Intolerance to heat

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Intolerance to heat

Postby ladydebubba » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:18 pm

I know hot flashes are symptoms of menopause, even though I am on HRT, I still notice when I am outside for even no more than five minutes, I cannot tolerate the heat and humidity, I don't seem to sweat normally, I think I am dehydrated for some reason even thought I consume at least 9 to 10 glasses of water a day, some of that is replaced by Gatorade. However, I notice a wrinkled look to the skin on my hands and arms, is that a symptom of the menopause or am I dehydrated?
Lisa DOB:1960
Peri,
fibroids,
low grade cervical dysplasia (cryotherapy done Dec. 21st) (cured as of June 27th, 2009)
ladydebubba
One HOT Woman!

Re: Intolerance to heat

Postby gorgeousfluffpot » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:09 am

I don't know whether Tennessee or the south of France are on the same equatorial band but it is hot, hot, HOT sticky and humid here and I'm pouring sweat like a pig and drinking so much water than I'm running to the loo every five minutes.
I think there is some menopausal demon at work here. I could always tolerate the heat, in fact I was and still am a sun addict, the hotter the better for me. Ignore all that "only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun" nonsense - I was out in it every day, no suncream and no hat (yes yes I know, but Mediterranean heritage gives me some advantages in the sun!).
But it's like my thermostat has gone a bit potty. I'm hot when others are warm, I'm hot when others are cold. Being the only people in the south of France without their own pool I can't even go for a plunge in some cold water although we have a muddy old lake which is looking very tempting at the moment.
What I have stopped doing is wearing antiperspirant, though. I don't think that helps. Your body is trying to let go of heat and sweat and you put on products to keep it in - not very natural. I've posted elsewhere about the French custom of keeping armpit hair, which disseminates heat. That's getting tempting but I would have to be very hot and desperate to let my armpit hairs sprout.
I find myself lingering at the frozen food cabinets in the supermarket, even opening some drawers and leaning over to put my face in (being careful not to fall in, don't want to be up-ended amongst the frozen chips with my legs waving frantically skywards!).
I was told that one test of dehydration is to pinch the skin on your knuckles - if it stays scrunched up after you release the pinch then you are dehydrated. But I can't drink any more than I am already and I am piddling like there is no tomorrow.
So, LadyDeBubba, guess you and I have to live with this and accept that we are dehydrated and need to drink more. Good excuse to open that chilled bottle of white wine in the fridge ....?
Take cover! Hormones on the rampage again ...
gorgeousfluffpot
One HOT Woman!

Postby minniepauz » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:45 pm

I'm 20 years since my last period and at least 10 years past the hot flash stage, but I still do not tolerate heat and humidity. I puff up as soon as the humidity starts rising. To this day I sleep with a fan on me summer and winter. Here's something interesting I found:

Hydration & menopause
Again, like many other conditions, in addition to adequate hydration, maintaining a healthy lifestyle can help delay menopause & ease symptoms.

Avoiding dehydration in the first place is preferable to trying to correct dehydration after severe, early menopause is under way.

Menopause tips
Aim to drink ½ to 2/3 of your body weight in pounds, in ounces of water per day. So, if you weigh 150, you should drink at least 75 ounces per day, preferably 100 ounces a day.
minniepauz
Site Admin

Postby ladydebubba » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:11 am

I probably consume at least 80 ounces of water a day. I drink three 16.9 ounce bottled waters a day, which is equal to 9- 8 ounce bottles of water a day, plus I probably consume at least 8 ounces of Gatorade at home every day, plus drink several glasses of water in the evening at home. So I think I'm getting enough hopefully, but I hate that I am 48 and my skin is starting to look half as wrinkled as my mom's who is in her early 80's. This sucks. But I just have to deal with it and cannot wait until cooler weather. Thanks for the replies everyone. :D
Peri,
fibroids,
low grade cervical dysplasia (cryotherapy done Dec. 21st) (cured as of June 27th, 2009)
ladydebubba
One HOT Woman!

Postby soomansymptoms » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:33 am

I have the same problem with heat too - (and I think I am up to symptom 40 on the pre meno list!!!) even tho only 35 documented. Also have the wrinkly crepey paper look to my hands - used to be mainly on one but now on both. Think it must be something to do with meno as I have had it for years and been in peri for what seems like for ever, at least 8 years so far. Try keeping them well moisturised by wearing a pair of COTTON gloves whilst sleeping (or trying to sleep) after putting a good amount of organic hand cream on. It is important to use organic because some chemicals used in beauty products can dry out the skin even more. Also put on hand cream, if possible each time you wash or have your hands in water. :wink:
soomansymptoms

Postby ladydebubba » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:23 pm

I hear you about the wrinkly crepey paper look to the hands, however, my arms look that way also. Luckily here it will be cooling down temp wise within the next 2 to 4 weeks as it is nearing Fall, then hopefully I will be able to tolerate things better heat wise. I use a moisturizing lotion daily, but it is not organic, I will have to find some organic lotion somewhere.
Peri,
fibroids,
ladydebubba
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause