Wondering what works for others...

For those of you who are just beginning this wonderful process, here we can narrow down the symptoms and ask questions like "am I starting perimenopause?"

Wondering what works for others...

Postby Hopefully » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:28 pm

Yes, I'm truly in the hormonal jungle and trying to figure out the best options to help me with all these symptoms.

Presently, I'm taking Mircette and Vivelle .05, I just added the Vivelle a couple weeks ago. I've taken Mircette for about 3-4 months.

Although I'm taking the above I'm still having the fuzzy thinking, blurred type vision, spacey feeling, lightheadedness, mild mood swings and occasional anxiety.

What is working for some of you ladies. I've been researching tri-estrogen...I'm just considering my options. I will be speaking with my ob/gyn on Monday to discuss my testosterone blood work and other options. Thank God that I finally found an excellent dr.

Thanks for any suggestions and words of encouragement.
Hopefully
Combustible

Postby Coping » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:43 pm

Hopefully,
I hit peri like a brick wall at 40. After much trial and error, we have settled on Yasmin as the birthcontrol pill of choice (I take two packs back to back with one week off), Paxil CR 12.5 for evening out the hills and valleys, and blood pressure medicine. For someone who never took any kind of medicine prior to 40, seems like I have been on nothing but medicine since. I think the key is finding what works for you and we didn't get it right the first time. Also, this combination makes me feel 90% better about 90% of the time. But there are still days I feel awful, my various symptoms flare up but it always passes back to good days.

Hang in there and keep asking questions. My experience taught me that I am my own best advocate. Also, tell a friend. I'm not shy so I talk to anyone who will listen. I don't want anyone I know to hit this phase unaware like I did. I find I get lots of inquires now from friends and have sent many to this site.

Best wishes!
Coping
Hot Pauzer

Postby Hopefully » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:26 pm

Coping wrote:Hopefully,
I hit peri like a brick wall at 40. After much trial and error, we have settled on Yasmin as the birthcontrol pill of choice (I take two packs back to back with one week off), Paxil CR 12.5 for evening out the hills and valleys, and blood pressure medicine. For someone who never took any kind of medicine prior to 40, seems like I have been on nothing but medicine since. I think the key is finding what works for you and we didn't get it right the first time. Also, this combination makes me feel 90% better about 90% of the time. But there are still days I feel awful, my various symptoms flare up but it always passes back to good days.

Hang in there and keep asking questions. My experience taught me that I am my own best advocate. Also, tell a friend. I'm not shy so I talk to anyone who will listen. I don't want anyone I know to hit this phase unaware like I did. I find I get lots of inquires now from friends and have sent many to this site.

Best wishes!

Coping, that brick wall also caught me by surprise :). It was August 2002 a month and year I won't forget...well not too soon at least. I've heard from several other women who are taking Paxil and doing very well. Like yourself they seem to now experience minimum symptoms. Unfortunately, I don't do well with SSRI antidepressants. Wellbutrin has been the only one I've been able to tolerate. Like yourself I'm not shy about discussing the tribulation that I've been through. I believe that women should begin to discuss this issue openingly. My mother never warned told me about this.
Hopefully
Combustible

Quick Reply

Return to Peri (or Pre-) Menopause