Test your thyroid

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Test your thyroid

Postby saracat » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:43 am

Current medical guidelines state that we should test our thyroid function every 5 years. Mine was tested at 51. My doctor realized that it had never been checked. I encourage everyone to get tested.

I think I've been having problems for the past 5 years :yuck: When I think of the time I spent suffering and trying to cope with depression I just want to cry. I was feeling apathetic and feeling like I wasn't resilient. Like if one more problem came up I couldn't cope with it. That wasn't normal, but I never realized anything physical was wrong. I thought I was just lazy. Increasing the antidepressant didn't help.

Things are better on the thyroid medicine and it's a blessing.

I think every woman in their 40's should demand a thyroid test. Maybe then the insurance companies would consider it a routine expense and cover it 100%.

Sue
saracat
Warm Pauzer

Re: Test your thyroid

Postby minniepauz » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:09 am

I'm so happy you're feeling better, Sue!! We just can't rely only on doctors these days. We have to take charge! Thanks so much for your post!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby jellybabe » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:12 pm

saracat wrote:Current medical guidelines state that we should test our thyroid function every 5 years. Mine was tested at 51. My doctor realized that it had never been checked. I encourage everyone to get tested.

I think I've been having problems for the past 5 years :yuck: When I think of the time I spent suffering and trying to cope with depression I just want to cry. I was feeling apathetic and feeling like I wasn't resilient. Like if one more problem came up I couldn't cope with it. That wasn't normal, but I never realized anything physical was wrong. I thought I was just lazy. Increasing the antidepressant didn't help.

Things are better on the thyroid medicine and it's a blessing.

I think every woman in their 40's should demand a thyroid test. Maybe then the insurance companies would consider it a routine expense and cover it 100%.

I was diagnosed in 05 as being hypothyroid, but I thought my symptoms were the menopause so didnt get it checked out. I too was very depressed. My thyroid levels are fine but just lately I am feeling menopausal, tired, forgetful, moody and the hot flushes. I agree that all women over 40 should be tested as the symptoms are so similar but the consequences of having an untreated underactive thyroid are far greater.
Jellybabe
jellybabe

Postby minniepauz » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:20 pm

Thanks for your post, Jellybabe. Glad you're feeling better. Another problem I've found (and just posted it on my blog-see link below) is iron overload. This also has symptoms that mimic menopause and thyroid problems. After I read the article I checked my "women's formula multi-vitamins" and there it is...iron that I don't need.

Hope all of you will read and comment on my blog about this, especially if you've had any experience with this issue.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause