Cold flashes anyone?

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Cold flashes anyone?

Postby wkylady » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:51 pm

So has anyone else out there had experience with cold flashes? I had heard of hot flashes, but didn't know about cold flashes. Then I started having chills a lot, and I wasn't sick. Did some research and learned there was such a thing as cold flashes. This was news to me, and to my doctor too. Mentioned it to him during a visit for something else, and he had never heard of them before.

But, if you think about it, it makes sense. If your body can malfunction and make you too hot, then it just makes sense that it can go the other way as well.
-- Jacqueline
wkylady

Re: Cold flashes anyone?

Postby gorgeousfluffpot » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:29 am

You're not alone, in addition to my hot flashes I sometimes have what I describe as 'ice fire' flashes. They're sort of cold but don't make my physically cold, but are an entirely different sensation to the overheating that I experience. I can't even describe them too well, except that it's sort of like ice in my veins while the rest of me is on fire ... very odd.
I've given up trying to explain or rationalise some of the odd body symptoms I have. I've got off fairly light on the physical stuff, and get the doom and blues occasionally which is awful, and I also get some twinges and aches ... but perhaps that's due to age? I'm coming up to 52 (eeeekkk!! double -eeeeek! In my head I'm still a 22-year old hippie flower child ...). Anyway, some of this may be due to ageing, some to the cold weather, sometimes I feel like I have 'growing pains' in my legs and bones like I had when I was a teenager. Very odd.
So, Jacqueline, what you write is perfectly possible. Our bodies are a foaming maelstrom of chemicals and hormones and sometimes they clash and collide and produce the strangest sensations ...... :D
Take cover! Hormones on the rampage again ...
gorgeousfluffpot
One HOT Woman!

Postby parts2you » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:37 pm

did i write that???????? oh,no fluffpot did...but i could have...almost every word of it.
yeah the cold flash thing is happenin here...yesterday all day i was fine inside...normal..not hot not cold, then all of a sudden i am freezing and the temp is the same. but with me it lasts for hours. figures, i could use the hot flashes now... :banghead:
parts2you
One HOT Woman!

Postby gracious granny » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:06 pm

Yes, you are definitely not alone, during the entire transition I may have had 10 warm flashes. The only real vasomotor symptom I really had was cold flashes. I though I was going to freeze solid, LOL. I went around bundled up like I was headed to the Artic. Black Cohosh really helped with that. Its not so bad now, except when the weather is super cold like it has been here lately and in the summer I can't tolerate much air conditioning.
My husband has heard so many stories from other men about their wives "freezing" them nearly to death when they went through menopause but he says I have roasted him. I keep the heat turned up high all winter and the AC down or off in the summer. I guess its different for everybody.
" Lifes a dance you learn as you go"..............
gracious granny
Combustible

Postby ladydebubba » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:31 pm

I have them also, besides the hot flashes, have had them on and off for years, I have for years gotten the weird chills on my arms. All part of it.
Lisa DOB:1960
Peri,
fibroids,
low grade cervical dysplasia (cryotherapy done Dec. 21st) (cured as of June 27th, 2009)
ladydebubba
One HOT Woman!

Postby tinabee » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:11 pm

Oh yeah.....I've had these. I wake up in the middle of the night and I'm just looking for the covers, my teeth chattering as if I have the flu. I just had one of these darned chills this morning.
tinabee

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause