New and not sure

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

New and not sure

Postby tracylea » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:03 pm

My name is Tracy and I am 40 years old. I had a period on Jan.18 that lasted until Jan.25 which is a normal cycle for me. On Jan. 28, I started another cycle and it is still going strong. It is bright red and I don't know if I should be scared or if this is "normal". Please help. :?
tracylea

Postby Zero » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:59 pm

tracylea, it sounds like you are experiencing the very first stage of peri-menopause. One of the most common symptoms that things are starting to change is irregular periods and they come in all shapes and sizes. Dr. Judy will be along soon to calm your fears, but I just wanted you to know that we're all here for you anytime you need to ask questions or just talk!

If you haven't seen the list of symptoms that may indicate the onset of menopause (from thousands of women, not doctors), you can see them here (or print them out to take to your doctor): http://www.minniepauz.com/35symptoms.html

Welcome to the club!! :)
Zero

Postby pamibe » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:47 pm

Welcome to the forum, Tracy! Don't ever feel alone, there are... how many, Dee? Something like 40 million women going through some stage of menopause right now? (What a scary thought :lol: )

pam
pamibe

Postby drjudy » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:05 am

Dear Tracy,

What you are describing is undoubtedly, as Dee mentioned, the first sign of perimenopause as your ovaries become less efficient at responding to pituitary cues to ovulate. During a normal cycle, estrogen levels start to rise even before we're done bleeding, an event that helps to heal the uterine lining and stop the flow. As menopause nears (but still could be years away for you), the sharp hormonal upswing doesn't necessarily occur, so periods start and stop and start and stop or go on and on.

All that said, I do think you should see your doctor for two reasons. First of all, there are other possibilities as to why you might be doing this that should be checked (a uterine infection, fibroids, ovarian cyst), and secondly, what a drag to bleed so much! It can ruin underwear, your day, and make you tired and anemic. Not with one period, but if this pattern kept up, you could become iron depleted.

I don't think you need to worry, but check this out with your doctor, even if this screwy period is now tapering off.

Best wishes,
Judy
drjudy
One HOT Woman!

Postby lynie pause » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:41 pm

Hey Tracy,

I feel for ya too, I'm 43, and I used to be every 28 to 32 days between cycles now I'm at 21 to 23 days :evil: and the flow is differant, color and everything. I think it's so nice to have this site and others out there where we all can feel at ease to read others has same or comparing matters to deal with. Good luck girl and hang in there.

Lynie Pause
Is There Not A Cause
lynie pause
Combustible

Menopause Monitor how accurate

Postby tracylea » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:21 pm

I decided to use the Menopause monitor to see if I could verify that I was in pre-menopause. It came up negative. The first time, I forgot to put the cap back on, and the other time, I did put it back on. It says it is 99% as accurate as labs. Does this mean that I probably should go see a doctor and that I am not in the early stages, or that I might just be getting into it and the tester can't pick it up?
tracylea

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause