Going to the Doctor today

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Going to the Doctor today

Postby Mom2EmandPatch » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:24 pm

I have my annual appt. with my GYN today and am thrilled to have found this sight with the list of possible symptoms. Some of my cousins-in-laws have been talking about being peri for some time now. I didn't really worry about it since I'm only 37, seemed a little young but that's not what I'm reading here.

I'm not worried about it, I've got two beautiful healthy kids, 1 of each, just as I planned and prayed for. Had my tubes tied then an emergency hysterectomy (Dr. still charged me for tying the tubes :^)) So, I'm not bothered by the thought of entereing menopause. I just feel like I'm going crazy and can't get a handle on it. My family is sufferin and probably my employer also.

What exactly can my doctor do to make a positive determination? I've got my list of symptons/concerns. How can I stress my concerns to him if he dismisses them?

Thanks.
Mom2EmandPatch

Postby drjudy » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:36 pm

Dear Mom2,

As I've mentioned in previous posts, women who've had hysterectomies with ovaries left behind tend to run out of ovarian function much earlier than they would've without the surgery.

I usually run an FSH level on women post-hysterectomy who are wondering about menopause. Sometimes, I check a bioavailable estradiol level. No matter what the tests show, however, if you are not feeling as well as you'd like to, that is a legitimate concern that should be taken very seriously by your professional partner in health care. If he dismisses them--to be quite frank--I'd find another doctor!

Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby Mom2EmandPatch » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:04 am

Thank you for your response. He did say that it is very unlikely but he is sending me for a FSH and LH. I don't think that he will ever just randomly "dismiss" me, at least not again.
Mom2EmandPatch

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause