wondering if I am....?

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

wondering if I am....?

Postby changes » Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:21 am

One of my friends just educated me on the word peri-menopause, which I never knew there was. How she came to let me in on this peri-pause is that i had a question asking her why or what my symptoms are??

I have seen my doctor {female physician} with complaints {over last hree years} {longer with the depression} about fatigue, night sweats, why my palm and feet always feel sweaty but there is none present {always hot palms and soles of feet} nightmares, insomnia, lack of eating {now increased} and irregular periods, such as twice a month, once a month, once a month, twice a month, twice a month, once a month, an irregular sequence. {heavy or scampy, more heavy and painful} Lately and I am going to make an appointment once this new year day is over, lately, i have had swollen breasts that seem like balloons that are sorer than sore encompassing the whole breast and some of the side of into the armpit, tender and sore, as if I were going through puberty over again. some tingling sensation and achiness in upper arm underneath, stinging or pulling in both, or a slight burning sensation everywhere described. I also noticed clear discharge droplet at the nipple. I have no clue but am frightened to death as my aunt had breast cancer, survived, but then bone cancer ten years later and passed quickly after finding out. My mother had breast cancer three years ago, survived, still survived, but now going in for a bone test.

Now i have been really tired and stressful, a tiny depressed {but it could be due to a loss of job i loved} since august, but what are all these symptoms going on?

what am i told? I am told nothing, just nothing.

I have had a hormone testing done one yr ago and well, the levels came back normal. but symptoms fluctuate soemtimes dont they?

I wish i had answers, to better health, eating, about aging, about things to expect and wish I didnt have a doctor that can find nothing, everytime!

I am 36 by the way, is this too young? am I too young to be concerned about me?

I gained weight slightly due to not working, home with kids, blah blah blah. i was with tedious and constant moving while i was working, 115-120 lbs. now i am thinking i might be about 127-129 lbs} this is normal i think, activity has been much less. my frame stands 5'3-4 inches.

{just alittle info included if needed}

i know i know, blah blah blah...... :oops:
changes

Postby Zero » Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:11 am

Hi changes, welcome to our little corner of the hormone jungle, where everyone has questions and the answers are different for each of us!! No wonder we wander around thinking we must be going nuts! :)

You have a lot going on and although it's not unheard of for someone your age to be experiencing what you are, there are a lot of factors that make it important for you to keep tabs on the information that relates to you.

I'm sure Dr. Judy will be able to give you some direction as to what to ask your doctors (and also what to demand of them when they're so non-chalant about your concerns). She keeps an eye on this topic as well as "Ask the Professional", so you should be hearing from her soon.

In the meantime, try to read as much as possible here on the board and on the website. If you use the search feature (top of the page) and type in "early menopause" you will find a lot of information about your age and what other women are experiencing, which always seems to give us some comfort to know we're not alone and not making these things up!!

Best wishes to you!
Zero

Postby drjudy » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:39 am

You are experiencing the absolute worst that perimenopause has to offer, and right on with your description that it's like going through puberty all over again. Then, as now, the ovaries are functioning erratically, often unable to produce the monthly egg (ovulation) but still able to pump out lots of estrogen in response to frantic messages from the pituitary gland at the base of the brain that an egg is needed.

As a result, periods are heavy at times and irregular, often with shorter cycles, and the breasts...boy, I certainly would not like to go through that again. I call it feeling like two breasts with an attached woman--they're so tensely swollen and sore, and often no relief when the period comes. I certainly understand your fear of breast cancer--with your family history you need close surveillance, but this particular bunch of breast symptoms is not cancer.

I have not found a perfect answer to this phase, but cycle progesterone can relieve some of the misery. You might want to look at Dr. John Lee's books about perimenopause and menopause. I don't agree with him that progesterone is the answer to all the problems we experience, but these are very informative books about the entire process and will give you a basis for discussion with your doctor. If your doctor is unfamiliar with the wild ride of perimenopause, ask around for a recommendation about an MD who is.

Good luck in your search. Remember, this is a phase that will pass, but it is incredible and annoying how long the passage takes at times.

Best wishes,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

My Body is freaking out !!!

Postby Kyia_cRaZy » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:47 pm

Hi ,This is my first time here ..Im 35 and for the past 3 months my body has been freaking out and going through changes .I dont sleep hardly ever ,I wake up after 3 hours of sleep and stay up for at least that many before I fall back .I have hot flashes, one min I am fine the next my head feels like its gonna blow up from being so hot and the sweat just rolls down .I have pms horrible ,I have never had a problem with this ever ,I will be crying one min ,then angry ,then depressed,my breast get so sore .I feel like I am losing my mind .I have this strange white liquid that has been comming out of my vagina ,it has no
smell. I get headaches horrible ,my memory is bad ,I have horrible heart palpatations ,I have had many panic attacks .Could all this be pre - or menopause ?
Kyia_crazy
Kyia_cRaZy

Postby drjudy » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:12 pm

This does also sound like perimenopause, with wilder swings in your hormonal levels through your cycles exaggerating the premenstrual troubles and also bringing out depression, anxiety, and hot flashes.

That said, you should know that this could go on for awhile. Your inability to sleep is aggravating everything and worsening your mood problems. I hope that you will seek some medical consultation to ease this miserable transition.

Good luck,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause