I'm on Chantix...

Are you a smoker? Do you want to quit, but need support and encouragement from others who have quit or are trying to?

Moderators: psexypsychic, colopam

Postby Zon » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:20 pm

Thanks to ALL of you!

Seventeen at Heart:
I was thinking how I might like to be a little girl again...no responsibilities.

You don't know of the times I reminisce over my childhood! But I wouldn't want to relive my whole life over again either! I can remember some of my biggest worries as a child was...what I'd ask Santa for, for Christmas or something as simple as...what's mom gonna have fixed for supper tonight? {Not wanting liver to be put on my plate!} LOL :yuck:

Minniepauz:
Sometimes things just start piling up and we just can't see past the misery we feel, but usually it's only a bump in the road and things will improve in a short time.

You're right (again) Dee! The "Piles" usually do end up only being "bumps". But this one feels like a mountain I've had to face repeatedly! (Long story).

Chels:
(Oh. my husband is now officially back to smoking full time.)

Since I was scared to take anymore Chantix (and was unusually snappy and hateful), I've also jumped on and off the ban-wagon the last couple of days! :sad3: Making me feel like even more of a failure than ever! I'm not back to smoking full time...but even one is not good!

I WILL GET THROUGH THIS! I'm a determined fighter. I've had battles to fight in life before. And I know I can count on God to get me through this one! Even if it does feel more like a war!

I'm VERY thankful for friends like all of you, :hug2: that I feel I can vent to. I'm upset with myself most for being so angry at her!!!
Why at the age of 73 would she consider such an act! :cuss:
The world will never care how much you know,
until; The world knows how much you care!
Zon
Combustible

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:54 pm

because she is scared Zon :(

age is no gurantee of maturity, or having it 'all together,' I guess.
Born 1959
Hashimoto's hypothyroid finally diagnosed 1991 when 30, (after first child).
In pre-menopause. Trying natural progesterone cream.
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby chelsea6 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:30 am

Zon wrote:

Why at the age of 73 would she consider such an act! :cuss:

Since your mom has dimentia, I'm thinking perhaps she doesn't have the ability to cope with stress like she did before. Depression can easily snowball and become overwhelming once it gets a grip on a person. Can you identify any triggers that bring on these suicidal thoughts? :?: These may be hard to identify with dimentia. Does she have any needs that need addressing, or some strengths that could help sidestep the depression.. perhaps some activities she could still do?? (household chores, personal hygene, crafts??)

We're here for you sweetie. :wink: We'll get through this together!!! {{{{{ BIG HUG }}}}}}
chelsea6
On Fire!

Postby Zon » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:50 pm

Hi Girls!
:offtopic: (I don't know where to go to post anymore on this particular subject.) Since this is the Chantix thread, but...

She did attempt suicide yesterday! She caught my sister and her husband napping and felt it was a good opportunity to follow through, I guess. We're devastated! :disapprove:

She took a comforter from her bed and went to the kitchen and got a glass and a knife, and took it all outside to the back yard. She broke the glass so she could cut her wrists, which the cuts on the service of the skin are superficial. But when I talked to her, she said it's because she wasn't brave enough to follow through. She has been sent to a mental evaluation hospital for treatment.

Chels wrote:
Can you identify any triggers that bring on these suicidal thoughts?

For about 3 years now, she's said she doesn't want to live anymore. She's been in and out of hospitals and on several different meds. and even has regular monthly appointments with a therapist and a psychiatrist! She just gave up on life altogether! No one seems to be able to inspire her to do anything! :cry2:

Chels wrote:
Does she have any needs that need addressing, or some strengths that could help sidestep the depression.. perhaps some activities she could still do?? (household chores, personal hygene, crafts??)

We've exhausted all these suggestions, Chelsea! I'm at my wits end with it all! And this hospital stay don't give me any hope either! I just don't think that (in this area) they take mental health seriously enough! She's usually just given MORE drugs and sent home until another crisis occurs! :cry:

I started menstruating heavy yesterday! I've not had ANY bleeding for over a year now! My aunt says it's stress related but I'm thinking it may be the HRT's I've just started taking (a month ago,now.) :roll:

Thanks for all your concerns, and please keep us in your prayers. Our family is in turmoil! I'll try to check back in...in a day or two.
Zon
Combustible

Postby minniepauz » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:54 pm

Oh Zon....how awful for all of you! I hate it that she must be in such pain to go to that extent. I would like for you to post a message to Dr. Judy (in her thread) and explain the situation as much as possible. She also has a Mother who has Alzheimers and may have some feedback for you regarding what the doctors are saying and the meds they are giving (or not giving) her.

Thank you for keeping us updated and I pray you will take good care of yourself.....your family needs you to be healthy. This kind of stress is not good when it goes unchecked.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:07 am

really sorry to hear that Zon :(
I do pray that things will balance out and they can find the right help for her, meds or whatever....

you wrote your aunt advised you on the reason for your period starting - it's good you can talk to her, we all need someone motherly when we're supporting others....do you get on well with your aunt?
Born 1959
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby chelsea6 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:02 am

Zon wrote: She did attempt suicide yesterday! She's usually just given MORE drugs and sent home until another crisis occurs! :cry:

It sounds as if your mom needs to stay in a controlled environment especially since these suicidal thoughts and actions return once she leaves a clinical setting. (assuming the thoughts have left at all.)

You mentioned a hospital.. is this a mental health facility or a local hospital? Instead of being sent home with just drugs and a pat on the back, she may require long-term care for her own protection. Whatever you do, if at all possible.. don't let her be released until you can be assured she will not relapse.

You are going through so much right now... such a stressful time in your life!! :cry: Remember, we're here for you anytime you need to talk. :wink:

My prayers go out for you sweetie.
chelsea6
On Fire!

Postby Zon » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:24 pm

Thank you all for being SO supportive!
minniepauz:
I would like for you to post a message to Dr. Judy (in her thread) and explain the situation as much as possible.

I really wouldn't know where to start or if I could post it without it becoming to lengthy. (Maybe I'll get time to try tho.)

Seventeen_At_Heart:
we all need someone motherly when we're supporting others....do you get on well with your aunt?

You are so right! And this lady has always told people that I should've been born hers. LOL I look more like her than I do my mother. We also have more in common. (Tomboys as children and favorite foods etc.) She's always known she's my favorite aunt. And she's very supportive of me! But I've called my sister Mom#2 for years now. She's the one who has always come to me in a crisis and even quit her job to stay with me, when my son broke his neck. (She was hospitalized today with asthma and chest pains.)

chels:
You mentioned a hospital.. is this a mental health facility or a local hospital? Instead of being sent home with just drugs and a pat on the back, she may require long-term care for her own protection.

Yes it's a mental health facility that specializes in geriatrics. They have said after testing her, that they find her to be a 'very intelligent' lady! And are now suggesting a nursing home...because she seems to fair better in a clinical setting, just as you have said! We've NEVER wanted to admit her into a nursing home, because she's got family who is willing to care for her as long as necessary. But now we're discussing the possibility, if it's for her own good and safety. I don't know how this will all turn out, all I want is whatever is best for her health and well being.

I'm still flowing pretty heavy, so I'm off to find some chocolate and a heating pad! LOL Funny how chocolate seems to make everything much easier to deal with huh? :laugh2:

Thanks again girls, it's nice to have you all to talk to!
Zon
Combustible

Postby Seventeen_At_Heart » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:47 pm

sorry to hear about your sister, Zon...I do pray she will recover well.

I'm still flowing pretty heavy, so I'm off to find some chocolate and a heating pad! LOL Funny how chocolate seems to make everything much easier to deal with huh?
I've just finished a really bad one, so I might have more energy to type some more posts now....
my tooth isn't as sweet as it was...I'm on spicy foods and alchohol to cheer me up :D
just had tuna salad with chilli and garlic in (from a tin), which was quite nice.
Born 1959
Seventeen_At_Heart
One HOT Woman!

Postby chelsea6 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:01 am

Zon wrote: But now we're discussing the possibility, if it's for her own good and safety. I don't know how this will all turn out, all I want is whatever is best for her health and well being.

I'm still flowing pretty heavy, so I'm off to find some chocolate and a heating pad! LOL Funny how chocolate seems to make everything much easier to deal with huh? :laugh2:

Thanks again girls, it's nice to have you all to talk to!

Oh, sweetie... We LOVE talking to you!!! As far as your mom, it looks like everything will work out for the best. And that chocolate sounds like just the ticket. lol.. I'm flowing pretty heavy too, so I'm off to get a cup of cocoa right now!! :wink: :lol:
chelsea6
On Fire!

Postby minniepauz » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:23 pm

Hey Girls....if you can't get enough chocolate (stuffed in your mouth at one time!) then do what I do....I visit this page of my site: http://www.minniepauz.com/chocolate-gif ... women.html and then I click on all the ads and look at all the fantastic chocolate pictures!! It's unbelievable what it does for your mood! :)
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby Zon » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:18 pm

Thanks Dee!
I'd forgotten how much I LOVE chocolate-covered raisins until I read this one:

Chocolate-covered raisins, -cherries, -orange slices and -strawberries all count as fruit. Eat as many as you want. Fruits are an important part of the Food Pyramid.

And yeah Chels, the hot cocoa will go real good with those raisins! It's turned awfully cold here!

(Mom's doing some better...Sister still very serious. :sick: Thanks for caring!)
Zon
Combustible

Re: I'm on Chantix...

Postby stebru » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:08 am

I quit smoking on Chantix though I have tried to do cold turkey on two occasions, but of no use. I have smoked for around 5 yrs with pack a day. Thanks to chantix and the support my family provided me. It really helped me to get over my nicotine addiction and I don’t feel craving anymore. There is one thing which I would like to share and which helped me a lot initially, try having a glass of water when you feel craving the most. It a tough road but it's worth so best luck to all those who want to give up smoking.
stebru

Re: I'm on Chantix...

Postby minniepauz » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:45 pm

Here's the latest on Chantix....

FDA To Require Boxed Warnings on Serious Mental Health Risks for Chantix and Zyban

The FDA announced today that it will require manufacturers to place boxed warnings on the labels of varenicline (Chantix) and bupropion (Zyban) regarding the risk of serious mental health events, including changes in behavior, depressed mood, hostility, and suicidal thoughts.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/PublicHealt ... h/tb/14931
minniepauz
Site Admin

Quick Reply

Previous

Return to Can you quit?