! :D :thumbsup:
Brighid Moon
One HOT Woman!

Postby Kris » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:34 pm

Thanks Brighid! I have read your posts and know you have been wanting to quit also. My advice (not that you asked for it.... ) is to go back and read Dee's posts on the subject. When I gave up using my lack of willpower as an excuse..... geesh.... I didn't have anymore excuses up my sleeve. (Had already used the 'stress at work' 'anxiety' etc.)
Yes... I am feeling some pangs of "stuff" going on and I am alittle more sensitive today.... but I know it will pass. (I know I am sounding brave....... it is still hard) The difference for me is no matter what... no matter how I feel now... smoking is not an option for me. I have been going to the gym... so that is helping relieve some tension. :bouncy: Good luck to you!
Kris
One HOT Woman!

Postby periwinkle » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:57 am

Kris,

Congratulations on not smoking. It is a hard habit to break, but you are going to feel so much better in the coming weeks and months. If you can make it through the first three months and get that nicotine out of your system you will have won most of the battle.

I will be praying for you.

Periwinkle (cigarette free for 26 years!)
periwinkle
Warm Pauzer

Postby Kris » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:14 am

Thank-you!! It's people like you and Dee who are my inspiration. It's day five and I am still alive, even though I haven't had a smoke!! LOL!! It's funny..... I'll be doing something then have this fleeting thought of "Cool, I'll finish this then go have a smoke!" Then i immediately remember "Ah hah..... I don't smoke anymore!!" I feel great..... This is working for me....... It is still difficult, if I let my mind "go there", but trying hard not too! The hardest part for me is driving....... trying to talk on the cell phone instead! :mrgreen:
Anyways....................... Grandbaby and family are at the airport in St. louis and making thier way to atlanta.... I am SOOO excited!! You all have a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving!! :flower:
Kris
One HOT Woman!

Postby Kris » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:19 pm

Today I am celebrating one month of no smoking! :bouncy: I feel better than I have in along time....... I have had my rough moments, especially around those who smoke, but I have made it through the rough times thinking about how good I feel. I pray I never smoke again!
Kris
One HOT Woman!

Postby mi4angels » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:16 pm

Kris! I am so PROUD of you! I KNOW how hard it is to quit, because I've tried several times. :banghead: 2009 holds another attempt for me. The only time I was anywhere near successful (I quit for 5 years) was when I had a plan. I will be making my plan soon! Congratulations on your success! :cheer:
Suzanne

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says... "Oh shit...she's awake!!"
mi4angels
Combustible

Postby gorgeousfluffpot » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:33 am

Kris, very well done. A piece of advice, from now on if anyone asks, you don't say "I've given up smoking" as that leads to a discussion and gets you talking about it, thinking about it and some sneaky people offer you a fag and say "go on, one won't hurt" and all that. Nope, what you do is you now say "I DON'T smoke" and that closes a discussion stone dead.
I gave up years ago, not easy but actually after you've gone without a fag for a week then you really have given up, all the cravings from then on are more to do with habit, what to do with your hands, how to accompany a cup of tea, what you do after a meal. So you have broken that habit and all credit to you. So remember, you don't smoke.
Oh, and the situation with your employees smoking ... well I instituted a no-smoking rule in an office I worked in. Didn't make me popular but for our clients and external visitors the change was refreshing and most welcome and our poor old cleaner almost kissed me, she said she was a non-smoker and hated coming into a fuggy office and having to empty ashtrays, she said when she went home at nights her clothes and hair stunk!
Anyway, attagirl Kris !!!
Take cover! Hormones on the rampage again ...
gorgeousfluffpot
One HOT Woman!

Postby Kris » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:24 am

Thank you both!!!!! I appreciate your support. :bouncy: I'm kinda proud of myself.... finally!
Kris
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Next

Return to Can you quit?