Mirena IUD for symptoms-

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Mirena IUD for symptoms-

Postby psexypsychic » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:48 am

Oh, there's a long story about how I was going to the "Women's Health Clinic" at the veteran's hospital, assuming I was being seen by "women's health" doctors (or, student doctors as the VA hospital is a teaching hospital). I found out last year that I was not being seen by anyone with any kind of specialty in women's health.

Since I was 34 (I just turned 40 a week ago), I have complained of peri-menopause symptoms. I took in the list of symptoms with what I suffered through circled. I kept track of my hot flashes (by literally carrying a notepad with me, writing the date and a single line for each hot flash- I averaged more than 20 a day). All this time, I was getting tests done to rule out anything else. That's how the diagnosis came about- they ruled out everything else and it turns out that diagnosis wasn't even "official".

In the midst of all this, my thyroid went all wonky again and I gained some weight. Then they fixed my thyroid medicne dosage and I promptly slipped on the ice and injured my knee. We danced for another three years before the VA doctors gave me a letter of referral to see an off-site surgeon and on March 18, 2009, I had my left knee replaced.

However, on New Year's Eve (yeah, Happy New Year, get in the sturrups), I had the Mirena IUD put in. The VA finally sent me to a gynecologist who decided I do not have perimenopause, despite proof otherwise. She said, and this cracks me up and pisses me off simultaneously- that I'm having symptoms because I'm overweight. Apparently, being fat makes you store estrogen or something like that. Well, that's jim-dandy, Doctor Gyno... except I was having these symptoms BEFORE I gained the weight.

It seems that my requests for any kind of help were ignored. I would go in for my doctor visits, beg for a hysterectomy- get denied, ask for birth control pills so I could at least get my cycle back on a predictable course (and a little more controlled, because the gross-ness that came with it all was really disgusting). They kept refusing. That's when that gyno stepped in and said they wanted to use the Mirena.

I couldn't tell if it was helping me because I literally spotted every single day for almost 8 months. I had a period two weeks after implantation- a really gross and disgusting thing that lasted for 10 straight days (you know how most periods go for a few days, taper off and then go away- this didn't. It flowed like an uncorked dam for 10 straight days. Day 11 it outright stopped). Then again in February. All the while, I spotted every single day.

I had my knee replacement surgery and was put on Oxycontin and Oxycodone for six weeks. My life was obviously turned upside down by this whole surgery and the pain I was in took a forefront in my mind over the peri-symptoms.

But, I have a new doctor now (because the VA rotates them as they graduate) and she's asked me to keep track of my symptoms for her- because the OTHER doctor never documented the ones I had before. Nice, huh?

It turns out that this stupid IUD finally seems to be working. I'm down from having over 20 hot flashes a day to maybe five a day- if even that. I still have a few other symptoms, mood swings and such, but the hot flashes are nearly gone.

I don't like the IUD because of the whole 8 months of daily spotting, but it seems to have finally done what it was supposed to- stop my periods (I think a hysterectomy would be better) and cut down on the hot flashes.

If you've read this whole thing, thanks!

*~my MySpace~*

diagnosed perimeno at 36 years old
psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Re: Mirena IUD for symptoms-

Postby minniepauz » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:01 pm

You've sure been put through the wringer!! I'm so glad I was totally healthy when I was having to depend on military doctors!! Hang in there and I'm so glad you're finally seeing some progress and even a doctor who may actually LISTEN to you! The rest of them were way behind the times on what is going on with women!

My girlfriend has had that IUD for about 8 years now and wouldn't give it up for anything!
minniepauz
Site Admin

Re: Mirena IUD for symptoms-

Postby psexypsychic » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:42 pm

I wasn't happy with the gyno because she copped an attitude when I asked if she was a student or a full-fledged doctor. She was a full-fledged doctor, but hell, in the VA hospital, she's gotta expect that! We see students 90% of the time!

I had asked for birth control pills and was quizzed about why I wanted them. I said to control my periods, make them predictable again, maybe do something about the icky factor (only I used graphic descriptions). She said, "Well, what have you been using for birth control till now?"

"uh... vasectomy? I don't want BIRTH CONTROL, I want hormone control. I want the hot flashes and all this to ease up. I want to feel human again!" I suppose they get that a lot, I don't know.

But, my new GP actually seems good. We'll have to wait and see on her, but at least she's not doing what the last guy did-

"Your knees hurt because you're overweight."
Me: "No, I'm overweight because of my knees hurting. Look back at my records, you can see- weight increase with knee injury... and if my knee had been fixed then, I wouldn't have THIS." (meaning the weight).

This lady looked back and agreed... "You can see the line going up with each visit... its clearly your knees."

I have a follow-up with her in November. We'll go from there. ;)

*~my MySpace~*

diagnosed perimeno at 36 years old
psexypsychic
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause