One Year Anniversary

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

One Year Anniversary

Postby gorgeousfluffpot » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:28 am

Happy Anniversary to me! Exactly one year ago was the last time I had any kind of spotting or bleeding - especially momentous considering that I had about five years of topsy-turving flooding, light spotting, constant bleeding, nothing for months and then the mother of all periods. So I can assume all this is over and that I am now clear, fingers crossed.

The night sweats are still there, very odd. I get very very hot and throw off the covers, but my skin is cold but INSIDE is hot. Does that make sense, probably not. I'm battling weight gain and am trying to avoid growing from a polite 'stout' to an less attractive 'dumpy' ... what's it that they say: a moment on the lips and a lifetime on the hips. Heck, I only have to look at food and it clads itself on my bum.

The indecision and anxiety has been the worst ... I have my confident GorgeousFluffpot days and all is well with the world and then I find myself in a dither about making a simple decision. Whether it's changing the bed linen or selecting items for dinner, I will dither and weigh up all the pros and cons and wonder what people will think while, inside, I know I am being daft. 3am fears and dreads ... oh that is the awful stuff. Waking up and looking at Mr. Gorgeous and thinking "one day I'll be in this bed alone because you'll be gone from me forever" and feeling that impending tragedy and I cannot get it out of my head. I know I'm not alone, my sister recently confided the same feelings of worry and fear so either it's a genetic thing or hormonal. But it is horrible and I hate to start the day after a night like that. But then, just as quickly, it passes and I am GorgeousFluffpot skipping down the road with a smile on my face and not a care in the world.

My skin itches. My joints ache. Nooooo, I REFUSE to get old. I am only 51, for crissake, only a kid in my head, still 18, though when I look in the mirror and this jowly woman looks back at me, I think that's not me. I cannot believe I am 51, I'm probably still in a state of shock after passing 40 all those years ago.

Ooooh reminds me, let me tell you a story to lighten this a little. Dear Mr. Gorgeous threw me a surprise 40th birthday party all those years ago. I went out and returned to find the house full of guests, banners, balloons, cards and presents. Family and friends, plus my parents who were, I confess, looking a little puzzled. Everyone sang Happy Birthday, 40 candles on the cake ... what a wonderful wonderful evening. Except that I wasn't 40. I had just turned 39. I didn't say a word, not a thing, why spoil the surprise? Although I did find my mother in the kitchen counting off the years on her fingers saying "I'm SURE she was born in 1958 ..."

Well I shall sign off now. Happy Anniversary to me. The future looms bright and clear and my handbag has credit cards, lipstick and keys ... and no more Kotex. Yahoo!
Take cover! Hormones on the rampage again ...
gorgeousfluffpot
One HOT Woman!

Re: One Year Anniversary

Postby minniepauz » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:32 am

Yeah!!! You're over the fence!! :) But, not out of the woods yet! Just fair warning that post menopause does not mean no symptoms, afterall....things have CHANGED. And they will keep changing, so even though you should thoroughly enjoy the periods being gone, just continue to do what you have to to keep your energy and your spirits up! We must remember that we ARE getting older so we're never going to go back to being youthful. I honestly feel like accepting the reality is the first step to aging healthy!

I've got more to say, but have to go get my granddaughter (11) off to school.... :) Your posts are so helpful Gorgeous and I'm so glad you're still hanging around to help the newcomers! :) and us oldies too! I'll be 61 this month so there!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby danmia » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:47 am

Happy Happy Anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy enjoy enjoy, I haven't been brave enough to throw the Kotex away, the way my stupid symptoms have been coming back lately kind of think that might be tempting fate.....but I know we will get through this maybe never ever symptom free but at least a lot better than at first.......i still have horrible horrible anxiety and panic attacks, those are in my nature and only needed this to raise their ugly heads....my skin just itches non stop at night.........my stomach hates my anxiety and protests accordingly........I could cry over the most stupid things if I could remember what they were..........just generally down........aches and pains, all this stuff, I hate getting old.....I want this to go away now please I'm done......anyway enough of my moaning have a great day :) and congrats again....
danmia
One HOT Woman!

Postby searcher » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:39 am

I wouldn't get too comfy, I went 17 months and then had a week long period. Its been over a year now and no more, but I still have a supply of kotex just in case. I know some of the younger members of the family may need them so I keep them just in case. I live in fear that it might catch me off guard again! I hope its over for good this time.

I have a doctor who thinks I should take anti depressants for my memory loss and loss of libido. I refuse to take them and he gets upset with me. I told him I am not really sick!

I too was afraid I was losing my mind. (and DH still thinks I am) He is so clueless! He has no idea what menopause involves so he thinks I need to be on medication for being insane. It's bad enough going through this, but then to not have any support and have to defend yourself and your crazy actions too-it is very draining.

For example;
I woke up to find the gallon of milk in the microwave one morning. I lost my car in the parking lot a couple of weeks ago. I write myself notes and then forget to read them. I forget to feed the animals or I feed them twice. I forget to cook dinner until it is too late and wonder why I am so hungry. or DH comes to me and asks if we are going to eat tonight. Then I realize I didn't make anything to eat! By this time its going to be popcorn or cereal or something else quick. One morning this was back a few years ago, at the beginning, I was standing in the shower and had the water turned on, I could not figure out how to get the shower on. I studied it for a couple of minutes and then called DH in to ask how to turn on the shower! When he pulled up the little knob I said Duhhh! We still laugh about that one!

I wonder if it gets any better at all or am I going to be an idiot until I die now? What is the purpose of making older women so daft? What purpose does it serve in the big scheme of things?

On the lighter side, I love to come here and just read. The stories from others who are experiencing the same thing, the cartoons, I swear that lady is me! overweight and red haired! And I don't feel so alone when I'm here, I know I am normal.
Keep up the good laughs ladies!
Sharon
searcher

Postby minniepauz » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:13 am

Welcome Sharon! Thanks for contributing to the forum! You have a wonderful sense of humor. :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby danmia » Fri May 08, 2009 10:08 am

Well now what has this got to do with menopause very little you think? Funnily enough I play WOW but this is obviously an ad that's sneaked in by someone.........never mind......and if you pay for gold on WOW you are very sad.......it's a game go earn it like everyone else!!!!
danmia
One HOT Woman!

Postby gracious granny » Tue May 12, 2009 8:53 pm

Congragulations Gorgeous!!! But I do have to agree with Searcher. I went 16 months, then I lost my younger sister suddenly, 2 weeks after her death I had a week long period. It was pretty typical to what they had been the last 2-3 years. This was Sept. 08. Nothing the next month (thought it was a fluke.) Then in November I started to bleed bad and it lasted for 3 weeks. I saw the Gyno. and everything checked out okay. Now I am on a very low dose of HRT. I still cannot believe I made it through menopause at 48 and my husband is still alive. :biggrin:
I hope (fingers crossed) that you are truly finished, just be prepared for anything :? G.G.
" Lifes a dance you learn as you go"..............
gracious granny
Combustible

Postby ladydebubba » Sat May 30, 2009 7:55 am

I'll be glad when I reach the one year spot. It has been 6 months for me. I had a gyn appointment yesterday and she definitely said I am menopausal. I am 49. She gave me a sample box of HRT and a prescription. Knowing the risks of taking this my mom and husband both think it is too risky due to breast cancer risk. However, I've been suffering miserably with hot flashes, yet my hands stay cold quite often, but my upper body inside feels on fire all the time. I've had hot flashes for probably 4 years now at least, maybe 5, but for the most part they were mild, and were not coming regularly like they are now, the funny thing about them though is the fact I had chills on my arms when they occurred. So really, I stopped my period you could say at 48, one month before my 49th birthday. Thank goodness as I have had periods since age 11. I'm wondering if I should give the HRT a try or go with the herbal options like Estroven which I have some of? I would appreciate anyone's input.
Lisa DOB:1960
Peri,
fibroids,
low grade cervical dysplasia (cryotherapy done Dec. 21st) (cured as of June 27th, 2009)
ladydebubba
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Sat May 30, 2009 8:31 am

ladydebubba wrote:I'll be glad when I reach the one year spot. It has been 6 months for me. I had a gyn appointment yesterday and she definitely said I am menopausal. I am 49. She gave me a sample box of HRT and a prescription. Knowing the risks of taking this my mom and husband both think it is too risky due to breast cancer risk. However, I've been suffering miserably with hot flashes, yet my hands stay cold quite often, but my upper body inside feels on fire all the time. I've had hot flashes for probably 4 years now at least, maybe 5, but for the most part they were mild, and were not coming regularly like they are now, the funny thing about them though is the fact I had chills on my arms when they occurred. So really, I stopped my period you could say at 48, one month before my 49th birthday. Thank goodness as I have had periods since age 11. I'm wondering if I should give the HRT a try or go with the herbal options like Estroven which I have some of? I would appreciate anyone's input.

I've heard some good things about Estroven, but who knows since we're all so different. It might help with the hot flashes. I had them really bad, but back then there wasn't anything like Estroven. :)

When you say "too risky due to breast cancer" are you talking about family history or just hrt in general? From what I gather (and what Dr. Judy has been saying all along) is that the highest risk is for post menopausal women, but you know what? I think you should post this under Dr. Judy and I'll let her explain more to you. :) My periods stopped at 41 so I've enjoyed not having them for 20 years now!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby ladydebubba » Sat May 30, 2009 8:40 am

Hey Minniepauz, I am talking about HRT in general, there is no known family history of breast cancer in my family. I am so happy to be not having periods but the hot flashes are awful. But I still keep a supply of Always around, I've had them probably for 6 months now from when I actually had to use them last so until I know for sure I am done I need to keep them I guess. Wow, you stopped at 41, that is young but I know that is not unusual from what I've read.
Lisa DOB:1960
Peri,
fibroids,
low grade cervical dysplasia (cryotherapy done Dec. 21st) (cured as of June 27th, 2009)
ladydebubba
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause