Am I normal?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Am I normal?

Postby groovygrandma » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:33 am

I'm only new to this site, and from what I am reading, I am a very late starter. I'm 54 and only just starting to have symptoms that I am putting down to peri. I have had blood tests but they show nothing, and all the symptoms I have must be due to something, although my periods are still pretty regular (worse luck!). So I thought I would put up a list of what is going on with me and see if it's normal, and if some of you might have some advice for me.

overheating – now I don't know if thats the same at hot flashes... it's my whole body overheats and I sweat from head to toe. This usually happens every afternoon and continues until after I go to bed. But then by the time the early morning comes, I am freezing! (And it is not cold here)
doom n gloom – we went away for a few days recently and before we went, I had to tell my daughter some of the things that I wanted her to have!
forgetfulness – I can't remember anything!
aches & pains – I have mild rheumatoid arthritis and I thought it might be flaring up a bit, but after reading other posts, I'm thinking it may not be the RA, but all part of the peri.
tired & lethargic – I just can't seem to get enough sleep. I wake up in the morning like I haven't slept and given half the chance I would fall asleep most of the day, which I have done today! I do have Hashimoto's disease, but my thyroid levels are stable, so it's not causing the tiredness.
sugar cravings – I just can't seem to resist the craving for sugar and sweets, and it's nothing for me to eat at least a packet of lollies each day.
weight – I have put on about 8kg (18lb) and that's probably due to the fact that I am craving so much sweets and don't have the energy to exercise.
bloating – this is not every day, but when it happens I'm just so uncomfortable.

Please tell me this is all to be expected and I am 'normal'??? Well as normal as anyone can be when going through this!
Glenda
Thyroid (Hashimoto's), Peri.

Growing old is inevitable,
But growing up is optional!
groovygrandma
Warm Pauzer

Re: Am I normal?

Postby minniepauz » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:51 am

Oh Glenda!! You are SO normal!!! You sound like the posterchild for peri. Can you imagine the poor women who started this stuff (PLUS irregular periods) in their late 30's and early 40's? I was actually 41 or 42 when my periods completely stopped. I suffered with severe hotflashes for about 5 years after that, plus depression, confusion and never had one person mention menopause to me. I'm almost 61 now and know a little more about it all. :)

I've mentioned to women here many times, try to do what you can to ease your worst symptom and expect them to change, maybe every few months, and then you have to accomodate other symptoms. It gets very frustrating!! That's why we're here to get you through it by sharing our experiences and remedies.

The overheating you describe would qualify as hotflashes. It also sounds like nightsweats.

If you put each of the issues into the search feature at the top of the page, you will find conversations about each one, sometimes there's advice from Dr. Judy too. Let us know if you can't find something and we'll go from there. :)

Btw....I have 6 grandchildren too! :) Maybe you can share some pictures in that section of the forum!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby mi4angels » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:15 am

Normal? Image Yea, I think so. :lol:

Glenda, your avatar cracks.me.up!! :mrgreen:
Suzanne

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says... "Oh shit...she's awake!!"
mi4angels
Combustible

Postby groovygrandma » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:54 pm

Thanks for confirming that I am normal - I was beginning to worry that I was losing my mind!

Dee, I still haven't discovered all the things on the forum, but when I find the pictures section I will share some pics of my grandies.

Suzanne, the avatar suits me really well, because my other nickname is 'dragon lady' lol.
Glenda

groovygrandma
Warm Pauzer

Postby gorgeousfluffpot » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:10 am

Oh Glenda, what you wrote is so, so normal and I echo every word of it!!! Strange aches, tingling head, scratchyscratchy skin all over (and also scratchy skin DOWN THERE!!! You can't scratch that in public!!). Getting anxious about nothing in particular, getting mildly irritated at dear Mr.GorgeousFluffpot telling an anecdote that I have heard many many times but, for some reason, this particular time is REALLY ANNOYING ME!!!! Poor man, I have some grumpy moments and he has the patience of a saint .... just disappears off into the garden and out of sight while I wonder if it was really fair to vent some of my hormone-driven steam off at him!! Strange lightheaded feelings, lots of daydreaming or just being 'out of it'. Bone aches in odd places, .....
your body is rebelling and will give you a good old run for its money for some years. I haven't had a period since April last year (waaa-haaay, coming up to the milestone year mark!) and while I'm glad to be rid of the bleeding, a whole load of other stuff has come crashing instead!
So hang in there, Glenda. You're perfectly normal and you're in good company here!
Take cover! Hormones on the rampage again ...
gorgeousfluffpot
One HOT Woman!

Postby groovygrandma » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:30 am

Ok, I know I'm a late starter, but it seems that everything wants to catch up with me at once now! Where do I start...

Apart from everything else, the memory is just getting worse and worse - scary in fact - to the stage where I am being told that I have done things that I just don't remember doing. For example, we went out to dinner last saturday night and the next day a friend said "I still can't believe that you ran into the door last night". Ummmm, what door??? I can't remember it!! Is it possible to actually hurt yourself and not remember it?

And the emotional rollercoaster has also begun. I am getting very anxious at times and also getting very frustrated with my hubby. After 36 years, some of the 'normal' things he does are just so irritating to me that I just have to bite my tongue!

As well as that, the skin crawling and tingling in the hands is also happening.

It's all driving me crazy and it's only just begun... and to think I have possibly years of this to come! :banghead:
Glenda

groovygrandma
Warm Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:58 am

Glenda (the GOOD witch....LOL), this is when WRITING will help you more than anything. Make notes about everything (good old postit notes), use a calendar to schedule things and write down appts, b'days, etc. and last but not least.....journal, every day for your own sanity. Most of the time you will find that the down side doesn't last 100% of the time so you can give yourself credit for the times you're doing "ok" instead of putting yourself down because you feel you've been a not so good witch all the time.

You can make your own journal here on the forum, or get a paper and pen and start journeling. It changes things when you write them down. :)

Good luck and keep us informed on how you're doing.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby groovygrandma » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:11 pm

Thanks Dee! I have started using a diary now for the days when the bad witch takes over and I can't remember where I am supposed to be lol.

And I think I will start using the journal here, and hopefully that will help too.

Hugs
Glenda (the good witch atm...lol)
Glenda

groovygrandma
Warm Pauzer

Postby danmia » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:48 am

Hello Glenda

Just to say for the best best help, better than doctors, is this message board. I have been coming here for years now it seems, yes sorry it does last years, and I have had some pretty bad low times and these people just pull me through and reassure me and just make you feel sane again and make you smile a lot of times. It is scary it can be debilitating but at the end you will have days when you almost feel human again, I still have loads of niggly symptoms but I can honestly say it DOES get better, the time between each one gets longer every year.....sigh.....do journal do write yourself notes, I know the memory loss can be really worrying.......and when you have a weird symptom you can bet your life someone on here will know EXACTLY what you are talking about and make it feel that much better just by reading.....feel free to read my journal entries some are pretty low, but I'm just about to enter a more positive one.......:) take care
danmia
One HOT Woman!

Postby gorgeousfluffpot » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:03 am

well I echo everything Danmia says - clever girl!!! This message board is really my first port of call to check that I'm normal, not going bonkers and generally to keep my sanity!!! Every women here has REAL experience about perimenopause, what really happens. My doctor didn't - she's a lovely (young) lady who handed me a leaflet which told me, in clinical facts, what to expect: hot flashes, diminishing periods, some emotional problems. It didn't mention the itchy skin, the 3am anxieties and dread, the strange bone aches, the sleeplessless, the sudden lack of self-confidence and indecisiveness, ... oh I could go on and on. And it didn't mention that "diminishing periods" actually means constant flooding and heavy periods followed by weeks of spotting and then nothing, then Niagara Falls again. I had to come on this site to check that what was happening to me was NORMAL - that is, that other real women in the world experienced these symptoms as a normal experience of menopause. So I am very grateful to all the ladies out there who kept me sane, kept me focused, gave me support and encouragement, told me I was normal, told me how they got through it and laughed and cried with me along the way. Ladies, you are all saints (except of course for Dee who is God !).
Take cover! Hormones on the rampage again ...
gorgeousfluffpot
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:00 am

((((Big Hug to all of YOU!)))) I'm no Goddess, just another REAL woman who was given the idea of Minnie Pauz® BY God. I swear that's the only place it could have come from because:

1. I was in a very depressed and low part of my life....I had broken my ankle and couldn't go back to work for a year so I was dropped from the company. No insurance and no income.

2. I had never drawn a cartoon before in my life!!

3. I had never used a computer before.

4. I was 46 and menopause was not on my radar.

So you tell me....how in the world did I come up with an idea for a menopausal cartoon character and create a website that was the first of its kind?
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby danmia » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:03 am

Cos you are special and thank God you did everything you did...........saved my life that's for sure........even though right now I'm in the depths of depression and emotional crap I know I can come here and you will still make me smile..........:)
danmia
One HOT Woman!

Postby groovygrandma » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:12 am

Thanks heaps for all your replies, I have found so much help here, and for that I am very grateful. So many things that can and do happen that are not mentioned anywhere else, and it's a great relief to know that these symptoms are 'normal'.

I have been having a couple of great days, and I popped in to say just that. Instead of just coming in to find out that yet another problem is normal and someone else has experienced it, I thought I would let everyone know that I have had 2 very good days! Now I know it's not going to last, but I am grateful for small mercies!
Glenda

groovygrandma
Warm Pauzer

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause