Menopause symptoms at 43?

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

Menopause symptoms at 43?

Postby tinabee3 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:38 am

My name is Tina and I am 43. This is a list of the symptoms I have been experiencing and they have all kind of come on over a period of time but the severity has increased recently:

Hot flashes. I don't get soaked from head to toe like a lot of other people do, but I feel sweaty and gross from my neck up.

Cold chills without any hot flashes. I had one of those last night and it felt like the kind of chills that are associated with a fever!

Tingling in extremedies that comes and goes. I usually feel it in the AM. It doesn't last long.
Sometimes I feel them in my arms or hands, sometimes in my feet.

Heart palpitations in the AM, sometimes before I go to bed. Almost feels like I drank too much caffeine. No shortness of breath associated with them, though.

Incontinence. If I don't obey the urge to go immediately, I can pretty much count on having an accident since my body justs want to let loose the urine. Can't tell you how many times I've gone to the bathroom in the middle of the night or coming home from work and barely made(or didn't make) it!!

Flu like body aches that travel throughout my upper body, back and shoulders.

Indigestion, gas, belching. I don't get tummy aches, but if I eat something bad for me then I am bloated and belching almost immediately. If I have the indigestion, I can pretty much count on having the body aches afterwards.

Irregular periods, of course. Sometimes, I'm 28 days, others 32, 23, 35. I almost had a couple of accidents at work earlier this year. Last month I was a full 5 days early.

One night when I was having a really scary hot flash with heart palps, I took a cold glass of water, sat at my computer for a half hour and calmed down and within that half hour I was able to relax, let the symptoms subside and go back to sleep. That little voice inside my head told me it was merely menopause and not something worse. On taking the time do to some more research I realized there are many other women going through the same things I am.

I don't want to do HRT, but prefer a more natural approach that doesn't have dangerous or unwanted side effects. I've been working on totally changing my diet and possibly going on natural progesterone cream or bioidentical hormone therapy.

I welcome any suggestions. :D
tinabee3

Re: Menopause symptoms at 43?

Postby misspebbles71 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:27 pm

Hi Tina! I'm Chris. I'm 38 (soon to be 39 in October). I have all of the symptoms you mentioned and more. I just had my annual GYN exam and my doctor is 95% sure I'm going through PeriMenopause. She ordered a bunch of blood tests to make sure that there's nothing else going on though.

My advice to you would be to start at the bottom. Meaning, talk to your female relatives and see if there is any history of Thyroid, Heart, Diabetes, Cancer, etc, problems in the family. Any problems you should be aware that may cause similar symptoms. Think about your periods, any changes you've experienced, any surgeries you've had, and the symptoms you're having. Write down everything you can. Next, you can go to the Menopause Oasis and check out their list of symptoms. http://cl-klrambo-ivil.tripod.com/menopauseoasis/
Print it out. Then make a doctor's appointment and take all the information you have gathered and your checklist with you.

You can also go to the main Minnie Pauz site, http://www.minniepauz.com/
and there is alot of information for you there too. You can find a symptoms checklist, listing of books to read and other important links also.
Dee has put together a great informative site and the there are alot of ladies here who can help you out with advice as well.
I hope I've been able to help you a little.
~ Chrissie ~
misspebbles71
Warm Pauzer

Postby tinabee » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:57 pm

Thank you for the links and the answer. :)

Right now, I am concentrating on improving my diet. I had a party at my house this weekend and ate too much junk. Back in the day, I could eat all that without consequence, but not anymore. :yuck: It's taken me a few days for my tummy to recover from that mess! That night was the evening I felt all of almost all those aforementioned symptoms. Scared the crap out of me until I realized what it all was. No, I was not dying (I'm still here!!) no, I was not going crazy.

To top it all off, I feel like I am going to start my period. If I start this weekend, it will be a full 5-6 days early. :roll:
tinabee

Postby misspebbles71 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:20 am

You're very welcome. If it does start early, make sure you make a note of it. That's another symptom of premenopause.... changes in periods. Mine were on time every month for the last 10 years. Then one month it was a week late, next month it was only spotty, then every month after that, it's always different (very short days, heavy flows, spotting or late periods). :roll:
I keep track of everything and it really helps when it comes to the doctor visits.
~ Chrissie ~
misspebbles71
Warm Pauzer

Postby Zira » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:29 am

Hi Tina, I started in peri meno at age 42.. It was just a missed period and I thought I was pregnant !!.. Nothing more for couple of years and then irregular, changed periods started.. I went full blown into peri at age 47.. Hot facial flushes, awful neck and shoulder tension, digestive upsets, anxiety ( which I had never had before ), just felt "off" . My transition took 6 years, but of those 6 years I would say 7-8 months were the worst..Things came in phases after that ..
Zira

Postby tinabee » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:07 pm

Well I ended up starting my cycle two days late. A really good friend of mine stayed over for the weekend and she thinks I am also suffering from depression, which I know is a symptom. The fatigue......that part is the worst of all. I hate it!

I am glad to know I'm not the only one going through all of this. Thank you, all. :)
tinabee

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause