New Member of the "Club"!

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

New Member of the "Club"!

Postby allhaka69 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:24 pm

Hi! My name is Kim and I am 39. I have been trying to convince my Doctor for the last couple years I was in "pre" menopause and she kept telling me I was "too young". I had a few FSH tests and they bounced around between about 6 and 17 or so over the last 3 years. The most recent (prior to this week) was 6.51. Heavy irregular periods led to a uterine ablation about 2 years ago. No bleeding since then so I haven't been able to track anything that way.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I start feeling pretty bad. Mind you, I have an auto-immune disease that has caused a lot of issues (it causes inflammation of my blood vessels). I think I am "flaring". Go to see my Doctor. This time I tell her it's pretty weird. Not like it normally is. I have headaches - significant headaches that ibuprofen isn't helping, I keep running these fevers intermittently through out the day. I am tired. More fatigued than I have ever been and I have this weird brain fog - kind of like what I am trying to pull from my brain is tangled up - I can see it, but I can't get it. I'm also spacey. I say "duh" a lot (yes, I'm an 80's girl). I'm SUPER cold when I'm not running my fevers. I finally get in to see my rheumatologist and tell her all this. She sets up a bunch of tests - I ask her if she would mind throwing the FSH on there since I really am curious about the peri-menopause thing - I'm fairly certain I haven't ovulated in quite a while (I've always been able to tell when i'm ovulating). She agrees and says she's going to throw a thyroid test on there too.

SO. The numbers come back and my FSH is 96.5 and my TSH is 5.68.

I'm going to assume that means I'm in menopause. OK, my Doctor was even a little weirded out by that number since it was so normal a year ago.

I have all these mixed emotions. I was done having babies long ago, so it's not that, I think I was a little upset maybe because for me it was kind of like my ovaries (youth??) getting up, flipping me off and slamming the door as they walked out.

Another part of me was a little relieved. My disease (auto-immune thing) is a weird one and it took a VERY long time and some nasty stuff to figure out what was going on there. I had to fight to get anyone to listen to me This seems cut and dried. I can take a pill for the thyroid and hopefully find some sisters to commiserate about the menopause stuff while trying out some natural solutions.

I guess that is why I am here. I am the first (by far) in my group of friends to be going through this (he**, my MOM is still going through it) and I'd love to hear about how it's going for everyone else.

I have a Doctors appointment a week from today to figure out how to deal with this all. I had a blood clot in my brain about 7 years ago from my disease and that makes me NOT a candidate for traditional hormone therapy. I'd prefer to do it as naturally as possible anyhow. HOWEVER these hot flashes are killing me.

Does a higher FSH number indicate the potential for more intense hot flashes??? There is a lady at work (she is 55-ish) that is having them and they seem so TAME compared to mine. I feel nauseous and like I might pass out. My head hurts and feels "weird". Intensely hot. It starts in the crook of my elbow and goes up AND down (to the backs of my knees) - they are clammy and gross feeling. For a while there I was having them 2-3 times an hour. They seem to have let up in both frequency and intensity, but I am still having MAJOR issues with them, especially at night and coupled with the fatigue (from what I am assuming is my thyroid??) I am going NUTS. I want to sleep so badly, but i'm up (only to the point of awareness that I need to throw the covers off and then cover back up) a billion times a night.....

Oh, I do want to note that I lost about half the volume of my hair about a year or so ago. I thought it was from the drug humira, (the Doc didn't think so) but now I am wondering if it was from all of "this".....

Sorry for the length of this. I'm excited to be here and talk to others. I have to go lay down right now as I really don't feel very well. I am SO looking forward to that appointment next week. I am ready to move on and feel good again!

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Kim
allhaka69

Re: New Member of the "Club"!

Postby allhaka69 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:28 pm

Oh yah. How could I forget? I have been reading others posts. One of the MAIN reasons I went in 6 months ago or so was that I was a RAGING LUNATIC. I have been SO mean to my husband. I mean I am aware of being mean, but I can't really control these things that fly out of my mouth. It's SO not me. My husband is the sweetest, kindest man EVER and I feel AWFUL..... :( This is another symptom I'd really like to have some help with....
allhaka69

Re: New Member of the "Club"!

Postby minniepauz » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:27 pm

Well, Kim, you've certainly got a plate full! I'm so glad that you have experience with "helping" your doctors figure out what's going on without giving up on you! That's what it takes these days. I see it like a huge firecracker went off right in the middle of women's health and nobody agrees, nobody wants to diagnose and nobody really KNOWS what's going on, so we pretty much have to do a lot of research for ourselves and like you did, "suggest" checking out this or that.....

I've gone through the same thing (because I didn't have insurance) about dx my psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. There are a lot of similarities in what we're dealing with and I just stopped taking Humira after 5 mo. and am starting on a natural supplement regimine that worked well for me last year.

Anyway....you will fit in well here! You ARE a little young, but certainly not totally out of the realm of possibilities! My periods completely stopped at age 41, so I MUST have been going through perimenopause for a couple of years! The problem was that was 20 years ago and there was NO information....certainly not the internet. :) Oh God, how did I get here? :)

You are on the right track, kiddo...and I can tell you have the right attitude to handle whatever comes your way! That is the spirit of Minnie Pauz!! Welcome to our world!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause