Night Sweats / with a Vengeance

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Night Sweats / with a Vengeance

Postby SLee » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:31 pm

Looking for advice. Tried to go to bed b/4 10PM last night. I couldn't stay awake sitting on the couch or in a chair. I was exhausted. I finally gave up. I don't know what's worse; the insomnia or the sweats. I LONG for my bed. Nearly the INSTANT I ly down, I start sweating, and it NEVER goes away. No matter if I'm hot or cold - inside or out. We keep a floor fan on both sides of our bed - on high. I don't sleep naked, but I do wear short, cotton, light/weight PJs. I don't get how I can just have 'hot-flashes' during the day and sweat like a pig during the night. I have 400 thread-count sheets on the bed and the mattress is new and the comforter is paper-thin. Why am I sweating like this EVERY night and can anything be done? Last night I went to bed b/4 10PM cause I could not keep my eyes open, and I NEVER slept again. I finally gave-up completely at nearly 2 PM and turned the TV on in the living room. If I do dose in and out, I have little mini-dreams and they are always about people or scenarios I despise. I thought I had this under control with Bio-IH, and it has all gone to pieces. Thoughts?
SLee
Hot Pauzer

Re: Night Sweats / with a Vengeance

Postby gorgeousfluffpot » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:58 am

Unless you get some medication from the doctor which might control this then I'm afraid night sweats are pretty par for the course with a lot of us. Mine come with a vengeance, suddenly and intensely, and I have a double problem. Mr. Gorgeous is a cold mortal, shivering and saying "ooooh it's a bit parky isn't it" when everyone else is in T-shirts and shorts. He also gets hayfever, and this is high pollen count season so our bedroom windows are CLOSED. Yes, closed. And it was 91degrees here yesterday during the day so you can imagine what the night is like! So the windows are closed to keep out th pollen and Mr. Gorgeous likes to have his duvet AND a blanket on as he snores happily away. I, meanwhile, lie in this furnace and throw off the duvet and blanket and long for a current of cool air to refresh me. Guess I may have to move into the spare room during the pollen season and throw open the windows.
Some tips: no alcohol - that brings me out in a sweat. Drink plenty of water, it keeps the thermostat down. Only natural fabrics or preferably nothing. Oh, and buy a fan, one of those exotic Spanish fans that you see the Mediterranean ladies brushing against their face. They work, are very very pretty and don't make a noise!Keep a damp flannel by the bed and when you get a sweat dab the back of your neck ... for some reason it cools down the rest of the body.
Re. nodding off, yes I'm tending to do that as well in the evening. I used to make fun of my mum when she used to slump in the chair and her eyes would start to close, her mouth would fall open and the snoring would start. Just teasing, mind, nothing nasty. And now I am doing the same! Eeeek!.
Take cover! Hormones on the rampage again ...
gorgeousfluffpot
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:29 pm

As Gorgeous implied, there's no one solution for nightsweats and it sometimes takes a lot of experimenting to find anything that will give some relief. I have slept with a fan on me for the past 25 years....winter or summer. Some people have said that primrose oil helped, but I've never tried it so I can't say (that's the experimenting part I mentioned).

If you're not comfortable sleeping nude because of the cold wetness after the wet heat you feel, there are a couple of "helpers" that I would suggest.
1. Try the wicking sleepwear (like www.haralee.com) She also has sheets and pillowcases made of the wicking material. This stuff is expensive but sometimes that's the least concern.

2. I'm bringing on a new sponsor and I LOVE their product...it's called Outlast Sleep System. I have the mattress cover and the pillow covers and you know how I said I ALWAYS have to have a fan on? For the first time I slept without the fan! I couldn't believe it.... not like sleeping on a nice block of ice, but I didn't have to flip my pillow to find the cool side and the rest of my body was comfortable all night (even under a comforter)! Again, it's expensive but may be worth a look.

I got really excited to show this to my members when I read this: "there are other products in the market claiming better comfort through moisture management but Outlast® technology is different. Outlast® technology actively buffers temperature swings to prevent sweating. The other products are reactive in the sense that the user must sweat and become uncomfortable prior to receiving any benefit. For example: women experiencing night sweats will receive better benefits with Outlast® technology than with wicking products because it prevents sweating versus trying to make you comfortable while sweating."

Here's a linke http://store.nexternal.com/shared/Store ... oducts.asp
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby kar4242 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:56 pm

I've had hot flashes and night sweats for 2 years now. It's pretty much the same all day long...I get so clammy and wet from head to toe. And forget it if it's humid....yuck. I sweat doing housework, walking my dog....basically on and off all day and night. It's truly gross at this point and I'm 2 years with no period. I used to get hot flashes a few times an hour, but now they're on and off during the day with sweat, not dripping sweat but I get beads of it all over. When does this all freaking end.

Hugs,
Karen
kar4242
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:01 pm

Karen, do you think the things I mentioned above would be worth it to you? As I said, there's no ONE thing that will help, but with a combination of things, you should get SOME relief!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby psexypsychic » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:45 pm

The only thing close to relief I get is having a fan blowing on me (usually my head/upper body) all night long. I still get night sweats, but they don't wake me up EVERY time like they used to.

*~my MySpace~*

diagnosed perimeno at 36 years old
psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:00 pm

I'm testing out a new kind of material/technology that has been the only thing I can say really works for me. It's a mattress pad and pillow covers (not cases) that actually helps regulate your body temperature. As soon as we work out what the Minnie Pauz discount will be for my members/subscribers I'll be promoting it here and in the newsletter and website.

It's called the Outlast Sleep System and although it's not like sleeping on ice (which would be my preference) I've been much more comfortable at night...don't throw the covers off and even slept without my fan for several nights. :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby SLee » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:57 am

Me again :) I just got an email from an online club I belone to, The Hanyman Club (I didn't marry one so I had to find a support group) and...ANYWAY...they send out new product information and todays product was 'Frogg Toggs Chilly Pad'. Here is the claim:

"Not to be confused with a crying towel (you probably have a few of those), this is a cooling towel that has some pretty cool technology behind it.

We will attest to the fact that the Frogg Toggs Chilly Pad helps you chill during a hot afternoon of framing, roofing, laying sod, pouring concrete, (it doesn't mention 'sweating your ba!!s off' during a hot flash). It's machine washable and made from a new hyper-evaporative material that retains water while remaining dry to the touch.

Better repeat that: a towel that holds water but feels dry. Draped around the back of your neck, it sucks up sweat but doesn't make you feel clammy. When wet, the towel becomes cooler than the air, providing welcomed relief from the summer sizzle.

When it stops cooling (between 1-4 hours, depending on conditions), re-wet the towel in hot or cold water and wring it out. Within minutes, it's cool again — and so are you."

Minnie - want to check it out? I'm not selling or promoting. I guess I was wondering if I could take it to bed with me? Also, any word on the cooling blanket, pillow, mattress pad company? I looked at the website and am tempted to pay full price. I AM MISERABLE! Thanks - Sara
SLee
Hot Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:28 pm

It definitely looks like it could have some benefits in some situations...I'm not sure how wet it would be to wear it to bed. :) You might want to check the Chillow Pillow for that.

Did you get the newsletter? Outlast has offered a 10% discount here:
http://www.drinights.com/store/merchant ... echBedding

But they've put together a better deal here:
http://store.nexternal.com/shared/Store ... lemSolvers

They have to do different deals because some of their vendors would be upset if they didn't. It's complicated. :) I'm still loving mine. As I've said about everything, there's no one solution, but this helps me with what I call "night heat".

I guess it's our fate to keep trying different things until something works....but that doesn't mean all the problems are solved....menopause seems like a slow moving lava field, always changing until finally it's burned out. :)

Oh....be sure to use those coupon codes!! :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Karen Lewis » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:44 am

SLee,

If you don't mind trying something completely different as an approach, I've just posted an EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques) Tapping Script for Night Sweats under the Menopause and EFT thread here.

You might need to repeat the sessions a few times (it only takes about 5 minutes to run through at a time) but it can bring about some relief. Or if you are feeling really exasperated with it all as you lie awake you can just tap along all the points, as you will be well tuned in to the issue, without needing the script. It helps me when I get the occasional hot flush come along - usually knocks it on the head pronto.

Hope this helps.
Bright Blessings,

Karen

http://www.EFT-Reiki.com
http://www.EFT-not-HRT.com "Menopause - Hormonal Balance With EFT" eBook
http://eftreikiandallkindsofeverything.blogspot.com/ Visit my Blog
Karen Lewis
Hot Pauzer

Postby SLee » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:59 am

Dee and all - thanks for all the adivce and information. Dee - what coupon codes are you referencing? Did you order the complete set? I am so bothered by lying on a pillow. The hair at the nape of my neck just drenches it. I have a somewhat large ice pack for my back and have pulled this out of the freezer the last 3 nights. It felt like it was pulling a fever out of my torso (in a very shocking and painful sort-of-a-way) so I know this bedding will help me if you say it does what it claims to do. Once I get my core temperature down a bit - I realize how much the insomnia is playing a role in this as well. I broke down in tears yesterday in front of the whole fam-damily. My husband surpised me (hate surprises and it's not in his nature) with a road-trip from WI to CO the 1st week in September for our anniversary. He's been there on business and wants to take me to Red Rock for a concert and to stay in a bed/breakfast and sight-see. It was a lovely gesture, but everyone is angry that MOM is not jumping for joy over Dads effort to bring me out of my Menopause funk. We went out for brunch yesterday with the 3 grown kids and as soon as I started eating my furnace kicked-in with the beet-red face and the sweat running into my eyes and my kids jaws drop and my husband said 'WOW'! and I said - 'If this doesn't subside in the very near future - I will be cancelling Colorado' - and more jaws dropped. I tried to explain that between the night sweats, the hot flashes, the fatigue from the insomnia, the possibilty of a flooding or unscheduled or prolonged period that could have me stopping at every wayside along the road...well...all-you-all get it, but the family looked at me like I had just cancelled Christmans. Who knows - that may be next!!!
SLee
Hot Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:03 pm

Bless your heart, you seem to be getting the worst of experiences getting through this! There's just no way to make the family understand other than begging for their patience and trying to educate them on what is actually happening.

on the first link with the 10% discount, the code is "outlast"
http://www.drinights.com/store/merchant ... echBedding

the second one is MP25INSS
http://store.nexternal.com/shared/Store ... lemSolvers

I only have the pillow covers and the mattress cover. I didn't realize they have pillows too. I want to remind you that this is not going to be a complete solution to your problem, but as I said before, it helps....I really like mine and combined with a small fan and some lightweight cotton sleepwear (and even your ice thingy or a glass of icewater nearby) could help you manage to get a good night's sleep!! Good luck with it!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Night Sweats with a Vengeance / Update

Postby SLee » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:17 am

Dee and all,

I'm sorry your are down and out. You are in my thoughts. You give so much of yourself and I'm feeling a little selfish this morning because I tend to come to the site when I have troubles and not so much with anything upbeat, so here goes something upbeat, and a big thanks for your help in making this happen. My hot flashes and night sweats were out of control. I cancelled our vacation in early September because of it, which was yet another Peri-M knife in our marriage.
You told me about the Outlast Bedding. It KILLED me to think of ordering bedding that expensive. I'm a Walmart clearance rack kind-of-a-gal! I finally broke down and went to the website. I was very skeptical. They don't guarantee anything. I have a king size bed so needed the most expensive product. I decided 'in for a penny - in for a pound', and ordered the whole set. I don't know how it works, but it works!!! As soon as this bedding senses that I am heating up, it starts sucking the heat out of me. I still wake up during the night, maybe because I'm getting ready to over-heat, but probably because of the insomnia and sleep disruption that the Menopause Gods provide. That's a whole other topic :)) I don't have to get up and stand in front of a 5 FT floor fan naked while drying my hair and finding fresh jammies. It really hasn't been a problem since the day they arrived. Thanks for telling me about this amazing product. The price gagged me, but it has already paid for itself. My husband LOVES it. He let me have both pillows at 1st, but has taken one over and is encouraging me to order another for myself to hug. The blanket is paper-thin and it's all we have on our bed right now - THAT'S HOW GOOD IT IS! It keeps hubby just as warm as it keeps me cool. Our son with Down Syndrome goes and lays in my bed all the time and when our other two kids come home on the weekends for laundry and home cookin', they have to take a nap in "Mom's space-age bed". Thanks again for everyone who took the time to advise me!

SIDE NOTES:
1. When deciding whether or not to order the bedding, I called the company with some questions. At the end of our call, the customer service rep gave me a 'Coupon Code' to enter during check-out for 20% off my order. It was either 20PHONE or PHONE20 - but it was definitely one of those.

2. The bedding launders beautifully and does not take away from it's healing properties. I was very disappointed that it only came in white, but so far-so good. I keep a dark colored sheet over the mattress pad, but no longer use a top sheet as the blanket is so soothing. The pillows come with zippered covers.

3. My youngest son, who is a grown man, frost-bit his feet while in college. He dreads winter in WI. I went to back to the Outlast website to see what else they sold and found socks, among other things. They were $20/pair on the Outlast website. I searched and found a store that was closing and got them for $9/pair. Again, I would not normally pay $1/pair for socks, but I am SOLD on this product. It's going to be an early X-mas gift for my son. If anyone wants the stores name, I can elaborate.

4. In conjunction with this bedding, I stopped using any product with Phytoestrogen or Soy in it. I just can't seem to tolerate it which must mean I'm Estrogen dominant. I have gotten much more disciplined about using my natural Progesterone cream 2 X's per day. I'm sure these changes have all contributed to the lessening of the day/night flashes, but it didn't happen overnight, and the bedding worked the 1st night.

I'm rambling!!! I hope this helps someone. Feel better, Dee, and thanks for all your time...Sara
SLee
Hot Pauzer

Postby minniepauz » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:29 pm

Thanks so much for letting me know! Your post made me feel better! :) I'm going to copy it to the person I talk to at Outlast and I'm sure they'll want to use your testimonial. :) I had the same results you did and I told everyone but I was still cautious because I didn't know if it would be the same for everyone. :)

It's funny, but now that it's cold out (here in Michigan) and I have the heat on, when I climb into bed it's actually cold for just a few minutes. I find that very refreshing and then it just evens out and I'm comfortable all night. :) I agree they have a fantastic technique!

Interesting that you got a 20% discount....did they know you had found them through Minnie Pauz? The reason I'm asking is, if my readers can get a better discount than what they're offering in my newsletter, I'll send them THAT direction!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby SLee » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:52 pm

Here is why, I believe, I got the discount. I called Outlast,Technology, because on their website, which I only went to-to investigate the product before ordering, I noticed that their king size bedding was priced much less than the twin or full and I was completely confused. At 1st I thought 'hm mmm...maybe not many people have king beds any more...so the price is being driven down'. I would have been better off to 'don't-ask-don't tell' - hind sight being 20/20. The complete king set was listed at $175, which was WAY less than any other set. I couldn't understand what was going on. I called and asked. I got put on hold and passed along to a manager. She thanked me for pointing out the 'pricing error' on their website and gave me the coupon code as a THANK-YOU. After I realized what I had done for them, I would have thought she'd given me the set for free, as I'm sure if I'd ordered with no questions asked, I would have gotten the set for $175. In the end and with the coupon code, I got my set for a little over $300. Beggers can't be choosers. I pointed out the error. I did the honest thing. That's how they compensated me. I would still pay full price now that I've experienced the bedding. Thanks for your kind and quick response, Dee. Hope you sleep well and feel better soon ! Sara-
SLee
Hot Pauzer

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause