What kind of calcium?

This is the place to talk about it, whether you're peri or post! If you don't see a topic that suits you, just start a new one!

What kind of calcium?

Postby Zero » Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:44 am

I have been trying to narrow the field when it comes to what kind of calcium is best for most of us.
Some of the information I found is at http://www.minniepauz.com/calcium.html

I had seen the coral calcium infomercials, but was suspicious of the claims made and I recently found this news report:
Good Housekeeping Study Shows Claims Are Misleading
Coral calcium is a supplement that makers claim can slow aging. The calcium is taken from coral mined in the waters off Okinawa, Japan.

"Coral calcium is being really marketed to really anyone who has a health problem," said Delia Hammock of Good Housekeeping.

A recent Good Housekeeping study looked in to the claims of an infomercial, and found the advertisement went too far and promised too much.
------------------------------
Here's what I take and why:

I've spent several years now trying to determine what kind of things (vitamins, minerals, supplements) I should be taking to stay healthy. I've never taken hormone replacement and I don't like taking a lot of pills anyway, so I've done a lot of research to find out what was essential for a woman my age. The most obvious is the calcium/magnesium and I had been using a liquid form (or powder in gel caps) to get the quickest absorption. All those HUGE pills are usually "eliminated" from our bodies before the good stuff can be absorbed sufficiently, therefore we're not getting the benefits that we are paying dearly for.

When I finally had a list of everything I felt was important, I was overwhelmed by the number of pills I would have to take! AND the SIZE of the pills was enough to gag an elephant, so when I found New Vision products I was thrilled that I could get all the nutrients I need in a form that would be the most effective. I have been taking this product for a month now and have determined that it's worth passing the information on to you. As you know, I take my recommendations very seriously and after the research I've done on New Vision, including speaking with their research and development department, I'm pleased to suggest that you check this out. I am taking the Essential Vitamins™, Essential Minerals™, Liquid Essentials for Women™ and the Essential Calcium™ with Magnesium and Vit D (it's effervescent!) and everything tastes wonderful!

I was introduced to New Vision products by one of their distributors, Mr. Amir Nabri, who has been extremely helpful in answering my questions and providing extensive information about the products. call him directly at 1-866-840-9501 for personal assistance. Tell him you're a Minnie Pauzer and you'll be treated like the Queen you are. :)
-----------------------------
Ladies, it has come to the point where we have to research every single report or claim that we hear, especially when it comes to anything that is vital to our health. If we keep each other informed (it's now so easy to post a quick message on this board), then we will eventually be able to keep tabs on what works and what doesn't. Thank you (in advance) for contributing your personal results with certain products or for information on any reports you come across (please always show the source with a link when possible)

This thread is about calcium, but I will try to copy the other threads (black cohosh, avlimil(sp), progesterone cream) from the old message board and put them each on their own thread.

I just believe we have to be a little suspicious (well, maybe a LOT suspicious) when it comes to all the products that are being shoved in our face on a daily basis. These companies have finally figured out the buying power women have and they're pulling out all the stops!
Last edited by Zero on Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zero

Postby angela in sweden » Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:17 pm

Hey Dee!
I've been considering Caltrate Soy 600 with Vitamin D. What do you think about it?
angela in sweden

Postby Zero » Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:32 pm

angela in sweden wrote:Hey Dee!
I've been considering Caltrate Soy 600 with Vitamin D. What do you think about it?

Hi Angela! I've thrown all those calcium pills away since I found out they weren't being absorbed into my system quick enough to gain any benefits. You're better off taking a liquid calcium (with magnesium & VitD) or a capsule that has those ingredients in powder form. I'm not sure what you can find in Sweden, but I found the liquid in a healthfood store and the capsule form in GNC stores. You may be able to order these off the internet if you can't find them locally. Do a search for "liquid calcium with magnesium"... the magnesium helps you absorb the calcium and also helps with sleep and leg cramps.

My favorite so far for effectiveness and quality is the product mentioned above, but again, I'm not sure if you can get it in Sweden. Just use anything but those big old highly compressed pills. :)
Zero

Postby Tracy » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:54 am

Hi Dee. I know you prefer liquid calcium and I intend to look for that. But I currently have a pretty good supply of Viactive. The chewy chocolate things. Do you know anything about them? Do they absorb? I'm really concerned about taking the right thing because my mom had ostoeperosis and broke a hip at 62. We are all small women in my family, under 120lbs and I am going through menopause early at 43. I have all of the risk factors and am pretty scared. Hope to get a bone density test next month. Thanks for all of your help. I feel so lucky to have found this board. I feel a little less crazy now.
43 newly diagnosed as menopausal
Tracy
Warm Pauzer

Postby Zero » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:08 am

Hi Tracy! Welcome to our little tea party! :) I'm glad you found us too because the more women who share their experiences here, the more we can get a true picture of what women are dealing with. We can't always count on medical reports or studies, can we? It's better to get the stats from the horse's mouth...I always say! hahahah...actually, I've never said that in my life, but .... oh well!

Regarding Viactiv.... considering you mentioned that the women in your family are small, you probably don't have to worry about the sugar in Viactiv.... I've been on a low carb eating plan for a couple of years now and that's what made me run from Viactiv. :) I admit I would love to be able to use it for my calcium, but I won't because of the sugar in them.

Here's a good place to get some varying views (they seem to be highly rated): http://www.epinions.com/Viactiv_Soft_Ca ... y_~reviews

I'm looking other places for your question about absorption....

Here's a very informative page about our calcium intake:
http://www.brown.edu/Student_Services/H ... health.htm
Zero

Postby silenagig » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:01 pm

I take 600 gms of calcium carbonate a day. I heard that is the best.
silenagig

Postby visitor » Tue May 31, 2005 4:44 pm

I am really confused now because I was told that Calcium Citrate was the best. :shock:

I think I will stick with it because that is what the info i have says but next time i am looking for the liquid.
visitor

Re: What kind of calcium?

Postby vegangirl59 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:08 pm

Hi there,
I often wonder why the media and drs talk about calcium by itself like its a mineral that is suppose to be taken alone. In nature (like in foods), calcium is never without magnesium and those 2 minerals are in practically every fruit and vegetable on the planet.
vegangirl59

Postby bobbi54 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:23 pm

I take a coral calcium also as it has all the minerals that we need for our body. I just recently found a brand called "Ionic Fizz" It comes in a Calcium Plus and a Magnesium plus. In this powder, fizzy form it seems to be absorbed better than in pill form. I'm taking the magnesium one also for my bones. Bobbi
bobbi54
Warm Pauzer

Postby njwhite » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:32 pm

Remember to take calcium with you largest meal and not with any thyroid meds or acid reducing meds like Nexium. Calcium needs acid to be absorbed correctly and Nexium type products reduce acid. Calcium also lowers the absorption of thyroid.
njwhite
Combustible

Quick Reply

Return to Menopause