Newbie with questions

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Newbie with questions

Postby bizykatbird » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:49 am

Hi,
I'm Kathy, and I am 41 years old, well...almost 42, :D . About a year ago I went to the dr. for a physical and was put on antidepressants because of irritibilty, mood swings. 1st he put me on Lexapro, then because of decreased sexual desire I had him change it. I tried Wellbutrin, but had alot of side effects with it, and was switched to a new antidepressant called Cymbalta. Well things were going real well for a while, but after a month and a half it seems I have gotten really depressed and have no sexual desire AT ALL. I went off the medication a couple days ago and am going to try to do without it.
I have been wondering if I was in peri menapause, and perhaps that is the real root of my problems. I have night sweats, irritability, trouble sleeping. loss of libido, weight gain and memory lapses. And something else I have noticed that I don't know if it is related to it or not, but the Dr. just shrugged it off (male Dr.), like its no big deal. When I urinate, after stopping, or thinking I have stopped, I will begin to urinate again not just a teaspoon or so, but like starting all over. I saw that incontinence was a symptom, and didn't know if this could be as well.
Right now my main problems are with the night sweats , loss of libido, and biting people's heads off .
Does anyone have any suggestions how I can control these things?
Kathy
bizykatbird
Warm Pauzer

peri s/s

Postby kittycat » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:23 pm

:oops: Yes! I think you are in perimenopause. I am 40 and these s/s have come and gone mild when I first started and then this last year I had surgery in May and it really stirred up the big pot of hormones. Go to another doctor!!! Have they checked your hormone levels? Have you seen your OBGYN MD about your s/s? I went in and told mine what was going on and he patted me on the back and said you will be fine, this is all normal. At first I was kinda mad then I asked him what to do and he put me on bcp. I am feeling much, much, much better since I have been on them! If you have had a change in your period at all and do have those s/s then think about it! It won't hurt to get a second opinion. I know the risks of bcp, but right now with my crazy busy family life I don't have time to deal with menopause issues. I have also been (walking) excercising 20 min three times a week! That has helped with mood, muscle soreness and libido!! Hope you find out what is going on soon! Take care!
Perimenopause symptoms: mild s/s since 2000 major s/s May 2004. On Yasmin BCP, have ovarian cyst on right 3 cm with intermitent pain.
Possible lap in Jan if pain does not go away. :0)
kittycat

Postby bizykatbird » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:27 am

The sad thing about it, is when I try to talk to friends (even my best friend) they all tell me NO, you are too young! It's nice to be able to talk to people who are going through this and don't think I am crazy. Thanks! :D
Kat
bizykatbird
Warm Pauzer

Postby Zero » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:44 am

No, you're not crazy, Kathy! :) Well, at least not any crazier than the rest of us! It's not that uncommon for you to be experiencing peri-menopause symptoms at your age (my periods STOPPED at 41), so instead of relying on a non-responsive doctor to tell you, use your instincts and TRUST yourself that you know when things are just not like they used to be. Read as much as you can, talk to other women and stay educated about what the symptoms are, what the alternatives are and which way you want to approach it. You might decide to take hrt for awhile or you might want to go the natural route. Whichever you decide is fine as long as it's best for YOU. :)
Zero

Postby drjudy » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:49 am

Dear Kathy,

I hate it when we doctors tell patients that they can't be feeling what they say they are feeling.

One of the most remarkable changes in a woman's mental outlook I've ever seen occurred recently as I treated a patient in her mid 30s. She'd become quite anxious, actually had to go on temporary disability as she couldn't cope with her job. She was also having some mild glitches in her cycle.

We tried several drugs with more or less success, but she was still unable to cope with work and barely coped with her children. Having just read Suzanne Sommers book, I thought we should try a small amount of estrogen. I put her on the lowest dose of Vivelle Dot along with her anti-anxiety medication.

The change was prompt and dramatic. On her next visit, her face just glowed. She felt wonderful.

The hardest task is for both doctors and patients to stick with the problem until a solution is found. Doctors get uncomforatable when they can't find solutions, and patients, particularly depressed patients, get discouraged, and their depression feeds the message 'I can't be helped.'

I agree with all who've responded here--look for another opinion!

Best wishes,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause